Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

MW

First of all, I'd like to clarify a couple of things. Because I'm not 100 % behind the Save Act or the Real ID, you seem to think I don't have any concerns for the economy, illegal immigration or the American workers. I come from a working class family. And, even if I didn't, I'd still care about this country, and the American's who live in it. I get very angry when I hear people say we can't afford to deport all the illegal aliens. I say to them, we can't afford not to ! If I had my way, the buses would have already pulled out of the station. I'd personally be driving one of them. So, because I have problems with these bills, doesn't mean I don't care. I do, which is why I'm here. I have the greatest respect for Roy Beck, and if it makes you feel any better, I sent faxes etc through NumbersUSA to all my reps urging them to support the Save Act. That was before I read through the bills myself.
    Below is a compilation of facts to, perhaps, give you a better understanding of my position, and why I think the Save Act and the Real ID are tied in with the NAU. First Installment.

http://www.citizensforaconstitutionalre ... 19-07.html

Are You Ready for Your
    North American Union ID Card?

Monday, July 17, 2006

By James Plummer

Human Events Online has been leading the coverage of the so-called “Security and Prosperity Partnership,â€
    IT'S NOT HOW YOU GET IN, IT'S HOW YOU GET OUT

Second Installment

http://epic.org/privacy/surveillance/sp ... fault.html

Department of Homeland Security's Changes Exacerbate Current Problems in E-Verify Under the newly announced changes, the Department of Homeland Security will (1) greatly expand E-Verify, (2) raise fines against employers by 25 percent, (3) increasingly use criminal action against employers, as opposed to administrative action, (4) add to the number of databases E-Verify checks by including visa and passport databases, (5) ask states to "voluntarily" allow DHS access to their motor vehicle databases, and (6) use an "enhanced photograph capability" that will allow employers to check photographs in E-Verify databases.[38] These changes do not solve the many problems already in E-Verify; instead, the Department of Homeland Security has made the employment eligibility verification system worse.

A broad expansion of E-Verify has severe implications for national and individual security, civil liberties and privacy. At a Congressional hearing in June 2007, the Government Accountability Office detailed the many problems associated. The system is vulnerable to employer fraud or misuse. The databases used by E-Verify are error-filled. Expansion would create enormous backlogs. Also, the cost would be enormous.

By mandating that more than 200,000 federal contractors use E-Verify, DHS will increase the number of employers using the system by more than 1,076 percent. Such a massive expansion would likely overwhelm the system,

DHS estimated that nationwide mandatory use of E-Verify could cost Customs and Immigration Services "$70 million annually for program management and $300 million to $400 million annually for compliance activities and staff," and "costs associated with other programmatic and system enhancements are currently unknown."

Accuracy problems in databases of Citizenship and Immigration Services and Social Security Administration. [52] SSA's Numerical Identification File ("NUMIDENT") is used to check employment eligibility status, but the Inspector General estimated that about 17.8 million records in NUMIDENT have discrepancies with name, date of birth or death, or citizenship status.[53] About 13 million of these incorrect records belong to U.S. Citizens.[54] About 15.3 percent of the U.S. Workforce is foreign-born, according to the Bureau of Labor and Statistics.[55]

The analysis found that mistakes in the system led to "false negatives," where workers eligible for employment were deemed ineligible. For example, out of a sample of employees who received "final nonconfirmation" notices, 42 percent were "false negatives" and were eligible to work.[59] The report also found that "employers do not always follow Federally mandated safeguards for the . . . Program."[60] The researchers found that employers took adverse action against an employee because of a "tentative nonconfirmation," though it is illegal.[61]

"[a]mong a sample of individuals classified on the transaction database as unresolved tentative nonconfirmations, 28 percent said that they did not receive a job offer from the pilot employer."[64] Also, these job applicants were not informed they were being pre-screened through the employment eligibility verification system, and "[c]onsequently, they were denied not only jobs, but also the opportunity to resolve any inaccuracies in their Federal records."[65]

Currently, the Social Security Administration's Inspector General databases have an error rate of at least 4.1 percent.[68] If each of the 5.9 million employers nationwide used E-Verify for a different employee, then the error rate suggests more than 240,000 eligible workers would receive incorrect "no match" designations.[69] There are about 143.6 million authorized workers nationwide, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.[70] Even a one percent failure rate would affect millions of people.

Voluntariness" Of the System Is In Doubt

Though the Department of Homeland Security has yet to find solutions to problems in the current E-Verify system, it has chosen to expand data collection and data sharing, creating even more opportunities for errors. DHS announced it will add visa and passport databases to E-Verify, and ask states to "voluntarily"allow DHS access to their motor vehicle databases. This is certainly "mission creep," where DHS would be able to use for employment purposes the data collected for licensing drivers and issuing state identification cards.

It is unclear what "voluntary" means in this context. Questions arise because of the parallel REAL ID system currently under construction at the Department of Homeland Security. The REAL ID Act of 2005 is a law imposing federal technological standards and verification procedures on state driver's licenses and identification cards, many of which are beyond the current capacity of the federal government, and mandating state compliance by May 2008.[71] REAL ID includes the requirement that states allow the federal government to link together their databases.

Conclusion

Some states, including Arizona and Oklahoma, have passed legislation mandating the use of E-Verify by public contractors.[72] Just days after DHS announced the new regulations for E-Verify, however, the Illinois governor signed legislation specifically banning the use of the employment eligibility verification system.[73] Illinois legislators cited E-Verify's high error rate and the problems that incorrect "nonconfirmations" would cause for employers and employees.[74]

GAO found "a number of weaknesses in the pilot program's implementation, including its inability to detect identity fraud and DHS delays in entering data into its databases, could adversely affect increased use of the pilot program, if not addressed."[79] These weaknesses have not been addressed even though the employment eligibility verification system has been increased by more than 1,000 percent. Illinois and others are right to be wary of E-Verify, and other states should look closely at the shortcomings of the employment eligibility verification system.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/article/ ... L/11760649

The Baca Amendment would give illegal aliens who pass a background check a "five-year temporary worker permit" that expires on Dec. 31, 2012. It would also provide employers who hired illegal aliens "safe harbor" (apparently some measure of immunity from prosecution) for past hiring of illegal aliens. If Mr. Shuler gets enough signatures to force his bill to the floor to be debated, Democrats hope to neuter it by attaching the Baca Amendment. If Mr. Baca's proposal were to become law, open-borders advocates could come back later and pass legislation putting these illegals on a path to citizenship. While not endorsing the Baca Amendment, a senior official with the U.S. Chamber of Commerce told Congressional Quarterly that he believed there was "some kind of deal in the works."

http://www.proprietornation.blogspot.co ... sible.html

Currently, Shuler's own website has no information about this bill. That is problematic and besides Numbers USA there are very few resources touting this bill. That is also problematic. This bill has a lot of potential and I believe that with the proper debate it can be turned into one that deals with the problem of illegal immigration correctly without bloating government in an unnecessary way. Please contact your representative here and demand that the SAVE Act get a full and fair debate.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

That's the problem with these Bills. You don't know what their acually for until after they've been Initiated.
    Like I said "It's Not How You Get In, It's How You Get Out"

Quote: Tom DeWeese

"I believe Sections 201 and 203 of the SAVE Act are helping to create parts of a matrix that will lead to a National ID system which will destroy our liberty. Those are the very liberties you see as threatened by illegal immigration. Illegal immigration can be stopped - but if allowed to start, a National ID will be forever. In such a system today's predators will be tomorrow's prey."
    http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/F?c ... ByR:e64132:

SEC. 201. MANDATORY EMPLOYMENT AUTHORIZATION VERIFICATION.

(a) Making Basic Pilot Program Permanent- Section 401(b) of the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996 (8 U.S.C. 1324a note) is amended by adding before the period at the end of the last sentence the following `, except that the basic pilot program described in section 403(a) shall be a permanent program'.
    (b) Mandatory Use of E-Verify System-

Shttp://Thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/F? ... :e71388:EC. 203.
    ESTABLISHMENT OF ELECTRONIC BIRTH AND DEATH REGISTRATION SYSTEMS.

(a) In consultation with the Secretary of Health and Human Services and the Commissioner of Social Security, the Secretary shall take the following actions:
    (1) Work with the States to establish a common data set and common data exchange protocol for electronic birth registration systems and death registration systems.

.(a) In consultation with the Secretary of Health and Human Services and the Commissioner of Social Security, the Secretary shall take the following actions:
    (1) Work with the States to establish a common data set and common data exchange protocol for electronic birth registration systems and death registration systems.
    (2) Coordinate requirements for such systems to align with a national model.

(3) Ensure that fraud prevention is built into the design of electronic vital registration systems in the collection of vital event data, the issuance of birth certificates, and the exchange of data among government agencies.

(4) Ensure that electronic systems for issuing birth certificates, in the form of printed abstracts of birth records or digitized images, employ a common format of the certified copy, so that those requiring such documents can quickly confirm their validity.

(5) Establish uniform field requirements for State birth registries.

(6) Not later than 1 year after the date of the enactment of this Act, establish a process with the Department of Defense that will result in the sharing of data, with the States and the Social Security Administration, regarding deaths of United States military personnel and the birth and death of their dependents.

(7) Not later than 1 year after the date of the enactment of this Act, establish a process with the Department of State to improve registration, notification, and the sharing of data with the States and the Social Security Administration, regarding births and deaths of United States citizens abroad.

( Not later than 3 years after the date of establishment of databases provided for under this section, require States to record and retain electronic records of pertinent identification information collected from requestors who are not the registrants.

(9) Not later than 6 months after the date of the enactment of this Act, submit to Congress a report on whether there is a need for Federal laws to address penalties for fraud and misuse of vital records and whether violations are sufficiently enforced.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicie
    Currently, Shuler's own website has no information about this bill.
    http://shuler.house.gov/

Serving the 11th District of North Carolina
    This Web site has been set up to provide my constituents with an immediate Internet address for my newly elected office. Stay tuned for updates to my full featured Web site in the first session of the 110th Congress. In the meantime, I hope you will contact my office if you have any questions or would like assistance with a Federal Agency.

Rep. Shuler Introduces Bi-Partisan SAVE Act

SAVE Act of 2007 -Press Sheet
    Serve Bush with his letter of resignation.

See you at the signing!!

BearFlagRepublic

I would love to see a bill that will actually benefit Americans.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234