Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Trump: I’m ‘very, very troubled’ by Tulsa shooting

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Trump: I’m ‘very, very troubled’ by Tulsa shooting

Trump: I’m ‘very, very troubled’ by Tulsa shooting

Holly Bailey National Correspondent
    September 21, 2016

Donald Trump reacts to Tulsa police shooting, says "people who choke" shouldn't be cops

CLEVELAND — Donald Trump on Wednesday said he was “very, very troubled” by last week’s fatal shooting of an unarmed black man by a police officer in Tulsa, Okla., calling it a “terrible” situation and suggesting cops should be “more careful” or not be on the force.

Speaking to several dozen pastors at an African-American church here, the Republican presidential nominee said he was bothered by the latest round of officer-involved shootings in both Tulsa and Charlotte, N.C., where violent protests erupted in the aftermath of a police shooting late Tuesday.

But during a question-and-answer session, Trump said he was troubled “in particular” by the Tulsa shooting, in which Terence Crutcher was shot dead by a police officer on the side of the highway. The officer who fired the fatal shots said she believed Crutcher, who was unarmed, was behaving strangely and reaching for a gun, the officer’s attorney said.

Trump said he had watched the video of the Tulsa shooting, which was released by authorities Monday.

Describing himself as a “tremendous believer” in law enforcement, the celebrity businessman said he still couldn’t make sense of what had happened.

Donald Trump speaks to the Pastors Leadership Conference in Cleveland. (Photo: Evan Vucci/AP)
    More

“That man was hands up. That man went to the car, hands up. To me, it looked like he did everything you’re supposed to do,” Trump said. “He looked like a really good man.”

“This young officer, I don’t know what she was thinking,” he continued. “I am very, very troubled by that. And we have to be very careful. … Did she get scared? Was she choking? People that do that can’t be doing what they are doing.”

Trump’s comments came against the backdrop of another outreach event aimed at African-American voters but also designed to soften his image among swing voters, including white women.

Speaking after a series of surrogates, including boxing promoter Don King, Trump took the pulpit and made a direct appeal to black voters, presenting himself as the candidate who can restore and rebuild inner cities.

And though he has been criticized for divisive remarks against minorities and immigrants, Trump cast himself as a transformative figure, suggesting he wants to remake the Republican Party to be more inclusive to minority voters. Echoing remarks he made at a black church in Detroit earlier this month, Trump said he wants to pursue a “civil rights agenda” that would make America better for everybody, including black Americans skeptical of his candidacy.

“I fully understand that the African-American community has suffered from discrimination, and many wrongs must be made right,” Trump said.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-im-...162626082.html
    ______

Related slideshows:
    Slideshow: Terence Crutcher fatally shot by Tulsa, Okla., police officer >>>
    Slideshow: Protests erupt after deadly police shooting in Charlotte, N.C. >>>

NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Breaking News:
    Tulsa officer who shot unarmed Terence Crutcher to be charged with manslaughter

Tulsa police officer charged in man's death
    Last edited by JohnDoe2; 09-22-2016 at 05:03 PM.
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn