Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Quote Originally Posted by tinybobidaho
    Hey, SOSAD, glad you could join us. Another victory! Now if the bill passes we're all set. I think because of the amount of votes, this one may be veto proof. I wouldn't put it past this President to let the trucks keep rolling, anyway. He hasn't listened to Congress so far.
    Hi Tiny, thanks!! guess we will have to start watching for Mexican license plates, what I want to know is when does this take affect and when do these trucks already here get off of our highways!!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by SOSADFORUS
    Quote Originally Posted by sturmruger
    WELCOME TO ALIPAC "Sturmruger" and thanks for getting involved!!
    The one who surprises me is Burr...
    Burr voted yea to consider the amnesty bill then voted against it. I sent him an email.
    Thanks for the correction if you e-mailed him you must remember right and I must have his first vote for cloture mixed up in my mind. I know 18 people changed their vote, in the end.
    After looking through all the stuff the senate has voted on this year I'm not even sure if this is the correct cloture vote: http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LI...n=1&vote=00228
    However the names look familiar!
    "As has happened before in our history, if you have open borders poor country governments will pay people to move here, promising them a better life in the New World"*
    George Phillies (Libertarian)

Seething emails sent to both Cornyn and Hutchinson. I apologize for their behavior. Trust me, Texas is embarassed of the both of them.
    The John McCain Call Center
    [img]http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/815000/images/_818096_foxphone150.jpg[/]

WELCOME TO ALIPAC "Sturmruger" and thanks for getting involved!!
    The one who surprises me is Burr...
    Burr voted yea to consider the amnesty bill then voted against it. I sent him an email.
    Thanks for the correction if you e-mailed him you must remember right and I must have his first vote for cloture mixed up in my mind. I know 18 people changed their vote, in the end.
    After looking through all the stuff the senate has voted on this year I'm not even sure if this is the correct cloture vote: http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LI...n=1&vote=00228
    However the names look familiar!
    That was for 6/26 This one is for 6/28

ote Summary
    • Question: On the Cloture Motion (Motion to Invoke Cloture on S.1639)
    • Vote Number: 235
    • Vote Date: June 28, 2007, 11:04 AM
    • Required For Majority: 3/5
    • Vote Result: Cloture Motion Rejected
    • Amendment Number: S. 1639
    • Statement of Purpose: A bill to provide for comprehensive immigration reform and for other purposes.

Vote Counts
    YEAs: 46
    NAYs: 53
    Not Voting: 1

Alphabetical by Senator Name
    Akaka (D-HI), Yea
    Alexander (R-TN), Nay
    Allard (R-CO), Nay
    Barrasso (R-WY), Nay
    Baucus (D-MT), Nay
    Bayh (D-IN), Nay
    Bennett (R-UT), Yea
    Biden (D-DE), Yea
    Bingaman (D-NM), Nay
    Bond (R-MO), Nay
    Boxer (D-CA), Yea
    Brown (D-OH), Nay
    Brownback (R-KS), Nay
    Bunning (R-KY), Nay
    Burr (R-NC), Nay
    Byrd (D-WV), Nay
    Cantwell (D-WA), Yea
    Cardin (D-MD), Yea
    Carper (D-DE), Yea
    Casey (D-PA), Yea
    Chambliss (R-GA), Nay
    Clinton (D-NY), Yea
    Coburn (R-OK), Nay
    Cochran (R-MS), Nay
    Coleman (R-MN), Nay
    Collins (R-ME), Nay
    Conrad (D-ND), Yea
    Corker (R-TN), Nay
    Cornyn (R-TX), Nay
    Craig (R-ID), Yea
    Crapo (R-ID), Nay
    DeMint (R-SC), Nay
    Dodd (D-CT), Yea
    Dole (R-NC), Nay
    Domenici (R-NM), Nay
    Dorgan (D-ND), Nay
    Durbin (D-IL), Yea
    Ensign (R-NV), Nay
    Enzi (R-WY), Nay
    Feingold (D-WI), Yea
    Feinstein (D-CA), Yea
    Graham (R-SC), Yea
    Grassley (R-IA), Nay
    Gregg (R-NH), Yea
    Hagel (R-NE), Yea
    Harkin (D-IA), Nay
    Hatch (R-UT), Nay
    Hutchison (R-TX), Nay
    Inhofe (R-OK), Nay
    Inouye (D-HI), Yea
    Isakson (R-GA), Nay
    Johnson (D-SD), Not Voting
    Kennedy (D-MA), Yea
    Kerry (D-MA), Yea
    Klobuchar (D-MN), Yea
    Kohl (D-WI), Yea
    Kyl (R-AZ), Yea
    Landrieu (D-LA), Nay
    Lautenberg (D-NJ), Yea
    Leahy (D-VT), Yea
    Levin (D-MI), Yea
    Lieberman (ID-CT), Yea
    Lincoln (D-AR), Yea
    Lott (R-MS), Yea
    Lugar (R-IN), Yea
    Martinez (R-FL), Yea
    McCain (R-AZ), Yea
    McCaskill (D-MO), Nay
    McConnell (R-KY), Nay
    Menendez (D-NJ), Yea
    Mikulski (D-MD), Yea
    Murkowski (R-AK), Nay
    Murray (D-WA), Yea
    Nelson (D-FL), Yea
    Nelson (D-NE), Nay
    Obama (D-IL), Yea
    Pryor (D-AR), Nay
    Reed (D-RI), Yea
    Reid (D-NV), Yea
    Roberts (R-KS), Nay
    Rockefeller (D-WV), Nay
    Salazar (D-CO), Yea
    Sanders (I-VT), Nay
    Schumer (D-NY), Yea
    Sessions (R-AL), Nay
    Shelby (R-AL), Nay
    Smith (R-OR), Nay
    Snowe (R-ME), Yea
    Specter (R-PA), Yea
    Stabenow (D-MI), Nay
    Stevens (R-AK), Nay
    Sununu (R-NH), Nay
    Tester (D-MT), Nay
    Thune (R-SD), Nay
    Vitter (R-LA), Nay
    Voinovich (R-OH), Nay
    Warner (R-VA), Nay
    Webb (D-VA), Nay
    Whitehouse (D-RI), Yea
    Wyden (D-OR), Yea

From 'Yes' to 'No'
    Cloture on the immigration bill failed 46-53.

Notably 16 Democrats voted against it and 18 Senators switched their votes from Tuesday's approved cloture.

SENATORS SWITCHING (12 Republicans, 6 Democrats)

• Sen. Jeff Bingaman, D-New Mexico
    • Sen. Christopher Bond, R-Misouri
    • Sen. Sherrod Brown, D-Ohio
    • Sen. Sam Brownback, R-Kansas
    • Sen. Richard Burr, R-North Carolina
    • Sen. Norm Coleman, R-Minnesota
    • Sen. Susan Collins, R-Maine
    • Sen. Pete Domenici, R-New Mexico
    • Sen. John Ensign, R-Nevada
    • Sen. Tom Harkin, D-Iowa
    • Sen. Mitch McConnell, R-Kentucky
    • Sen. Ben Nelson, D-Nebraska
    • Sen. Lisa Murkowski, R-Alaska
    • Sen. Mark Pryor, D-Arkansas
    • Sen. Ted Stevens, R-Alaska
    • Sen. George Voinovich, R-Ohio
    • Sen. John Warner, R-Virginia
    • Sen. James Webb, D-Virginia

I'm just thankful the bill failed
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

PhredE,

It is interesting that the Dems are against this. Maybe that because some Republicas are for it.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Hey Dix,

Yeah, it's a kind of unexpected twist to be sure.
    I was thinking about this, and could come up with a couple of reasons for the vote breakdown (all is IMHO of course, take it for what it's worth [not much probably.]).

1. The Dems voted totally as a block. - it could be a 'ribbing' to the Repubs - especially Boosh. I don't know if they had time to discuss this at great length, but I wonder if they had voted this way in a planned manner.
    I think also some of the Dems have taken a lot of heat over not being strongly against things like Free Trade Agreements and protecting American jobs. I think this is the argument that most of them felt they could get behind and support.

2. It could also be that they were more sympathetic to the groups lobbying against the Demo program. We know that the Teamsters, Sierra Club, and people in our types of groups (ALIPAC, NumbersUSA, etc) also provided a lot of feedback in recent months on it. I'd like to believe that our groups were the deciding factor, but that is really unknown at this point.

3. It might be an over estimation of the impact, but I think the timing of the big truck accident/explosion in Mexico also proved to be a factor. The relationship between potential danger-actual problems was sort of 'in your face' to see.

4. (Other - unknown or unknow-able factors as well... - alignment of the planets perhaps?)
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Evidently the trucks can keep moving for now as the teamsters still has to go to court and fight the law suit. Since this bill is funding bill for 2008 I guess they are aloud to stay on the road until the law suit is over or 2008, ehh!

Just read that on teamsters web site, and they praised congress doing this for Americans!

Hi SOSAD. Thanks for the info.

Re:
    Since this bill is funding bill for 2008 I guess they are aloud to stay on the road until the law suit is over or 2008, ehh!
    Just a reminder, that for the Feds everything runs on the FY (Fiscal Year) - and all the current Fed employees are invited to give me a reality check here if necessary - that FY2008 would begin Oct 1 (?) of this year, yes?

The sooner they get these trucks off the roads, the better. Let's hope it starts in October.
    RIP TinybobIdaho -- May God smile upon you in his domain forevermore.

Quote Originally Posted by PhredE
    Hi SOSAD. Thanks for the info.

Re:
    Since this bill is funding bill for 2008 I guess they are aloud to stay on the road until the law suit is over or 2008, ehh!
    Just a reminder, that for the Feds everything runs on the FY (Fiscal Year) - and all the current Fed employees are invited to give me a reality check here if necessary - that FY2008 would begin Oct 1 (?) of this year, yes?
    Hi there Phred, AH good point, I'm not postitive but I think you are right. AH, here we go!! from teamsters article.
    The amendment passed by the Senate Tuesday night is contained in a funding bill for transportation projects in fiscal year 2008, which begins in October.
    The Teamsters have long fought against the cross-border trucking program. On August 30, a federal judge denied the Teamsters' motion for an emergency injunction to halt the program while its lawsuit is being argued.

The Teamsters' brief in the case is due on Nov. 19 before the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco. The government's brief is due Dec. 17.

"Since Congress has only blocked funding for a year, the Teamsters will continue the fight against this unwise, unsafe program," Hoffa said.
    So it would be smart to keep tracking this!!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567