Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Sessions torn between Trump, Cruz

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

MW

Sessions torn between Trump, Cruz

Sessions torn between Trump, Cruz

The Alabama senator and lead immigration reform battler is debating himself over a presidential endorsement.

By Burgess Everett
    01/29/16 05:33 AM EST

Seeking to defend his hardline immigration record during Thursday night's debate, Ted Cruz name-dropped Sen. Jeff Sessions five times in a matter of minutes.

But Sessions, who's got more conservative street cred than just about any member of Congress, can't make up his mind whether to back Cruz for president or his other pal in the race, Donald Trump. He likes both of them too much to commit.

“I don’t have any plans. I have no agenda to make any announcement any time soon. I don’t know if I can help or might hurt a candidate,” the Alabama Republican told POLITICO in an interview Thursday. “But fundamentally I think Trump and Cruz are at the top of the heap.”

After Sessions' communications director left his job this week to join Trump's campaign, several media outlets suggested the senator would follow along into the business mogul's fold. On Thursday, Sessions didn't rule out eventually giving one of the candidates his blessing, but not yet.

His indecision comes as one influential conservative after another has come down for Cruz or Trump ahead of Monday's Iowa caucuses. In the past few days, Family Research Council head Tony Perkins and radio host Dana Loesch went for Cruz, and Jerry Falwell Jr. and Sarah Plain threw in for Trump .

Sessions first made waves in the GOP primary last summer when he donned a “Make America Great Again” hat at a Trump rally, when the New Yorker's candidacy was still widely seen as a stunt. At the same time, Sessions has vigorously defended Cruz as his co-conspirator against the Senate’s 2013 immigration bill, and Cruz has responded by invoking Sessions whenever he gets the chance.

There are other senators whose endorsement would be valuable. Sen. Mike Lee of Utah is a rising conservative but seems unlikely to endorse until the field further narrows. And Sen. Tim Scott of South Carolina is planning to weigh in before his important, home state primary.

But Sessions seems to have a special relationship with the right. During Thursday's debate, Cruz repeated Sessions' name when Florida Sen. Marco Rubio confronted him over alleged support for liberal immigration policies in 2013.

"I'll tell you who supported my amendment: Jeff Sessions, the strongest opponent of amnesty in the United States Congress. And he did so because taking citizenship off the table was important, and it revealed the hypocrisy of the proponents of this bill, who were looking for votes," Cruz said.

He mentioned Sessions several more times. Shortly after, Rubio campaign put out a statement documenting the times Sessions and Cruz had disagreed. "Ted Cruz v. Jeff Sessions on Immigration," read the title.

Indeed, anti-immigration activists love Sessions' staunch stands against liberalizing immigration laws.

“Sessions’ endorsement would carry a lot of weight. I just can’t imagine he would endorse anyone yet. Why would you?” said Mark Krikorian, executive director of the Center for Immigration Studies, a think tank that calls for stricter immigration policies.

“If for instance, he endorsed Cruz, what would Trump do?" Krikorian added. "Sessions has more credibility with Trump’s voters than Trump does.”

Just this week, Breitbart, the conservative media outlet, published a story dubbing Sessions the “intellectual leader of the modern conservative movement” that drew more than 8,000 comments. It was just one of many this month to light up the website, which has written positively about Trump.

The decision by Miller, the Sessions aide, to leave for Trump's campaign did not “come lightly, the senator said. But Sessions isn't ready to follow him with an endorsement. He's been debating with himself over who is the superior candidate for his message that blue-collar workers are taking it on the chin.

“Trump has a way of clarifying a message that penetrates ... and so two of the issues that are giving him support are trade and immigration,” Sessions said. “But there are other issues out there. How aggressive should we be in foreign policy? Trump is more modest. A lot of people are anxious about overdoing these foreign entanglements.”

Sessions then turned to Cruz, whose style, diction and preparation are a complete contrast to the off-the-cuff Trump.

Cruz is “so articulate on things like the legal system or taxes or budget, and ... he’s also strong on immigration and he voted against the trade agreement,” Sessions said.

Catherine Frazier, a spokeswoman for Cruz, said that the campaign is "very grateful" for what Sessions has done "to speak the truth about Cruz's record... when others have tried to misconstrue it."

Seung Min Kim contributed to this report.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/0...#ixzz3ygtcHWSB

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    “I don’t have any plans. I have no agenda to make any announcement any time soon. I don’t know if I can help or might hurt a candidate,” the Alabama Republican told POLITICO in an interview Thursday.
    Sen. Sessions endorsement would be huge for either one since many of us out here are going through the same problem he is in making a decision between Cruz and Trump! For me there is absolutely no ones endorsement that would sway me more than Sen. Sessions. I hate to say it, but his endorsement alone would probably be enough to convince me. That is how much faith and trust I have in him.

Sessions is definitely in a better position than we are to judge both candidates on their trustworthiness.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Cruz is “so articulate on things like the legal system or taxes or budget, and ... he’s also strong on immigration and he voted against the trade agreement,” Sessions said.
    Cruz voted against the trade agreement, after he had voted for it. Donald Trump would never vote for one of these stupid trade deals.

Cruz also voted against the reauthorization of the Ex Im Bank. Failure to reauthorize the Ex Im Bank forced Boeing 3 months later to decide to build the first Boeing plant outside the United States in its long and dedicated history of only manufacturing in the United States. That new plant will be built in China instead of the United States in order to take advantage of the export credit provided by the Chinese government. General Electric is also closing 2 plants in the United States because of the failure to reauthorize the Ex Im Bank, a credit service it uses and needs like Boeing and many others. GE is relocating one plant to Canada and another one to France because of their export financing programs.

That means Boeing, GE and many other US manufacturers who have used the Ex Im Bank to support their exports of US made products for 81 years will be making products in China, Canada, France and any other countries instead of the United States, so all these good jobs, the best blue collar and engineering and other white collar jobs still in our country will be leaving, and all the other companies that supply and service these manufacturing companies will be laying off workers because they lost their big customers. For every 1 manufacturing job we lose, we lose 5 others throughout the economy because of the spin-off and multiplier effect of manufacturing.

Positions like this held by Cruz are the epitome of the stupidity and incompetence that Donald Trump rails against.

Articulation only has value when what you have to say has value. When what you have to say is a menace to our country and workers, it doesn't matter how articulate your rehearsed presentation may appear, you are still a menace and a threat to the well-being and national security of the American People and the United States.

China will now have direct access to all of the proprietary flight and operating components of Boeing aircraft thanks to Ted Cruz and every other member of Congress who voted against re-authorization of the Ex Im Bank.

I don't know why anyone interested in preserving and rebuilding our manufacturing base and supporting American Workers would support Ted Cruz who voted for the TPA before he voted against it, testified multiple times under oath in favor of legalization of illegal aliens,and grandstanded in the middle of Congress for 20 minutes calling Mitch McConnell a liar to kill the Ex Im Bank that supports American based manufacturing and US jobs.

Ted Cruz is so stupid and incompetent that he doesn't even know what he's done, the damage he's caused, or the thousands of lives he's ruined. Ted Cruz is not smart. Ambition, articulation and deception are not substitutes for leadership, intelligence and loyalty.

Donald Trump will never do such stupid things that hurt our country. He never has and he never will. He will do the opposite, he will do smart things that stop this immigration and trade problems, deports illegal aliens, brings our companies and jobs back home, and helps US make our country great again.
    Last edited by Judy; 01-30-2016 at 12:05 AM.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by MW View Post
    Sen. Sessions endorsement would be huge for either one since many of us out here are going through the same problem he is in making a decision between Cruz and Trump! For me there is absolutely no ones endorsement that would sway me more than Sen. Sessions. I hate to say it, but his endorsement alone would probably be enough to convince me. That is how much faith and trust I have in him.

Sessions is definitely in a better position than we are to judge both candidates on their trustworthiness.
    You can't seriously believe that Jeff Sessions is struggling with whether or not to support Ted Cruz who "led the fight" to kill the Ex Im Bank reauthorization that has already cost US a new Boeing plant to China and the relocation of two existing GE plants to Canada and France over Donald Trump who would never vote for a stupid trade deal like Cruz did before he voted against it, or ever run our companies out of the country by taking their Ex Im Bank export credit financing away from them that they've needed and relied on for 81 years??!!

No, that won't happen.

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    There you go again, Judy. Why do you so often have to take positive threads and turn them into negative ones?

We've been over this several times. Cruz did the right thing in siding against the Ex-Im bank. Greedy corporations like Boeing and GE have taken advantage of us long enough and don't need subsidized by our tax dollars! We don't need to put taxpayer funds at risk and promote crony capitalism by subsidizing foreign sales by large corporations. The Ex-Im Bank is a classic example of corporate welfare and it needs to end!

You do know that Sen. Sessions voted to table the Kirk Ex-Im Bank Amendment that would have re-authorized the bank, don't you? Sen. Sessions and Cruz both stand against the bank.

Last edited by MW; 01-30-2016 at 01:02 AM.

MW
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    You can't seriously believe that Jeff Sessions is struggling with whether or not to support Ted Cruz who "led the fight" to kill the Ex Im Bank reauthorization that has already cost US a new Boeing plant to China and the relocation of two existing GE plants to Canada and France over Donald Trump who would never vote for a stupid trade deal like Cruz did before he voted against it, or ever run our companies out of the country by taking their Ex Im Bank export credit financing away from them that they've needed and relied on for 81 years??!!

No, that won't happen.
    That's the second time you've basically called Sen. Sessions a liar over the last couple days. Your blind loyalty to Trump is clouding your judgement and is starting to be a real irritant for those of us interested in facts and truth. If I'm the only one that feels that way, than so be it, however, I doubt I am.
    Last edited by MW; 01-30-2016 at 01:04 AM.

I've never called Jeff Sessions a liar or dishonest in any manner at all.

My support for Donald Trump has nothing to do with Jeff Sessions, Ted Cruz or "blind loyalty".

I believe Jeff Sessions when he says he supports our national interest and American Workers. Therefore, it is inconceivable to me that he would endorse a candidate for President who supported legalization until the December 15th GOP Debate when he was corned by Marco Rubio, who voted for ObamaTrade before he voted against it, and who "led the fight" with a 20 minute grandstand in Congress to try and kill Ex Im Bank reauthorization that if reauthorized would have continued to help US manufacturers of US made goods and US workers.

I don't know Jeff Sessions' position on Ex Im Bank, but I can't imagine him wanting to end this 81 year old program that allows our companies to export US made goods that can not be sold without the Ex Im Bank, because their buyers can't secure financing for the purchases.

Therefore, I would be shocked if he supported any candidate for President who wanted to run our best employers out of the country to make and sell goods and services in other countries that would have otherwise been produced here in the US by American Workers and exported with the assistance of the Ex Im Bank.

So no, that won't happen. That would be very bad politics for Jeff Sessions. In fact, that would be a very bad position for any member of Congress from Alabama. Alabamans are hard workers, they like to work for big companies with good jobs, high wages, good benefits and enjoy a good quality of life from their work. Alabamans are some of the hardest workers I've ever met, but they want a good company with good pay, and rightly so. Jeff Sessions would never knowingly sell them out.

It's possible I suppose that Jeff Sessions doesn't know Ted Cruz very well, and wasn't following all of his shenanigans in the Senate. It's even possible that Jeff Sessions didn't realize the impact of Ex Im Bank termination.

In any event, I'm here to report and inform. What people do with the information is up to them.

Meanwhile, Donald Trump would never sell any of US out.

STAY TRUE!! STAY TRUMP!!

I just can't trust Cruz anymore myself. I started off liking him but after getting in on the Tea Party vote he switched it up and now he's switching it up again as he see's that his stance won't win the GOP primary unless he can appear to hardline it on some key issues. He's proven to be a flipflopper and as such to me can't be trusted now.

Further while you talk about the US Government subsidizing big business and corporations who do you think pays for those subsidies? The US leads in the highest business and corporate tax rates in the developed world so in many ways those business's are paying for their own subsidies. Without those subsidies then many business's just can't afford to keep all of their manufacturing in the US or even most of it and compete in prices. I'm totally cool with dumping all the subsidies but also at the same time business taxes and corporate taxes need to be lowered considerably for business's with the majority of their employee's inside the US. Why pay 30-40% when you can get 10-15% in a country that also has cheaper labor costs? Export/import costs are a joke in the US compared to the savings a business can make which means lower prices as well.

Hence I still see Trump as the only trustworthy candidate as every other has either been a flipflopper many times over or straight out sold the American People out. Trump has been saying the same thing for years and much of it the same things I have been saying before I ever started paying attention to Trump. So who should I support, the guy who doesn't think the idea's I have are any good or the guy who thinks the idea's I have are great and hence using those same idea's?

MW
    Judy wrote (excerpts):

I've never called Jeff Sessions a liar or dishonest in any manner at all.
    No, not directly, but IMO it's been implied.

I believe Jeff Sessions when he says he supports our national interest and American Workers. Therefore, it is inconceivable to me that he would endorse a candidate for President who supported legalization until the December 15th GOP Debate when he was corned by Marco Rubio, who voted for ObamaTrade before he voted against it, and who "led the fight" with a 20 minute grandstand in Congress to try and kill Ex Im Bank reauthorization that if reauthorized would have continued to help US manufacturers of US made goods and US workers.
    Trump still supports amnesty. He has never walked back the things he has said. #1 He supports a merit-based system where the good illegals can stay, #2 He has said he supports an expedited return of the "good ones" (illegals) after deportation, #3 He has specifically said he supports comprehensive immigration reform, #4 He has said in an interview that he supports a path for illegals (understood to be a path to legalization and/or citizenship). I've never heard him once say he has officially changed his position on these things.

Cruz did end up voting against obamatrade in the end. That's all that should really matter to you or anyone else.

Cruz's fight against the Ex-Im Bank was because he doesn't support the use of taxpayer dollars to subsidize huge corporations. Being a good steward of our tax dollars is never a bad thing.

I don't know Jeff Sessions' position on Ex Im Bank, but I can't imagine him wanting to end this 81 year old program that allows our companies to export US made goods that can not be sold without the Ex Im Bank, because their buyers can't secure financing for the purchases.
    Sen. Sessions voted against the Kirk Amendment that would have re-authorized the Ex-Im Bank, which would indicate that he does not support the bank. Huge corporations don't need the Ex-Im Bank to sell their goods. They can seek private funding for those transactions just like many other corporations and businesses do. It's really only the huge corporations that use the bank. A bank we're (taxpayers) funding to the tune of 140 billion dollars I might add. It's corporate welfare, pure and simple.

Therefore, I would be shocked if he supported any candidate for President who wanted to run our best employers out of the country to make and sell goods and services in other countries that would have otherwise been produced here in the US by American Workers and exported with the assistance of the Ex Im Bank.

So no, that won't happen. That would be very bad politics for Jeff Sessions. In fact, that would be a very bad position for any member of Congress from Alabama. Alabamans are hard workers, they like to work for big companies with good jobs, high wages, good benefits and enjoy a good quality of life from their work. Alabamans are some of the hardest workers I've ever met, but they want a good company with good pay, and rightly so. Jeff Sessions would never knowingly sell them out.
    Sen. Sessions isn't selling anyone out by standing against the greedy corporations that demand we the taxpayers subsidize them. He's not stupid, he knows good and well they can seek the financing they need elsewhere just like everyone else. Economists, policymakers, and commentators have long understood the many flaws of government-subsidized export schemes. They are unnecessary, inefficient, and unjust. Did you know just 10 corporations are responsible for 76% of the banks loans? Of course Boeing is at the top of the list.

It's possible I suppose that Jeff Sessions doesn't know Ted Cruz very well, and wasn't following all of his shenanigans in the Senate. It's even possible that Jeff Sessions didn't realize the impact of Ex Im Bank termination.
    More than likely it's you that don't know Ted Cruz and Jeff Sessions that well. Of course Sessions knows Cruz very well because they've worked together on a number of issues. Furthermore, I think it's a little pompous of you to think your knowledge of the Ex-Im Bank is greater than that of Sen. Sessions or Sen. Cruz.

Also, ReformUSA12, the Ex Im Bank doesn't actually cost taxpayers anything. It's not subsidies but loan guarantees. The companies pay big fees for the guarantee but then they get the financing and can buy our products. The default rate is very low, less than 3/10 of 1% and these are paid for with the fees paid in or the guarantees. Some years it makes money, other years loses a little bit, but over the years has earned US taxpayers over $7 billion in after expense revenue.
    Last edited by Judy; 01-30-2016 at 02:52 AM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast