Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Trump says he wants ‘comprehensive immigration plan’ but country isn’t ready

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Trump says he wants ‘comprehensive immigration plan’ but country isn’t ready

Trump says he wants ‘comprehensive immigration plan’ but country isn’t ready

Says he’ll make final decision on whether to keep Dreamers’ amnesty

By Stephen Dinan - The Washington Times - Thursday, July 13, 2017

President Trump said Wednesday that he’ll make the final decision on whether to defend President Obama’s 2012 deportation amnesty for Dreamers, and said he wished Congress would pass “a comprehensive immigration plan” — though he said the country’s not ready for that.

The call for a “comprehensive” bill was a stunning remark from Mr. Trump, who during the campaign had said he wanted to see a crackdown on illegal immigration. Comprehensive immigration reform is the description used by advocates who want to see most illegal immigrants legalized, with a full pathway to citizenship.

“What I’d like to do is a comprehensive immigration plan. But our country and political forces are not ready yet,” Mr. Trump said.

Speaking to reporters aboard Air Force One en route to France, Mr. Trump was asked about the 2012 program known as DACA, which is currently protecting some 780,000 young adult illegal immigrants. Mr. Obama created the program but Mr. Trump and Homeland Security Secretary John F. Kelly have kept it going — despite questions about its legality.

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton has said that if Mr. Trump doesn’t revoke the program by September, he’ll challenge DACA as part of a lawsuit that already halted DAPA, Mr. Obama’s broader 2014 amnesty.

Legal analysts say that they can’t see DACA surviving a challenge in a world where DAPA has already been ruled likely illegal.

Mr. Kelly, speaking to Hispanic members of Congress on Wednesday, had said he doubted DACA could withstand legal scrutiny but said the final decision was up to Attorney General Jeff Sessions.

Mr. Trump said, though, that he’ll make it.

“It’s a decision that I make and it’s a decision that’s very very hard to make. I really understand the situation now,” he said.

He added, “There are two sides of a story. It’s always tough.”

Immigrant-rights groups say the DACA program has been a major success, saying it’s helped illegal immigrants who were brought to the U.S. by their parents and grew up here to have a chance in the U.S. economy.

Activists are demanding Mr. Trump fight the program in court, despite the legal obstacles, saying it’s a major test of his presidency.

“This is a moment of truth, and history has its eyes on us,” said Frank Sharry, executive director of America’s Voice.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...igration-plan/
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    “It’s a decision that I make and it’s a decision that’s very very hard to make. I really understand the situation now,” he said.
    I'm going to hope by saying "I really understand the situation now" and "it's a decision that's very very very hard to make" are phrases worded to acquiesce to the 10-state coalition that is threatening to follow through on a lawsuit against DACA.

Yes, I'm being a little optimistic, however, Trump may feel he has been forced into a position where his only option is to end DACA. To attempt to defend DACA in court after saying it was unconstitutional and illegal during his campaign would make him feel and look very foolish. The whole process of defending DACA in court after what he's said in the past would be totally humiliating! Furthermore, how would he get AG Sessions to go along? I don't think he could.

In the end, I think Trump will end DACA before Sept. 5th. Not because he wants too, but because he really doesn't have another option that I can see.
    Last edited by MW; 07-14-2017 at 09:55 AM.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

No immigration reform!

Enforce our laws...we have 30 million illegals and visa overstays to deport.

End anchor baby scam immediately!

Cut off all freebies including taxpayer funded schools.

Get them out of our hospitals and healthcare!

They all need to be cut off from coming here...cold turkey!

You want America? Go build it on your soil...or these corrupt countries will never change and they will continue to DUMP their people on USA.

Implement Global Population Control and end the poverty and overbreeding!
    ILLEGAL ALIENS HAVE "BROKEN" OUR IMMIGRATION SYSTEM

DO NOT REWARD THEM - DEPORT THEM ALL