Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

We all know the polls by wording differ majorly. The 70-80% we here about is 70-80% of Americans don't support a mass amnesty (meaning all).

Then the vast majority again puts securing the border and stopping more illegal immigration before looking at a path to legalization.

But 3rd when it comes to a path to citizenship for those already here for a longtime the numbers are fairly evenly divided after the border is secured and NO mass amnesty.

I'm an avid poll reader generally with Rasmussen Reports as most of the others have a heavy bias in their pollings but do look at others at times. The facts are there. While WE may be against any at all Amnesty a divided American people half support some minor form of very limited amnesty especially when it comes to those damned kids who were brought into the US as children illegally.

Now I don't like it but if one wants to win the independents one can't be seen as taking a very hard verbal stance. This leaves the proper way to gain and keep their support is saying after the border is secured and we enforce the laws, cut the benefits... we are willing to look at maybe a case by case basis. Then hope w/o benefits and through deportations that they all leave w/o getting the limited amnesty to ever pass.

Make no mistake, NO candidate has a chance w/o catering least in words to the independents.

ReformUSA wrote:

Make no mistake, NO candidate has a chance w/o catering least in words to the independents.
    Are you an Independent? Do you support some form of amnesty?

I'm an Independent and I do not support any form of amnesty; however, I think there is a valid point being made with Trump's "case-by-case" idea. He can not possibly take the hard line with "all illegals will be deported" - it's just not good politics. This is a smart guy (and I'm not speaking of the education he's so fond of bragging about), he's a "player", he knows the score and therefore, he'll be smart and choose his words carefully.

I think this forum tends to think that most Independents are liberals - not the case. Most of my family & friends and even many colleagues are Independents - the reason? we don't believe in voting for a "party" - we vote on the ISSUES.

I can not say if Trump is serious or just attempting to garner publicity, but I sure hope he's serious b/c this country is in serious financial trouble and who better to solve that than a financial genius??

Quote Originally Posted by Dee0302
    I'm an Independent and I do not support any form of amnesty; however, I think there is a valid point being made with Trump's "case-by-case" idea. He can not possibly take the hard line with "all illegals will be deported"
    There it is again, another suggestion that dealing with illegals is an either or proposition. Well, it's not and we don't have to physically deport all illegals. No one has suggested that Trump should take that stand. However, he also doesn't need to state that some illegals will get amnesty, which is basically what he did. As I've said before, effectively dealing with the illegal alien problem will take a combination of things, but an amnesty for 'some' illegals is not one of them.

IMHO, proposing any sort of amnesty will turn off more voters, including independents, than it will draw in. Sorry, I'm automatically turned off when I hear the word amnesty or any phrase that would suggest amnesty. Maybe I'm the one being naive, however, that doesn't change my position that most Americans do not support an amnesty. My point is, Trump, or any candidate, does not have to suggest any form of amnesty to be successful. Do you agree?

Please people, before you start believing what Trump tells you look at the facts. Trump is a big business man who is all about money. ANY big business man who loves money is also gonna love an endless flow of illegals.
    "Mother Sick of Sending Her Child to A School Overflowing With Anchors and Illegals!"
    http://the-drama-of-my-life.blogspot.com

Mickey states - "IMHO, proposing any sort of amnesty will turn off more voters, including independents, than it will draw in."

(sorry - I don't know how to isolate a quote)

I'd like to see him win over the "thinking" liberals. Illegal Immigration is NOT GOOD for any American.....it's draining us dry. And liberals have been affected by the economy just like the rest of us. If he uses the case-by-case platform, it may soften the reaction of the liberals. (Again, I am not in favor of any type of amnesty, but I'd like to get someone in the White House who will take a hard line and I think that person is Trump)

Mickey states - "IMHO, proposing any sort of amnesty will turn off more voters, including independents, than it will draw in."

(sorry - I don't know how to isolate a quote)

I'd like to see him win over the "thinking" liberals. Illegal Immigration is NOT GOOD for any American.....it's draining us dry. And liberals have been affected by the economy just like the rest of us. If he uses the case-by-case platform, it may soften the reaction of the liberals. (Again, I am not in favor of any type of amnesty, but I'd like to get someone in the White House who will take a hard line and I think that person is Trump)
    Anyone the liberals would find appealing probably wouldn't be a good choice for our cause.

I'm new to ALIPAC; however, I've been against illegal immigration for a very long time. After watching what has happened in Tunisia, Egypt, Libya, etc., it has caused me to ponder why we Americans don't follow a similar path - I AM *NOT* TALKING INSURRECTION.

These people are risking their lives to change their countries. I read all that William has done to combat this issue (and I applaud him), but are we not gathering en mass and taking it directly to the White House? Our Constitution grants us the RIGHT to question our government - no one is going to cut off our heads or send snipers to roof tops.

I believe that we NEED to ACT...peacefully. If all the members of ALIPAC and the members of the various other anti-illegal immigration groups banned together and marched on the White House, it has to make a difference. They need to be held accountable to US - the citizens who pay their salaries - who the hell is Congress to allow OUR tax dollars to be spent on entitlements for illegals. We're in an economic crisis and getting rid of those who are receiving hand-outs would go a long way towards alleviating our budget woes.

Think about it - If a family of four is struggling to make ends meet, would they adopt another mouth to feed and take from their own children? Same thing!![/b]

I'm an Independent and I do not support any form of amnesty; however, I think there is a valid point being made with Trump's "case-by-case" idea. He can not possibly take the hard line with "all illegals will be deported" - it's just not good politics. This is a smart guy (and I'm not speaking of the education he's so fond of bragging about), he's a "player", he knows the score and therefore, he'll be smart and choose his words carefully.

I think this forum tends to think that most Independents are liberals - not the case. Most of my family & friends and even many colleagues are Independents - the reason? we don't believe in voting for a "party" - we vote on the ISSUES.

I can not say if Trump is serious or just attempting to garner publicity, but I sure hope he's serious b/c this country is in serious financial trouble and who better to solve that than a financial genius??
    Very well said.

I'm an independent as well as I don't believe in voting because of party but because of issues. Most would consider me fairly conservative except on a couple of issues such as I'm pro-choice (don't like abortions but not my place to tell someone what to do with their body), pro gay rights (but against marriage, adoption, or any sort of benefit from a civil union), and pro free choice for religion.

But Yes, Trump is smart just like many of the others. He knows he has to speak from a middle ground even if he ends up going to the far right after elected in what he does. He just like Obama did has to avoid looking like he's taking a hardline no option approach. This means he has to choose his words wisely which he's doing.

Now I don't want ANY Amnesty... ever. I also don't want him to openly support Amnesty. But I can see the use of his words because their are many Americans in the middle who are buying into the whole "poor innocent child brought against their will" routine and like the idea of giving the "good" a chance. Now we know the "good" of the bunch is extremely small... and I mean extremely small..... but when people are being fed the lies we can't make the lies stop and we can't force people to see past the lies and the truth. So we gotta be willing to play the game by the same lies to take control of the situation.

But yah, we alone are NOT enough to win in 2012. If whatever candidate doesn't at least speak from a middle ground we will lose.

Just look at Obama in 2008.... he spoke from a middle ground approach on many subjects and won support same with most other Presidents in the past who end up often being far from middle ground. Obama never said in 2008 he wanted Amnesty but to fix a broken immigration system, secure the border from threats, and push immigration reform which many groups at that time were showing a type of immigration reform I for one bought into which was the full opposite of what Obama and the liberal nuts are pushing. Same for healthcare though, Obama spoke from a middle ground but then pushed through a horrendous plan.

Anyways any candidate if they want a chance needs to at least avoid in most cases taking a firm side on any major issue and speak about a middle ground and the idea of possible compromise even if thats not what they do.

ReformUSA wrote:

But Yes, Trump is smart just like many of the others. He knows he has to speak from a middle ground even if he ends up going to the far right after elected in what he does.
    I disagree. For example, look at the last election cycle, the conservatives thumped the liberals solidly. There was a reason for that thumping. I believe the American public is getting sick and tired of where Obama and his cronies in the U.S. Congress are taking us. I think Americans are more than ready to support someone that will take a hardline on immigration - it's past time. However, that individual must appeal to the public in others ways too. I doubt any election will be won on a single issue. Trump is an egotistical gamer and a publicity hound, people need to understand that. From what I can tell, Donald Trump has always been about Donald Trump. It would be nice if I could have the confidence in him that you obviously do, but that's just not going to happen.

But I can see the use of his words because their are many Americans in the middle who are buying into the whole "poor innocent child brought against their will" routine and like the idea of giving the "good" a chance.
    Yeah, and there are many that aren't. That is why the DREAM Act has failed twice. Don't underestimate the voting publics ability to see through the liberal agenda where illegal immigration is concerned.

If whatever candidate doesn't at least speak from a middle ground we will lose.
    There are a lot of issues confronting this country right now, not just one. So I'll have to disagree with you on this. No, I don't believe a candidate has to take the middle ground on every issue to win. I stand by my position that an individual who support absolutely no amnesty for illegals can win.

Just look at Obama in 2008.... he spoke from a middle ground approach on many subjects and won support
    Trust me, Obama didn't win because he took the middle ground.

Obama never said in 2008 he wanted Amnesty but to fix a broken immigration system, secure the border from threats, and push immigration reform which many groups at that time were showing a type of immigration reform I for one bought into which was the full opposite of what Obama and the liberal nuts are pushing.
    We all knew Obama supported amnesty. He made it very clear that he supported a path to legalization for illegal immigrants through COMPREHENSIVE IMMIGRATION REFORM and the DREAM Act. He's now pushing exactly what he said he was going to push. Why do you think many amnesty supporting Hispanics and illegal alien advocacy groups are so angry with him right now? He's pushing, but the American public's not buying. Did you actually vote for Obama? I'm only asking because you said you bought into his immigration plan.

Anyways any candidate if they want a chance needs to at least avoid in most cases taking a firm side on any major issue and speak about a middle ground and the idea of possible compromise even if thats not what they do.
    Once again, I disagree, especially where illegal immigration is concerned. There have been too many attempts at compromise and look where It's gotten us, Compromise is what the comprehensive immigration reform plan was all about and it failed to pass on two attempts in the U.S. Congress over the last few years. It failed because the majority of people in this country don't support it.

I say darn anyone that says we'll look at each illegal on a case by case basis. NO AMNESTY, NO EXCEPTIONS!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast