Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Trump Endorses John McCain at Wisconsin Rally

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Trump Endorses John McCain at Wisconsin Rally

AUG 5 2016, 8:51 PM ET

Trump Endorses Paul Ryan, John McCain at Wisconsin Rally

by ALEXANDRA JAFFE

Trump Endorses Speaker Ryan, Sen. John McCain at Wisconsin Rally 2:05

GREEN BAY, Wisc. — Donald Trump on Friday offered an olive branch to the Republican Party, endorsing the three Republican lawmakers — House Speaker Paul Ryan, Arizona Sen. John McCain and New Hampshire Sen. Kelly Ayotte — that he had snubbed earlier in the week.

"We will have disagreements, but we will disagree as friends and never stop working together toward victory, and very importantly toward real change," Trump said. "So, in our shared mission to make America great again, I support and endorse our speaker of the House Paul Ryan.

"He's a good man, and a good guy," Trump said.

Trump also said he holds "in the highest esteem" McCain for his "service to our country in uniform and in public office," and offered his full support for the candidate, who's facing a primary challenge from the right and a competitive general election fight. Trump had previously dismissed McCain as a "loser" because he was captured and held in a Vietnam prison during the war, and this week refused to endorse him because he said McCain didn't treat veterans well.

And he offered support for Ayotte, one of the GOP's most vulnerable senators, who Trump earlier suggested to the Washington Post had shown weakness and a lack of leadership in New Hampshire.

"She's a rising star and will continue to represent the great people of New Hampshire so very well for a long long time," Trump said Friday.

Related: Ryan, Trump Feud Cools But Frustration Lingers

Play

Trump Appears to Admit Being Wrong About Iran Payment Video 1:38

But the endorsements are likely to be more of a boon for Trump than the three Republicans, as Trump's decision to snub them hurt him with the party nationwide.

Trump's his initial refusal to back the three — and particularly his reluctance to endorse Ryan, an unprecedented move from a major party nominee — sparked fresh questions over Trump's viability in the race.

Some critics and political pundits wondered this week whether Trump might end up dropping out of the race, as his poll numbers plummeted in key states. Vulnerable Senate Republicans were forced to scramble to answer for his critiques and controversies as he faced heavy blowback for his criticism of the family of a Muslim U.S. Soldier who died a war hero, and many Republicans openly wondered whether Trump wanted to torpedo his own party.

Earlier Friday Ryan brushed off speculation Trump would need to be replaced on the ballot and said it was his "duty" to uphold the results of the GOP primary. But Republicans warned that, in particular, Trump's refusal to endorse Ryan could hurt him in a state that once seemed winnable for Republicans.

Wisconsin House Speaker Robin Vos wrote an op-ed on Friday saying he was "embarrassed" to have Trump as the nominee and warning that," If Donald Trump wants to have a chance to win in November, he should start following Paul Ryan's lead, not criticizing him." He suggested that Wisconsin's activists and operatives would be reluctant to work or vote for Trump if he kept up the feud with Ryan.

In an interview, Vos said he had no indication whether Trump had read his op-ed, but said it was "definitely possible" that Trump's opposition to Ryan could hurt him in the state in November.

"Paul Ryan's support is so wide and so deep that Donald Trump wading in on the other side made no political sense," he said.

While Republicans hold a majority in both chambers of the state legislature, and most of the state's statewide elected officeholders are Republican, the GOP hasn't won the state in a presidential year in more than 30 years, and this year initially looked like their best shot at turning the tide. To win, however, Trump will need to play in Ryan's district, which encompasses all or parts of five of the state's top 10 most populous counties. Three of those five went for Romney last cycle, when he lost the vote by 7 points.

Republicans in the state say Trump will have to boost turnout beyond what Romney achieved in those populous, deep-red counties in the Milwaukee suburbs, and those are populated with Republicans that traditionally pose a challenge for Trump: Upper-middle-class, college-educated white voters. Indeed, Trump lost the district during the primary to Ted Cruz by 19 points.

And dismissing the area's congressman — who's viewed favorably by 84 percent of the district's Republicans and independent-leaning voters, according to a recent Marquette Law U poll — was unlikely to win him many fans in the district.

As Brendan Scholz, a GOP lobbyist and former state party executive director put it, the state's voters don't like being treated "like we're second-rate."

"It's like we're second rate. He smacks us and then he wants our help — seriously? If you beat me up, you punch me in the face, I'm not just going to take it," he said.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016...-rally-n624076
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    Wow, the hits just keep rolling in. First it was Rubio, now it's McCain and Ryan. I'm beyond disgusted!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by MW View Post
    Wow, the hits just keep rolling in. First it was Rubio, now it's McCain and Ryan. I'm beyond disgusted!
    I'm not sure what going to happen next,

but I am concerned about it.
    NO AMNESTY

I despise McCain, but I think Trump is calling the shots here.

With Ryan, McCain and Rubio, are they running for nomination or for the seat? It is easy to forget where we are at here.

I think we are looking at a little ​noblesse oblige.
    Support ALIPAC'sFIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Sen. John McCain Leading in Arizona Primary

Newsmax-4 hours ago
    Mike Pence made it clear he supported the Arizona lawmaker. ... ... After four years in the House and thirty in the Senate, McCain is certainly a ...
    ------------------------------

Poll: Rubio holds 33-point lead over GOP primary challenger

The Hill (blog)-Aug 3, 2016
    A new St. Pete Polls survey found that Rubio leads wealthy businessman Carlos Beruff by 33 points, 55 to 22 percent. About 5 percent are ...
    -----------------------------------------

Poll: Ryan leads primary challenger by 66 points

The Hill‎ - 14 hours ago

A Remington Research Group poll released Friday shows 80 percent of voters support Ryan ...
    NO AMNESTY

I hope some of the polling is erroneous and will end in results that got rid of Eric Cantor here and Brexit over there. How much those behind the polls may be crafting the polls to get a desired outcome to tamp down voter enthusiasm and turnout we may not find out but we know it is possible.
    Matthew 19:26
    But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I'm disgusted with a political party that would in essence require this for "unity". Candidates for these offices work hard, take lots of chances and spend lots of money, it's very hard to run against incumbents which is why it's so hard to throw the bums out. When the party threatens not unifying behind a Presidential candidate because he didn't endorse incumbents in Senate and Congressional races, that's a big sick stick stabbing the Presidential candidate and all his Supporters in the back.

RYAN'S GOTTA GO!!

SUPPORT PAUL NEHLEN!!
    Last edited by Judy; 08-06-2016 at 06:57 AM.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Unfortunately, it was necessary. IMO

Yes, I have to agree with you Nexmexican, and that picture, that photo of Trump pursing his lips in the thread article, says it all. Like I've said, this is political war, our only hope is Trump winning this election. There is no other hope for our causes or our country. Therefore, as disappointed as so many of us are that this was necessary, we must support him wholeheartedly and have his back at all times. Trump is it, if Trump doesn't win this election by doing everything necessary to do so, our gooses and causes are cooked and our country is lost.

I was reading some of the Facebook comments, and Trump Supporters all support his decision, expressing their disappointment that to have party "unity" it was necessary, blaming the party establishment, not Trump.

Despite the endorsements, I hope Kelli Ward and Paul Nehlen beat McCain and Ryan.

RYAN'S GOTTA GO!!

SUPPORT PAUL NEHLEN!!
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast