Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Spanish at school translates to suspension

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10372148/

Controversy caused by Kansas City incident reflects national debate

Updated: 6:36 a.m. ET Dec. 9, 2005
    KANSAS CITY, Kan. - Most of the time, 16-year-old Zach Rubio converses in clear, unaccented American teen-speak, a form of English in which the three most common words are "like," "whatever" and "totally." But Zach is also fluent in his dad's native language, Spanish -- and that's what got him suspended from school.

"It was, like, totally not in the classroom," the high school junior said, recalling the infraction. "We were in the, like, hall or whatever, on restroom break. This kid I know, he's like, 'Me prestas un dolar?' ['Will you lend me a dollar?'] Well, he asked in Spanish; it just seemed natural to answer that way. So I'm like, 'No problema.' "

But that conversation turned out to be a big problem for the staff at the Endeavor Alternative School, a small public high school in an ethnically mixed blue-collar neighborhood. A teacher who overheard the two boys sent Zach to the office, where Principal Jennifer Watts ordered him to call his father and leave the school.

Watts, whom students describe as a disciplinarian, said she can't discuss the case. But in a written "discipline referral" explaining her decision to suspend Zach for 1 1/2 days, she noted: "This is not the first time we have [asked] Zach and others to not speak Spanish at school."

Since then, the suspension of Zach Rubio has become the talk of the town in both English and Spanish newspapers and radio shows. The school district has officially rescinded his punishment and said that speaking a foreign language is not grounds for suspension. Meanwhile, the Rubio family has retained a lawyer, who says a civil rights lawsuit may be in the offing.

National debate
    The tension here surrounding that brief exchange in a high school hall reflects a broader national debate over the language Americans should speak amid a wave of Hispanic immigration.

The National Council of La Raza, a Hispanic advocacy group, says that 20 percent of the U.S. school-age population is Latino. For half of those Latino students, the native language is Spanish.

Conflicts are bursting out nationwide over bilingual education, "English-only" laws, Spanish-language publications and advertising, and other linguistic collisions. Language concerns have been a key aspect of the growing political movement to reduce immigration.

"There's a lot of backlash against the increasing Hispanic population," said D.C. school board member Victor A. Reinoso. "We've seen some of it in the D.C. schools. You see it in some cities, where people complain that their tax money shouldn't be used to print public notices in Spanish. And there have been cases where schools want to ban foreign languages."

Some advocates of an English-only policy in U.S. schools say that it is particularly important for students from immigrant families to use the nation's dominant language.

California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger (R) made that point this summer when he vetoed a bill authorizing various academic subjects to be tested in Spanish in the state's public schools. "As an immigrant," the Austrian-born governor said, "I know the importance of mastering English as quickly and as comprehensively as possible."

Hispanic groups generally agree with that, but they emphasize the value of a multilingual citizenry. "A fully bilingual young man like Zach Rubio should be considered an asset to the community," said Janet Murguia, national president of La Raza.

If we say that all the subject matter, all the teaching, and all school activities shall be conducted in English (except language courses, of course) that should get the message across that English is the language of this country. I don't believe that teachers should be allowed to speak Spanish to help certain students learn, either. (that is a common practice here)

At the same time, I think we have to draw the line somewhere. If we say that kids who CAN speak other languages shouldn't be allowed to speak it to other kids who can speak the same language that seems discriminatory to me.

Even when I was in school, those of us who took languages (I took Latin, French and Spanish) would try to converse with one another in that language to practice. Would telling kids they can't speak a foreign language in school prohibit the kids who are taking say, French, from speaking it?

See what I mean? While I believe that La Raza is a bag of hot air seeking preferential treatment for only Hispanic people and should sit down and shut up, I believe that to tell kids they CAN'T speak another language as it applies to things unrelated to the classroom is wrong.

This is my opinion and I know that many will disagree. And you have to excuse me becuse I live in a community where there is more Spanish spoken than English so I may be tainted. That being said, be gentle when you tell me why I'm wrong.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"Hispanic groups generally agree with that, but they emphasize the value of a multilingual citizenry. "A fully bilingual young man like Zach Rubio should be considered an asset to the community," said Janet Murguia, national president of La Raza.

Being multilingual does not necessarily make one an asset---speaking the language of the nation in which you reside and encouraging fellow foreign language speakers to do likewise DOES, however, qualify one as an asset!

That said, I am not sure that suspension was an appropriate action. Especially in a private conversation.

Welcome To America: Now, Speak English----And ONLY English!

I agree,(without knowing anymore details) I think the principal went too far on this one. I think she's a little dinky dao.

See what I mean? While I believe that La Raza is a bag of hot air seeking preferential treatment for only Hispanic people and should sit down and shut up, I believe that to tell kids they CAN'T speak another language as it applies to things unrelated to the classroom is wrong.
    I agree with you JJ. But I would throw in that students speaking in a foreign language should not be using profanity, threats or saying anything else that if said in English would cause a disruption.

I also think a suspension was too much but I get the feeling this kid has been in trouble before.

Hmmm, well I can tell you from first hand knowledge that the school kids here-- even the Hispanic majority-- swear in letter perfect English.

It is just that this particular action could open a whole can of worms that is senseless in that all the kid did in this case was ask to borrow a dollar. Now, if they have some reason to suspend him that is legitimate, then they should use that as the reason, and leave "speaking spanish" out of the suspension altogether.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I of course think the teacher went to far, most likely this kid was not trying to offend anyone. If he is fluent in spanish and someone ask him a questin in spanish, its only normal to answer back in spanish. I do it all the time, the thing is when you are that fluent in two languages it comes natural, you don't realize you are insulting anyone when you do it. This is the situation that many kids are faced with today. It is mandatory to take at least two foreign language classes in high school, and at the college level so forbiding practice shoudln't be done.

But I do not agree with bilingual education programs. ESL programs can be useful, but kids should be submerged in English only classes(except for foreign language classes) that is the only way to learn it. Keep in mind this kid, speaks spanish at home, so it does come natrual to answer back in spanish.

I do agree that when spanish is used to insult people and you do it in spanish on purpose than yeah it is wrong. I mean if you are gonna that much of a jerk then have the nerve to say in English.

Greeting's from Mexico's Finest City...

Here in San Diego, one of the County's Teachers of the Year winners actually teaches his classes in Spanish. That's right, not as part of a sanctioned bilingual program, but because he feels teachers are activists, and it is his duty to cater the needs of Hispanic children over the needs of the entire class.

CHULA VISTA – Guillermo Gómez is an immigrant, a war refugee who reached the local pinnacle of his profession Saturday when he was named one of four county teachers of the year.

He sees teaching as the job of a social activist, and Gómez is being recognized for what he does outside his classroom at Vista Square Elementary School in Chula Vista as well as for what he does inside it.

(snip)

"I am public education!" he wrote in a response to his nomination for county honors.

At 34, Gómez already has a track record as an unreconstructed activist.

He's active in a teachers union that's been labeled a special interest by the governor. He often teaches in Spanish though California voters have mostly prohibited the practice. He emphasizes experience and critical thinking in an era in which standardized test scores are paramount.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniont...2m12gomez.html

Can you believe this? How the hell can he get away with this, let alone get awarded as a Teacher of the Year? Not only does he disregard the publicly mandated ban on bilingual education in CA, he has been reported as saying that it is his duty to do as he pleases when it comes to activism in the classroom, teaching students Hispanic culture and history over American history. This guy can hardly even speak English properly, when he was interviewed on TV, his English was so bad, it is astounding that this guy is a teacher at all, let alone being a Teacher of the Year, what a friggin' joke. So now you know why they call San Diego Mexicos's Finest City.
    [b][i][size=117]"Leave like beaten rats. You old white people. It is your duty to die. Through love of having children, we are going to take over.â€

If it was investigated, I bet you the people behind the scenes pushing for him to recieve the award probably have spanish last names, some may not. The point is favoritism, or better put, biased, or racist, REGARDLESS OF THE LAW. What makes these people exempt from our laws? It's lack of enforcement of alot of our laws.

It all goes back to those who can be bought in Congress and the White House. As long as they are only enforcing which is in their intrest, things will never change. Especially if Congress is its own watchdog.

As for the suspension, it was a harsh punishment. Its totally natural if asked in spanish, answer in spanish. Spanish and any other language is abused only when it is used to deceive and lie about people who don't speak the language being used--talking behind their backs--something the teen wasn't doing.

But I respect the principal's order and rules. They should be followed. There would be alot less confusion if hispanics KNEW FOR SURE that english is the declared language of this country. Once that is done, alot less incidents involving language differences would occur.

Yeah, but declaring English as official language, is a long stretch. Not just becasue of the spanish, but because of the many languages spoken here. I am a part time sales associate at Payless, and I mean you hear every language there. And they are in private conversations of course, but people do it, and I mean it will always exist. We will always have legal immigrants so I find it difficult to make English an offical language.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast