Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Should we push Congress to abolish the Electoral College?

I am concern about the up coming elections in the state and federal levels because of it's impact in identifying electoral college members who could potentially over turn the US majority's Presidential votes. Which (God help us) could be some illegal die hards pushing their Presidential candidate instead of the US majority population's candidate.

Am I curious to know if any of our members have been qualified for their state's electoral college. My fear is that next presidential election will force another vote in the so called college which could over turn the US majority's vote. And, the college members are voted on by the 2 major parties at their state level conventions. And, to even be a member you must have served as campaign staff or as a party member who has a lot of face time in the party.

My second thought is; there were discussions a couple of years ago about getting rid of the electoral college. And, if this is a possbility; this issue needs to get (somehow) on the public's minds, in the media, and back on congress's radar because after this year it may be too late to get Congress to abolish it in time for the 08 elections.

I do recall that Lou Dobbs had talk about this a couple of years ago.

Any thoughts and comments are welcomed.

Banned
    Why would we want to do that? Didn't we already screw up the federal election process badly enough when we went to directly elected Senators? the directly elected representatives are supposed to be in the House. The states' representatives were supposed to be in the Senate. The electors on the political inside are supposed to select a President, though we have revised that process to allow for an advisory vote from the state citizens.

The problem is not the election process. It is that we have allowed the office of the Presidency to gather unto itself too much power. If you want do something to reform the system, push to strictly limit the power of executive orders such that they do not have the force and effect of duly enacted laws outside of the executive branch and its employees and officers.

Re: Should we push Congress to abolish the Electoral College

Quote Originally Posted by kgflygirl
    I am concern about the up coming elections in the state and federal levels because of it's impact in identifying electoral college members who could potentially over turn the US majority's Presidential votes. Which (God help us) could be some illegal die hards pushing their Presidential candidate instead of the US majority population's candidate.

Am I curious to know if any of our members have been qualified for their state's electoral college. My fear is that next presidential election will force another vote in the so called college which could over turn the US majority's vote. And, the college members are voted on by the 2 major parties at their state level conventions. And, to even be a member you must have served as campaign staff or as a party member who has a lot of face time in the party.

My second thought is; there were discussions a couple of years ago about getting rid of the electoral college. And, if this is a possbility; this issue needs to get (somehow) on the public's minds, in the media, and back on congress's radar because after this year it may be too late to get Congress to abolish it in time for the 08 elections.

I do recall that Lou Dobbs had talk about this a couple of years ago.

Any thoughts and comments are welcomed.
    Very, very good point KGFLYGIRL!!

That would probably eliminate the possibility of having a corruption-elected president.

And also many republics elect their presidents directly by the universal vote. No third party involved in deciding who will be president!!

Please correct me if I misunderstand how the electoral college works!

Banned
    The better question is whether you understand WHY the electoral college works!

Every change we have made to this government and its electoral process from the one so carefully laid out by this nation's founders has been a disaster that has given MORE power to special interests. Direct election is no panacea, otherwise the Senate would be a paragon of virtue rather than a snake pit.

Quote Originally Posted by CrocketsGhost

Every change we have made to this government and its electoral process from the one so carefully laid out by this nation's founders has been a disaster that has given MORE power to special interests. Direct election is no panacea, otherwise the Senate would be a paragon of virtue rather than a snake pit.
    If you know so well the flaws attached to the electoral process, Could you come up with a suggestion that would answer KGFLYGIRL's concerns?

Why do you think that Hillary & gang are attempting {for some years} to abolish the Electoral College?

Why do you think that the Hispanics are attempting to flood specified areas?

Why do you think that Hillary & gang have been trying to get FELONS the VOTE?

Abolishing the Electoral College is insanity, folks.

We are a Republic..........."majority rules" = chaos.

The ELECTORAL COLLEGE is the only way for small states to have a stake in the county.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by goamerica

If you know so well the flaws attached to the electoral process, Could you come up with a suggestion that would answer KGFLYGIRL's concerns?
    The chance for electoral fraud is actually GREATER with a popular vote. For example, we know for a fact that millions of illegal aliens are currently voting. We have had cases of political parties arranging voting junkets of homeless people in which they are paid with cigarettes or beer for their votes. We had voting districts in Pennsylvania that had alleged 99.9% voter turnouts even though the volume at the polls was no heavier than usual. Add to all that the increasing potential for hacking or other manipulation of electronic voting machines (such as the notorious Diebold units) and it is plain that the system is already out of control. I have less than zero confidence in the outcomes of any of the national elections.

The best bet would be to return to state-appointed Senators, directly elected Representatives, and a President appointed by the EC. One of the greatest advantages of an EC-selected President is that the People will feel separation that they currently do not feel from that office. A majority-elected President at some point received the support of more than half the electorate (except for Clinton, who never managed a clear majority), and so benefits from the "our man" syndrome. America plays politics like a team sport, and that is a bad thing. Distancing the President and his appointment from the electorate, as was originally the case, opens the office to healthy suspicion and distrust.

Distancing the President and his appointment from the electorate, as was originally the case, opens the office to healthy suspicion and distrust.
    I do appreciate your patience explaining the process. But isn't what you're writing the same thing as what KGFLYGIRL is concerned about?

The chance for electoral fraud is actually GREATER with a popular vote. For example, we know for a fact that millions of illegal aliens are currently voting. We have had cases of political parties arranging voting junkets of homeless people in which they are paid with cigarettes or beer for their votes. We had voting districts in Pennsylvania that had alleged 99.9% voter turnouts even though the volume at the polls was no heavier than usual. Add to all that the increasing potential for hacking or other manipulation of electronic voting machines (such as the notorious Diebold units) and it is plain that the system is already out of control.
    Voting should take place the old fashion way, the manual vote. Electronic voting machines should be banned from that process. I fully agree on that!!

I don't think illegal aliens can vote in a national election!!! They can vote in local and state elections only. Correct me if I'm wrong!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by goamerica
    The chance for electoral fraud is actually GREATER with a popular vote. For example, we know for a fact that millions of illegal aliens are currently voting. We have had cases of political parties arranging voting junkets of homeless people in which they are paid with cigarettes or beer for their votes. We had voting districts in Pennsylvania that had alleged 99.9% voter turnouts even though the volume at the polls was no heavier than usual. Add to all that the increasing potential for hacking or other manipulation of electronic voting machines (such as the notorious Diebold units) and it is plain that the system is already out of control.
    Voting should take place the old fashion way, the manual vote. Electronic voting machines should be banned from that process. I fully agree on that!!

I don't think illegal aliens can vote in a national election!!! They can vote in local and state elections only. Correct me if I'm wrong!!
    You are wrong. There is no differentiation between national and local elections as far as voter registration is concerned. As a matter of fact, the two are combined when the federal elections take place.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast