Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Looks like the governor has not decided whether to support it or not. Call him!
    ------

Washington Times
    Sunday, March 29, 2009
    Md. driver's license bill riles foes
    Michael Drost (Contact)

The Maryland House of Delegates struck an uneasy compromise last week on a bill that would, in effect, allow thousands of illegal immigrants to renew their driver's licenses but require proof of legal status to obtain a new license beginning next month.

Opponents say the measure would create two classes of driver's licenses for those who can or cannot prove legal status - for example, with a Social Security number or a pay stub - and also provide a backdoor amnesty for those staying in the country illegally.

"It's a bait and switch - it's an amnesty bill under a different name," said House Minority Leader Anthony J. O'Donnell, Calvert Republican.

The amended bill, which is expected to pass the House this week, purports to bring Maryland into compliance with the federal Real ID Act of 2005, which requires states to set tighter standards for documenting residents.

Maryland is one of only four states - along with Hawaii, New Mexico and Washington state - that do not check the immigration status of persons trying to obtain a driver's license. Gov. Martin O'Malley, a Democrat, and Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA) officials came out against the current practice last month.

The situation has gotten so bad that businesses run classified ads in Spanish-language publications in the District, Virginia and Maryland urging "undocumented Hispanic friends" to take advantage of the opportunity to get a Maryland ID without having to prove they are in the country legally.

In one case, Maryland motor vehicle officials say, 68 people applying for licenses and identification cards gave the same address for an 800-square-foot home in Baltimore.

The House bill would require proof of legal status to obtain a driver's license after April 19, but as amended it would allow those without such proof to renew their licenses. The latter group would be given licenses deemed "federally noncompliant" and would not be permitted at airports and other federal buildings.

The bill was originally drafted so that no one without proof of legal status could obtain or renew a driver's license, but was amended late Thursday night during a House Judiciary Committee hearing.

Supporters said that trying to prevent an estimated 300,000 illegal immigrants in the state from being able to drive is not practical.

"They're here; they have jobs; they drive to work; they take their children to school. What do you suppose we do with all those who won't have licenses now?" said Delegate Curtis S. Anderson, Baltimore City Democrat.

Republicans on the committee said they had been duped into supporting the measure because they had not been given time to review the 24 pages of changes.

"It highlights the bad process that goes on down here [in Annapolis]. We simply didn't have time to digest it," said Delegate Susan K. McComas, Harford Republican.

Delegate Kathleen M. Dumais, Montgomery Democrat, said the amended bill allowed the state to meet 18 benchmarks set by the Real ID Act, such as ensuring applicants have some proof of lawful status. The original bill had required applicants to offer "proof of legal presence," which Miss Dumais said cannot be legally defined.

"I don't think anyone can tell me what lawful presence is, and neither can the MVA," she said.

During an extended floor debate Friday, dozens of sponsors of the bill, both Republican and Democrat, removed their names after efforts to change the bill to its original form had failed.

Delegate Ron George, Ann Arundel Republican and a key sponsor of the original bill, said the amendments had completely reversed the intentions of his bill.

"This amended bill creates a separate class, and it rewards those who are doing something unlawful. That's not what we intended, and that's not what the governor intended," Mr. George said.

Mr. O'Malley said through aides that he had not yet decided whether to support the new bill.

http://washingtontimes.com/news/2009/ma ... s-amnesty/
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Thank you all and please keep sending emails! Today may be the deciding day! I am back at it! We can do this!
    Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented worker" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"........

THIS IS SOMETHING I POSTED IN ANOTHER LINK, BUT WANTED TO POST IT HERE TOO TO SHOW YOU ALL HOW BAD IT HAS BEEN IN MARYLAND, AND WHY YOU NEED TO AVOID THIS STATE FOR THE SAFETY OF YOURSELF AND YOUR FAMILY & FRIENDS!

ok, and let me explain part of my fury over all this......

illegal alien crimes have risen dramatically,......here are some stories that have happened in the past several months in my state:

1.) Virginia & Michael Spevak, 67 & 68 years old, were tied up in their own home and BEATEN TO DEATH by illegal aliens this past November. both victims died from sharp blunt force trauma to the head and neck inflicted by a bladed weapon. KILLED BY ILLEGAL ALIENS!

2.) A 24-year old waiter was STABBED TO DEATH this past June by an illegal alien and MS-13 gang member. he was a popular waiter who was simply walking home from work when he was murdered. KILLED BY AN ILLEGAL ALIEN GANG MEMBER!

3.) Lila Meizell, 83-years old, was attacked in her own home this December by illegal aliens who did landscaping on her yard. they entered her house, slammed her head repeatedly into furniture in the living room before determining she was unconscious, poured gasoline over her body and the living room floor and lit a match, lighting the house and her body on fire, according to court documents. Investigators believe she was not dead when the fire started and was burned alive. KILLED BY ILLEGAL ALIENS!

4.) a 14-year old child, YES A 14-YEAR OLD CHILD, was shot to death on a bus by an illegal alien and MS-13 gang member this past November. 20-year-old Hector Mauricio Hernandez, an illegal immigrant, was charged with first-degree murder. and this wasn’t Hernandez’s first run-in with the law....Hernandez had been arrested Oct 3 for carrying a concealed weapon, but was released on his own recognizance when a witness refused to cooperate with police. so he was free to roam the streets and kill a 14-year old. KILLED BY ILLEGAL ALIENS!!!

5.) Mary Frances Havenstein, 63-years old, was hog-tied, gagged, suffered blows to the head, as well as a broken rib, bruised shoulders, and scrapes to her elbows and knees, by an illegal alien this past September. KILLED BY AN ILLEGAL ALIEN!!!

AND ALL OF THESE MURDERS HAPPENED IN THE PAST FEW MONTHS, AND OUR STATE STILL WANTS TO GIVE ILLEGAL ALIENS A "SPECIAL LICENSE" TO ALLOW THEM TO CONTINUE TO DRIVE, WORK, AND LIVE IN MY STATE!!!!?????

I AM FURIOUS!!!!!!
    Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented worker" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"........

HERE IS A LINK TO EMAIL GOVERNOR MARTIN O'MALLEY AND PLEAD TO HIM TO NOT ALLOW ILLEGAL ALIENS WHO CURRENTLY HAVE LICENSES TO RENEW THEM WITH NO QUESTIONS ASKED:

http://www.governor.maryland.gov/mail/

I have a question, If your not a constitute of that state, do they consider your call or fax. there has been times they ask for my address and if I don`t live there they don`t consider my position on a issue. How do you go about it when I don`t live there? Any advice would be appreciated
    No man is good enough to govern another man without that other’s consent.
    Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by pjwishes
    I have a question, If your not a constitute of that state, do they consider your call or fax. there has been times they ask for my address and if I don`t live there they don`t consider my position on a issue. How do you go about it when I don`t live there? Any advice would be appreciated
    some of them ask, some of them don't. i would appreciate the effort today, simply because they may be making the decision today. i think even if they just see their emails flooded with titles that say "No two-tiered Licenses for Illegals", that may help.

also, if you tell them you had planned on vacationing at our ocean or in baltimore, but now have changed your mind, they may realize our tourism industry will indeed suffer from this.....

thank you for ANYTHING any of you can do!

Just go to the white pages for the state your calling and find an address. I've had senators and representstives turn very rude once they find out I'm not from their state.

April
    ALERT FOR COLORADO SB170!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!

http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-151718.html

I've had senators and representstives turn very rude once they find out I'm not from their state.
    How odd. But they will go out of their way to speak for or represent or bow to a group of individuals that are not even from this country and are illegal
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

Tuesday, March 31, 2009
    Chambers at odds over license bill
    Michael Drost
    UPDATED:

ANNAPOLIS

Differences between the House and Senate are jeopardizing an effort to end the state's status as one of only four that issue driver's licenses without proof of legal status - a fact critics say has made Maryland a magnet for illegal immigrants wishing to obtain a license.

The state Senate on Monday voted 36-11 in favor of a bill that will bar illegal immigrants from obtaining or renewing a driver's license. The House of Delegates voted 77-60 to pass an alternative bill that will allow those who already have a license but can't prove their legal status to continue to renew the license after the legislation is enforced June 1.

"This is coming right down to the wire, and if we can't settle on something soon it will jeopardize any bill from passing at all," said Sen. Alex X. Mooney, Frederick Republican.

If the two chambers cannot agree to a definitive version of the bill, they will be forced to reconcile their bills in a closed-door conference committee. But with the legislative session ending April 13, there is concern that time may run out before a finalized piece of legislation is agreed upon by both chambers.

Gov. Martin O'Malley and officials from the Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA) are pressed to ensure the state comes into compliance with the Federal REAL ID Act of 2005, which requires that each state adopt measures preventing illegal immigrants from obtaining driver's licenses and other legal forms of identification. Maryland has until Jan. 20 to comply with the act.

The House version originally had been drafted so a "two-tier" system would not be established. The bill was amended last week to allow those who cannot prove their legal status to keep their current licenses as of June 1.

Proponents of the House version say that it will help the state meet several benchmarks specified by the REAL ID statute, such as creating a statewide security plan, which their original bill did not.

"The amended bill puts us in compliance with federal regulations, the original bill did not do that," said Delegate Kathleen M. Dumais, Montgomery County Democrat.

Critics say the House version was patched together at the last minute without deliberation from opponents.

"This reflects the system here in Annapolis, its not how things should work. Its passing legislation through stealth," said Delegate Christopher B. Shank, Washington County Republican.

House Republicans failed to change their bill back to a one-tier system, and lawmakers say the Senate will be keen to adopt its one-tier bill.

"The Senate is definitely the more conservative body and they aren't likely to give up on a one-tier bill" said Sen. Richard S. Madaleno Jr., a Montgomery County Democrat who supports a two-tier system.

MVA officials testified against a two-tier system last month, citing a possible $30 million price tag for adopting it. Opponents say if the House versions becomes law, it will force taxpayers to subsidize those who in the country illegally.

"Marylanders are going to have to pay to make illegal immigrants a protected class, it's a horrible thing for the legislature to be doing," said Susan Payne, executive director of Maryland Citizens First.

Mr. Madaleno said refusing to let illegal immigrants obtain a driver's license will persuade many of them to simply drive without one.

"It's a public safety issue. When I'm driving on the Beltway, I want to know whether the driver in front of me knows what he's doing. I'm not concerned with anything else," he said.

Sen. David Harrington, Prince George Democrat, said that to expect illegal immigrants to simply give up driving to work or taking their children to school is impractical. "This bill does not make sense- do we actually believe people will stop driving. We need a two-tier system," he said.

Mr. O'Malley, a Democrat, said through a spokeswoman that he is aware of the division between the two chambers and is hoping that the two versions can achieve some common ground soon.

"The governor is working with both chambers to ensure that Maryland is not the only state on the East Coast that is not REAL ID compliant," O'Malley spokeswoman Christine Hansen said.

www.washingtontimes.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast