Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

from what i understand, this vote was to cut off debate.
    it doesnt mean that the bill will pass, it still needs 60.
    the only way it passes is if either of those biotches from Maine happen to vote yes for this crap

Quote Originally Posted by jamesw62
    from what i understand, this vote was to cut off debate.
    it doesnt mean that the bill will pass, it still needs 60.
    the only way it passes is if either of those biotches from Maine happen to vote yes for this crap
    Why does the bill need 60? The 60 vote is required to shut off debate. The bill only needs 51 votes to pass. The bill will clearly pass now.

There should be no jobs bill passed by any house of the US Congress that doesn't specify E-verify, and Brown along with the others need to be advised that no jobs bill that isn't specifically dedicated to creating private sector non-government funded jobs for US citizens is to be killed, not passed.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by April
    Am I the only one upset about this?????
    No, this is an outrageous vote by all the Republicans who voted to shut off the debate. The only reason I can think of that they supported it is for the tax credits and some highway projects.

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Judy from what i have heard and learned.
    the only bills that can take 51 are spending bills.
    everything else needs 60 votes to pass

Americans United for Change
    P.O. Box 65321
    Washington, DC 20035
    202-470-6954

Look at the website and tell me how closely it looks like something
    that we have seen in the past. like all obama campaign pages?

Our Staff
    Tom McMahon- Acting Executive Director
    Caren Benjamin- Deputy Executive Director
    Jeremy Funk- Communications Director
    Lauren Weiner- Deputy Communications Director
    Shannon Williams- Office Manager

Quote Originally Posted by jamesw62
    Judy from what i have heard and learned.
    the only bills that can take 51 are spending bills.
    everything else needs 60 votes to pass
    No, it's a simple majority vote of a quorum present to pass any ordinary bill. The 60 rule is the 3/5ths required to pass a cloture vote to stop debate and avoid a filibuster which is what happened today. Technically, 12 of the 62 who voted to approve cloture to stop debate could then vote against the bill and kill it. But the Dems have the 51 to pass the bill even if all the Republicans vote against the bill when it comes up for a final vote. We don't have enough to kill the bill unless some Dems fall off the wagon. The time to kill it is to kill the cloture vote.

April
    Scott Brown Ad: New Senator Targeted Over Jobs Bill

As the Senate gets ready to consider its jobs bill this week, a group that works closely with Democratic leadership and the Obama White House is working to pressure newly-elected Sen. Scott Brown (R-Mass.) to support the legislation.
    This is what upset me, he caved to the pressure from Obama and gang, if he caves this easily, I am sure he can be bought off as well. I am very disappointed and will calling him tomorrow, his voice mail is full as it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by April
    Scott Brown Ad: New Senator Targeted Over Jobs Bill

As the Senate gets ready to consider its jobs bill this week, a group that works closely with Democratic leadership and the Obama White House is working to pressure newly-elected Sen. Scott Brown (R-Mass.) to support the legislation.
    This is what upset me, he caved to the pressure from Obama and gang, if he caves this easily, I am sure he can be bought off as well. I am very disappointed and will calling him tomorrow, his voice mail is full as it should be.
    Yeah that could be it. But as I understand it from checking around on the internet a little bit, the reason the other Republicans voted against the bill is because they wanted a LARGER BILL.

If they want tax cuts for business and want to exempt all payroll taxes, then the best plan for that is the FairTax which eliminates all payroll taxes and all income taxes on everyone.

www.fairtax.org

Wake Up Republicans!!

April
    On the Senate’s first day back after a holiday recess, Brown was already on the floor ready to vote when the roll call began. He became the first vote on the first roll call of the week.

His alacrity - unusual in a chamber where senators routinely wander about, chatting with colleagues and ignoring the calling of their names until the last minute - could be attributed to freshman eagerness, seasoned political savvy, or both. When lawmakers decide to oppose their leadership, many vote quickly, before anyone can pressure them to switch their votes, then leave the chamber.

Brown spoke with leadership in both parties before he cast his vote, said Colin Reed, spokesman. And Democrats, who have been incessantly battling the minority party, were delighted.

“I hope this is the beginning of a new day here in the Senate. Whether this new day was created by the new senator from Massachusetts or some other reason, I’m very, very happy that we were able to get this done,’’ Harry Reid, Democrat of Nevada and the Senate majority leader, said on the floor after the vote.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washi ... jobs_bill/

April
    The final vote tally was 62-30.

It had been uncertain earlier in the day whether any Republicans would help Democrats reach 60 votes and overcome the threat of a GOP filibuster. With Sen. Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ) out of the Senate after being diagnosed with stomach cancer, Democrats needed at least two Republican votes to overcome a GOP filibuster threat.

"Work with us on this," Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said moments before the vote. "Show us you're serious about legislating."

Reid also warned Republicans: Fail to support this bill, and the minority would "confirm their reputation as the 'Party of No.'"

And after the vote? "I hope this is the beginning of a new day here in the Senate," Reid said.

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010 ... n-dems.php

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast