Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Quote Originally Posted by jean
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009
    Chambers at odds over license bill
    Michael Drost
    UPDATED:

ANNAPOLIS

Differences between the House and Senate are jeopardizing an effort to end the state's status as one of only four that issue driver's licenses without proof of legal status - a fact critics say has made Maryland a magnet for illegal immigrants wishing to obtain a license.

The state Senate on Monday voted 36-11 in favor of a bill that will bar illegal immigrants from obtaining or renewing a driver's license. The House of Delegates voted 77-60 to pass an alternative bill that will allow those who already have a license but can't prove their legal status to continue to renew the license after the legislation is enforced June 1.

"This is coming right down to the wire, and if we can't settle on something soon it will jeopardize any bill from passing at all," said Sen. Alex X. Mooney, Frederick Republican.

If the two chambers cannot agree to a definitive version of the bill, they will be forced to reconcile their bills in a closed-door conference committee. But with the legislative session ending April 13, there is concern that time may run out before a finalized piece of legislation is agreed upon by both chambers.

Gov. Martin O'Malley and officials from the Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA) are pressed to ensure the state comes into compliance with the Federal REAL ID Act of 2005, which requires that each state adopt measures preventing illegal immigrants from obtaining driver's licenses and other legal forms of identification. Maryland has until Jan. 20 to comply with the act.

The House version originally had been drafted so a "two-tier" system would not be established. The bill was amended last week to allow those who cannot prove their legal status to keep their current licenses as of June 1.

Proponents of the House version say that it will help the state meet several benchmarks specified by the REAL ID statute, such as creating a statewide security plan, which their original bill did not.

"The amended bill puts us in compliance with federal regulations, the original bill did not do that," said Delegate Kathleen M. Dumais, Montgomery County Democrat.

Critics say the House version was patched together at the last minute without deliberation from opponents.

"This reflects the system here in Annapolis, its not how things should work. Its passing legislation through stealth," said Delegate Christopher B. Shank, Washington County Republican.

House Republicans failed to change their bill back to a one-tier system, and lawmakers say the Senate will be keen to adopt its one-tier bill.

"The Senate is definitely the more conservative body and they aren't likely to give up on a one-tier bill" said Sen. Richard S. Madaleno Jr., a Montgomery County Democrat who supports a two-tier system.

MVA officials testified against a two-tier system last month, citing a possible $30 million price tag for adopting it. Opponents say if the House versions becomes law, it will force taxpayers to subsidize those who in the country illegally.

"Marylanders are going to have to pay to make illegal immigrants a protected class, it's a horrible thing for the legislature to be doing," said Susan Payne, executive director of Maryland Citizens First.

Mr. Madaleno said refusing to let illegal immigrants obtain a driver's license will persuade many of them to simply drive without one.

"It's a public safety issue. When I'm driving on the Beltway, I want to know whether the driver in front of me knows what he's doing. I'm not concerned with anything else," he said.

Sen. David Harrington, Prince George Democrat, said that to expect illegal immigrants to simply give up driving to work or taking their children to school is impractical. "This bill does not make sense- do we actually believe people will stop driving. We need a two-tier system," he said.

Mr. O'Malley, a Democrat, said through a spokeswoman that he is aware of the division between the two chambers and is hoping that the two versions can achieve some common ground soon.

"The governor is working with both chambers to ensure that Maryland is not the only state on the East Coast that is not REAL ID compliant," O'Malley spokeswoman Christine Hansen said.

www.washingtontimes.com
    SO WE, THE LEGAL TAXPAYERS HAVE TO SPEND MORE AND MORE OF OUR TAXES TO FUND ILLEGALS,

AND SOME DEMOCRATS IN OUR STATE WANT TO ALLOW ILLEGALS TO KEEP THEIR LICENSES BECAUSE "EXPECTING ILLEGALS TO STOP DRIVING TO WORK IS IMPRACTICAL"??!!

HOW F-ING DARE THEY SAY THAT!

WHAT ABOUT THE FACT THAT IT IS "IMPRACTICAL" FOR ME TO AID & ABET ILLEGALS WITH MY TAX DOLLARS!!!!!
    Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented worker" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"........

Help Save Maryland Newsletter

Update on the Maryland House and Senate Drivers' License Issue:

The Maryland House passed the heavily amended version of HB 387: 77-60. It needed 71 to pass, so it was fairly close. This bill will provide Amnesty for illegal aliens that already have a drivers' license. Its a threat to the safety and well being of all Maryland citizens.

The Maryland Senate debated and voted...SB 369 PASSED 36-11. This bill will require proof of legal presence for all drivers licenses. No Amnesty for illegal alien drivers. This bill will remove illegal aliens from our roads and is similar to legislation passed in 47 other states.

A conference committee will be set up soon to resolve the differences in the two bills.

Lets keep the pressure on Governor O'Malley and the Democrats in Annapolis who insist on drivers licenses for illegal aliens against the will of Maryland citizens!

Go to our website www.HelpSaveMaryland.com and continue to push for a nation-wide boycott of Maryland.

Illegal aliens on our roads with Maryland drivers' licenses are a safety hazzard to all American citizens!

Help Save Maryland!
    Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented worker" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"........

HERE IS A LINK TO EMAIL GOVERNOR MARTIN O'MALLEY AND PLEAD TO HIM TO NOT ALLOW ILLEGAL ALIENS WHO CURRENTLY HAVE LICENSES TO RENEW THEM WITH NO QUESTIONS ASKED:

http://www.governor.maryland.gov/mail/

NO TWO-TIERED LICENSES!!!!

THANK YOU!!!!!!

April
    Way to hang in there Hippie Chick, the trick is to NEVER GIVE UP AND NEVER GIVE IN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by April
    Way to hang in there Hippie Chick, the trick is to NEVER GIVE UP AND NEVER GIVE IN!!!
    that's what i'm trying to do! just spent the morning emailing governor o'malley, my senators, and all the delegates.

THE DECISION IS BEING MADE BY APRIL 13TH!!!!

so i am going to email and fax every day until then. we may lose, but i have to give it a try!

THIS IS ONE OF OUR BIGGEST HOLDOUTS.

HE SUPPORTS THE TWO-TIERED SYSTEM.

PLEASE WRITE TO HIM AND TELL HIM NO AMNESTY FOR ILLEGAL ALIENS!
    NO TWO-TIERED LICENSES!

FLOOD HIS EMAIL! PLEASE HELP!!!

MICHAEL ERIN BUSCH, Speaker of MD House of Delegates - Democrat

(410) 841-3800, (301) 858-3800
    1-800-492-7122, ext. 3800 (toll free)
    e-mail: michael.busch@house.state.md.us

HERE ARE THE OTHER MAIN HOLDOUTS.

THESE PEOPLE WANT TO REWARD ILLEGALS WITH LICENSES. THEY DO NOT WANT TO MAKE THEM SHOW PROOF OF RESIDENCY WHEN THEY RENEW THEIR LICENSES!

PLEASE EMAIL THEM AND SAY NO TWO-TIERED LICENSES!
    IF WE CAN FLOOD THEIR EMAILS MAYBE THEY WILL GET THE POINT!

here's the bulk list so you can copy & paste into your "to" email.....

Ben.barnes@house.state.md.us, virginia.clagett@house.state.md.us, barbara.frush@house.state.md.us, maryann.love@house.state.md.us, joseline.pena.melnyk@house.state.md.us

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HippieChick
    i am in tears i am so upset. i CANNOT believe our state wants to reward illegal aliens with a "special license". it's almost as if they are rolling out the red carpet for them!

and to think they want to give amnesty to the illegals who already have licenses by telling them they may renew their current licenses with NO QUESTIONS ASKED!

9/11 terrorists had valid maryland driver's licenses even though they were illegal aliens. what are our elected officials thinking!!!!

i am so close to giving up hope.

Hippie Chick: I also posted this info on the activism thread. I was at 4 days of testimony and these Bastards from CASA- or Central American Solidarity Association with ties to Marxist Hugo Chavez absolutely run the MD General assembly. Once again they bused in about 150 illegal alien day laborers to testify for their "rights" with a spanish interpreter piped through their state of the art headphones. They also get taxpayer funding from the citizens of Maryland -only the citizens don't know this is happening! The rats in the GA don't care about the hard working taxpaying citizens because they are up casas butt!

I heard that Gustavo Torrez (head of CASA) showed up on the floor of the Senate with his CASA entourage and was hovering over the senators. Then when they voted for the 2 tiered bill (that not even that creepy Elliott Spenser got away with) the CASA lover suck ups were all hugging and kissing him and he was also shaking the Senators hands!!!!

I AM OUTRAGED!!!!!!!!!!! THERE HAS TO BE SOME SORT OF INVESTIGATION INTO THIS CRAP THAT IS HAPPENING IN MARYLAND!

I also have 4 different documented occurrences of CASA employees trying to intimidate the citizens of Maryland who were testifying against them!

Folks, we don't appear to be in the United States of America any longer- this is how 3rd world countries operate- by pressure, fear and intimidation. I am sick to my stomach over this!

Please help us people from around the nation. Maryland is dangerously close to Washington DC- and any terrorist could just set up house in Maryland and be treated in style to boot!

I am sure that as we speak there are many terrorist cells alive who are actively planning our destruction. I am so ashamed to be from Maryland right now- Maryland was once such a beautiful state until the NUTS from Prince Georges and Montgomery Country ruined it!

Why isn't there NATIONAL NEWS COVERAGE OF THIS MESS!

i am in tears i am so upset. i CANNOT believe our state wants to reward illegal aliens with a "special license". it's almost as if they are rolling out the red carpet for them!

and to think they want to give amnesty to the illegals who already have licenses by telling them they may renew their current licenses with NO QUESTIONS ASKED!

9/11 terrorists had valid maryland driver's licenses even though they were illegal aliens. what are our elected officials thinking!!!!

i am so close to giving up hope.

Hippie Chick: I also posted this info on the activism thread. I was at 4 days of testimony and these Bastards from CASA- or Central American Solidarity Association with ties to Marxist Hugo Chavez absolutely run the MD General assembly. Once again they bused in about 150 illegal alien day laborers to testify for their "rights" with a spanish interpreter piped through their state of the art headphones. They also get taxpayer funding from the citizens of Maryland -only the citizens don't know this is happening! The rats in the GA don't care about the hard working taxpaying citizens because they are up casas butt!

I heard that Gustavo Torrez (head of CASA) showed up on the floor of the Senate with his CASA entourage and was hovering over the senators. Then when they voted for the 2 tiered bill (that not even that creepy Elliott Spenser got away with) the CASA lover suck ups were all hugging and kissing him and he was also shaking the Senators hands!!!!

I AM OUTRAGED!!!!!!!!!!! THERE HAS TO BE SOME SORT OF INVESTIGATION INTO THIS CRAP THAT IS HAPPENING IN MARYLAND!

I also have 4 different documented occurrences of CASA employees trying to intimidate the citizens of Maryland who were testifying against them!

Folks, we don't appear to be in the United States of America any longer- this is how 3rd world countries operate- by pressure, fear and intimidation. I am sick to my stomach over this!

Please help us people from around the nation. Maryland is dangerously close to Washington DC- and any terrorist could just set up house in Maryland and be treated in style to boot!

I am sure that as we speak there are many terrorist cells alive who are actively planning our destruction. I am so ashamed to be from Maryland right now- Maryland was once such a beautiful state until the NUTS from Prince Georges and Montgomery Country ruined it!

Why isn't there NATIONAL NEWS COVERAGE OF THIS MESS!

April
    HERE ARE THE OTHER MAIN HOLDOUTS.

THESE PEOPLE WANT TO REWARD ILLEGALS WITH LICENSES. THEY DO NOT WANT TO MAKE THEM SHOW PROOF OF RESIDENCY WHEN THEY RENEW THEIR LICENSES!

PLEASE EMAIL THEM AND SAY NO TWO-TIERED LICENSES!
    IF WE CAN FLOOD THEIR EMAILS MAYBE THEY WILL GET THE POINT!

here's the bulk list so you can copy & paste into your "to" email.....

Ben.barnes@house.state.md.us, virginia.clagett@house.state.md.us, barbara.frush@house.state.md.us, maryann.love@house.state.md.us, joseline.pena.melnyk@house.state.md.us

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!!
    Will do!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast