Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Quote Originally Posted by CrocketsGhost
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxas
    Watch it there. I am Hispanic myself. And my parents encouraged me to learn English, French, and German. And they aren't that well educated either. Anyone knows that the more languages you know the better. Do you really think that most Hispanic parents discourage their children from learning both? Hehe.
    When Hispanic parents insist on bilingual education, that's exactly what they are doing. So yeah, the fact of the ongoing insistence on providing everything from school books to ballots in Spanish demonstrates that there are large numbers of Hispanics who are unwilling to do what the members of every other immigrant community have done, which is quickly learn English so as to join in the great melting pot.
    Study after study show that students placed in immersion classes (instruction taught in both native language and English) learn the English language much faster. Those parents are aware of this and that is why they insist. Unfortunately, immersion means immersion at home and in society, not just at school . That is what they don't get and without that aspect, much that is learned in the classroom is not reinforced.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxas
    Watch it there. I am Hispanic myself. And my parents encouraged me to learn English, French, and German. And they aren't that well educated either. Anyone knows that the more languages you know the better. Do you really think that most Hispanic parents discourage their children from learning both? Hehe.
    When Hispanic parents insist on bilingual education, that's exactly what they are doing. So yeah, the fact of the ongoing insistence on providing everything from school books to ballots in Spanish demonstrates that there are large numbers of Hispanics who are unwilling to do what the members of every other immigrant community have done, which is quickly learn English so as to join in the great melting pot.
    Study after study show that students placed in immersion classes (instruction taught in both native language and English) learn the English language much faster. Those parents are aware of this and that is why they insist. Unfortunately, immersion means immersion at home and in society, not just at school . That is what they don't get and without that aspect, much that is learned in the classroom is not reinforced.
    They don't want to learn the language because they don't really want to assimilate. If you don't believe that, go up to a group of them chattering in Spanish in public and say, "Speak English." What you'll usually get is a protracted string of expletives in Spanish and the couple of English words they know (which are of the four-letter variety). To them, this is not the United States, it is Mexico del Norte, and many of them sincerely plan for this to be at least the de facto case of not the legal and political case within the next decade or so.

The Mariposa Academy is attended by Hispanics who do not speak English. It is in a Spanish neighborhood and an Elementary school in 4 block away. It is mis-leading when it says "Spanish and English" is taught because there are no English speaking Americans there who wish to learn Spanish. It is attended by Hispanics who do not or speak very little English and could not function in a learning capacity in regular school.I believe when a child enters school here in America, they should be able to speak and understand English and the added responsible, to the taxpayer,of hiring Spanish speaking teachers and having classes taught in both languages is taking time away from the Americans students whose interest in the first years is learning. Learning other languages should come later and it should be a choice. It is difficult enough in early years to learn and adjust to school. I believe this is the sole reason our schools are failing. Much has been taken away from learning and placed on language. Most of us who enter school aready know English but if time is taken away from the student by the teacher to teach Spanish the student loses.

Quote Originally Posted by dyehard39
    The Mariposa Academy is attended by Hispanics who do not speak English. It is in a Spanish neighborhood and an Elementary school in 4 block away. It is mis-leading when it says "Spanish and English" is taught because there are no English speaking Americans there who wish to learn Spanish. It is attended by Hispanics who do not or speak very little English and could not function in a learning capacity in regular school.I believe when a child enters school here in America, they should be able to speak and understand English and the added responsible, to the taxpayer,of hiring Spanish speaking teachers and having classes taught in both languages is taking time away from the Americans students whose interest in the first years is learning. Learning other languages should come later and it should be a choice. It is difficult enough in early years to learn and adjust to school. I believe this is the sole reason our schools are failing. Much has been taken away from learning and placed on language. Most of us who enter school aready know English but if time is taken away from the student by the teacher to teach Spanish the student loses.
    This is not the sole reason schools are failing. There are too many schools that are underperforming where Spanish is NOT taught "side-byside" with English. Furthermore, look at math scores. They stink. In any language 5 + 5 equals 10. The number one factor influencing test scores and achievement is DEMOGRAPHICS, not language.

Banned
    This is not the sole reason schools are failing. There are too many schools that are underperforming where Spanish is NOT taught "side-byside" with English. Furthermore, look at math scores. They stink. In any language 5 + 5 equals 10. The number one factor influencing test scores and achievement is DEMOGRAPHICS, not language.
    I don't know that I agree. The fact of school districts having to double up resources for the schools in that district that are overloaded with non-English-speakers creates a resource drain on other schools within that district. We're seeing that all over Texas. What's more, we are seeing schools that were majority Caucasian just a few short years ago now over-run with Hispanics. As a matter of fact, the junior high in my own neighborhood has gone from less than 20% Hispanic to over 70% Hispanic, with so many of those Hispanic students not speaking English that the marquis sign in front of the school is now posted with messages ONLY in Spanish, in less than ten years.

I think that learning foreign languages in elementary school is helpful
    I don't think I know anybody who thinks learning a second, third or fourth language is a bad idea.

Learning two or more languages is imperative in certain careers and it also can be part of a well rounded education. However this situation has absolutely NOTHING to do with that. This is all directly the result of the invasion. This is being forced on American school systems as a direct result of the sheer numbers of invaders and also the unwillingness to assimilate. This needs to come to an immediate stop!
    [b]Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.
    - Arnold J. Toynbee

This is not the sole reason schools are failing.
    Code:
    There are too many schools that are underperforming where Spanish is NOT taught "side-byside" with English.
    Furthermore, look at math scores. They stink. In any language 5 + 5 equals 10. The number one factor influencing test scores and achievement is DEMOGRAPHICS, not language.

There are very few schools that do not have high enrollments of Hispanics even if the schools are not teaching Spanish along with English and they are failing. There is not a school here in Reno that is not failing and is not over crowded. For that reason alone student are falling behind.
    DEMOGRAPHICS? I don't think so. If a teacher has more students than they are not able to spend one on one time, students fail and the school pay for it as a failing school.

I don't know that I agree. The fact of school districts having to double up resources for the schools in that district that are overloaded with non-English-speakers creates a resource drain on other schools within that district. We're seeing that all over Texas. What's more, we are seeing schools that were majority Caucasian just a few short years ago now over-run with Hispanics. As a matter of fact, the junior high in my own neighborhood has gone from less than 20% Hispanic to over 70% Hispanic, with so many of those Hispanic students not speaking English that the marquis sign in front of the school is now posted with messages ONLY in Spanish, in less than ten years.
    You don't have to agree but talk to anyone in education and they can tell you the same. Certainly one who has studied the concept of learning English as a second language would know this.

I wouldn't mind Spanish as much if it didn't have to be screamed or yelled. From what I've seen in public appararently that's the case. Romance language my arse!!

Banned
    You don't have to agree but talk to anyone in education and they can tell you the same. Certainly one who has studied the concept of learning English as a second language would know this.
    Ah, I see... anyone in education.

Dude, those sort of cheap rhetorical copouts don't work here.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast