Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Temporary/guest worker program - pros and cons

OK....I don't want to come across as uneducated and I don't have a lot of time for research, so can anyone just list some pros and cons of a temporary/guest worker program?

There are stories everyday of Americans unemployed due to illegals taking the jobs for lower wages, so that con is obvious. I don't know if there are any real pros for it....although economists can probably come up with some.

How do we know what WOULD happen if all the illegals were deported....any other instances in history to compare this to? Ihear people predict what would happen, and many of the predictions conflict with each other.

Help please!
    "Remember the Alamo!"

krazynbama:

Here are facts I was able to summarize when I wrote to my politicians back in April.

This may give you a place to start. I know there are a lot more articles, facts and figures out there. I just grabbed the most recent ones I could find.

It's posted on here -- here's the link:

http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... ic&t=35184

It's the first one at the top.

In my own opinion.......if it was a guest worker program that was simple and direct I could see a value. I'll use agriculture as an example.

There may be a need for those to be here to harvest the crops or pick fruit in a timely manner. If the farmers didn't get enough American workers to do this, then they could request, and sponsor ,a foreign worker.

JUST the worker.....not the family.....and for a specific amount of time. Then the worker would have to go back. If the worker was fired..it would mean immediate deportation. Not for slave wages either. It would have to be more a risk to hire a foreigner than to find willing American citizens.

There would be no foot in the door for citizenship. It's just a temporary job.

But knowing the government.....it couldn't be that easy. That's the only way I could see it being worthwile.

It would have been nice if they can't find the people here....to get a group to get into the Katrina area and get it cleaned up. Just cleaned up.
    Or I had heard there were levy builders from Norway or someplace like that, that have alot of successful experience at building levys. It might be nice to have a few here, sponsored, that could work with our people for a bit, and then go back. No families, no path to citizenship, just a temporary job.

There's people here that go to places like Egypt for a specific job. They sign on for a year. No family allowed. I think at 6.mos. they get a short visit back home. They aren't free to roam and do what they want. They are monitored, they do their job and leave.

It may be necessary if we were to have some health epidemic to need temporary health care. Great....send just the Dr.s and Nurses etc. No family, do the job for a specific time and go home.

To me it's simple. Guess simple minds think simple thoughts.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Krazymbama wrote:

How do we know what WOULD happen if all the illegals were deported....any other instances in history to compare this to? Ihear people predict what would happen, and many of the predictions conflict with each other

Your concerns are very touchable but we have to face reality.
    Do you think this will be a guess worker program? Once they are here (maybe "married" to a citizen, who are going to expel them?
    The wages they say now are "low" with all their request are going to raise and of course their language is going to be predominant.
    In a few time they are going to find a path to legally vote and then they will be the majority (in some countries you have to vote otherwise you pay a fine)
    If Illegal here they act like they own this country imagine a lot of enemies living and carring les for this country legally here.
    Here some con (there are much more, it is enough to visit any of those countries to see their coulture),

Quote Originally Posted by minnie

Do you think this will be a guess worker program? Once they are here (maybe "married" to a citizen, who are going to expel them?
    The wages they say now are "low" with all their request are going to raise and of course their language is going to be predominant.
    In a few time they are going to find a path to legally vote and then they will be the majority (in some countries you have to vote otherwise you pay a fine)
    If Illegal here they act like they own this country imagine a lot of enemies living and carring les for this country legally here.
    Here some con (there are much more, it is enough to visit any of those countries to see their coulture),
    No, I don't think there can truly be a guest worker program, and your points are great....I'm making a brief sheet to post at work because fellow employees were discussing/debating/arguing but didn't have many points.

Thanks for the link Cheyenne!
    "Remember the Alamo!"

We already have a guest worker program from the 1986 amnesty act and look at the mess we are in.

Sure, it's a great idea to throw gunpower on the fire.

You know, one of them comes over as a guest worker, sneakes in wife, pop goes the anchor baby and they never leave! They also over stay their visas... I wish I knew how many people are here with expired visas.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I see no benefit of any type of guest worker.

My belief is there isn't a job that exist that a American wont do. The only reason business want a "guest worker program" is low wages. Why pay someone 10 when u get it for 5. So the government needs to go after "Big Business". Its destroying this land that we all love.

"Illegals" are not like us, at least the majority of them. They don't obey our laws, they don't care about our culture. English is not something they wish to learn. They are not here to become Americans. They are here to make a profit to send home. It's time we send them home.
    "We are not for any type or form of "AMNESTY"..We are a equal oppurtunity deporter. We will not discriminate against you due to your race/age/religion .. "

Our present guest worker plan is flawed if there's so many here illegally now due to expirations and no follow-up monitoring. That's why if they think covering up the issue of illegals by putting a band-aid on with guest-worker program.......there has to be a vamped and much stricter "guest-worker" program. To me guest-worker is just as much a seperate issue as controlling our borders. There should be no "path to citizenship" in the guest worker program. Anyone on a guest worker program must speak English. Can't get married. Can't buy a house. Can't use our welfare system, education system...etc...etc. They are simply a guest and a worker. I put it in the same context as someone I hire to do work on my home. They are here to do a job and basicly are a guest because I invited them in to do a job. They don't have free run of my home. They can't bring the wife and kids along for the day. Can't rifel through my drawers, can't raid the fridge, drive my car, take a nap in my bed...etc. I put the limits on. Once the job is done......they leave. They don't have RIGHTS to stay coz they like my house. They can't take my TV with them when they go just because they want it and don't have one. They aren't entitled to come back in anytime they feel like since they did a job before.

But nothing is going to work till they enforce the laws already on the books. And that is the thing that HAS to be done before they start re-writing anything. That seems to be where the failure of everything is.

There's obviously loop-holes that have been seriously studied and abused by business as well as others. Any re-write should be to close those avenues of abuse. With the HB1 visas or whatever they're called, to guest worker, on down the line. But it seems the failure is with the lack of people to do the job of processing those who have applied legally and the enforcement and follow up for those who have overstayed their visas.
    Lack of border enforcement and a huge amount loop-holes in the middle.

I would like someone to show me just one illegal that works for $5.00 0r $6.00 or even $8.00.
    I live in Miami , and i can assure you they will never work for this amount of money. This is another fairy tale from our goverment.
    The problem are the big corporations, they have the taxes over employers, the unions, some laws about security etc.. with these illegals, they don't have to spend money with all these surcharges, nobody will complain and if any fatality happens in a high rise construction with them ,nobody is going to sue them for the lack of security because they are illegals, but wait until they become legals...
    In brazil the taxes over emplyers are 100% plus 1 month vacation, plus the 13th salary (at the end of the year every employer has the right of 1 month extra ) If the FATHER , (not the mother) 'have a.baby" he is allowed to stay home, at the expenses of the boss , of course for 1 week, the mother 3 monthsLike in Europe you cannot fire an employer, you have a lot of fines to pay....and i can go on...., imagine all these people with these rights? and also marching on the streets for these rights...This is their culture.

Quote Originally Posted by minnie
    I would like someone to show me just one illegal that works for $5.00 0r $6.00 or even $8.00.
    I live in Miami , and i can assure you they will never work for this amount of money. This is another fairy tale from our goverment.
    The problem are the big corporations, they have the taxes over employers, the unions, some laws about security etc.. with these illegals, they don't have to spend money with all these surcharges, nobody will complain and if any fatality happens in a high rise construction with them ,nobody is going to sue them for the lack of security because they are illegals, but wait until they become legals...
    In brazil the taxes over emplyers are 100% plus 1 month vacation, plus the 13th salary (at the end of the year every employer has the right of 1 month extra ) If the FATHER , (not the mother) 'have a.baby" he is allowed to stay home, at the expenses of the boss , of course for 1 week, the mother 3 monthsLike in Europe you cannot fire an employer, you have a lot of fines to pay....and i can go on...., imagine all these people with these rights? and also marching on the streets for these rights...This is their culture.
    Around here its temp agencys. 5/6 even 8 is the norm for those type of jobs. They make it up by living 2 million to a one bedroom apartment
    "We are not for any type or form of "AMNESTY"..We are a equal oppurtunity deporter. We will not discriminate against you due to your race/age/religion .. "

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast