Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

TV News Coverage of Latinos Lacking, Study Shows

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/news/11911649.htm

Posted June 16, 2005

TV news coverage of Latinos lacking, study shows

By Alex Branch
    Star-Telegram Staff Writer

FORT WORTH _ Dr. Federico Subevri recently watched a television news segment on a political candidate's efforts to appeal to Latino voters.

The news correspondent said, "Oh well, I guess he'll have to learn how to dance the mariachi."

That is just one example of network television news continuing to do a poor job covering Latinos, Subervi said Thursday at the National Association of Hispanic Journalist conference.

The results of a study released Thursday suggests the networks did an even poorer job in 2004 than the year before.

Of the estimated 16,000 stories aired in 2004 on NBC, ABC, CBS and CNN evening newscasts only 115 stories, or .72 percent, were exclusively about Latinos, the 2005 Network Brownout Report shows.

That is a decrease from 2003 when there were 131 stories or .82 percent, the study said.

That is despite Latinos accounting for 58 percent of the country's population growth between 1990 and 2000 and currently making up 14 percent of U.S. population, the study said.

The latest findings are generally consistent with what the study has found every year since 1995, said Subervi, an author of the study.

"It continues to be appalling," said Subervi, an Austin-based media consultant and scholar. "To see this report and say `Oh, maybe this is a one-time situation' is not the case."

The few times the networks did turn their cameras toward Latinos, more than 40 percent of stories were about immigration, the report found. About 12 percent were human interest stories, 10 percent homeland security, 8 percent election and politics and 8 percent crime.

Immigration is an important topic, Subervi said, but stories focus primarily on Latinos as a problem to society.

That "tells you the framework that American society is seeing, looking at and understanding who and what we are," he said.

On a positive note, only eight stories about Latinos were about crime whereas that figure numbered more than 20 in seven of the past 10 years.

But the study also found that stories about Latinos were shorter in 2004 with 33 percent of stories lasting less than 30 seconds. That compared with 24 percent in 2003.

In political coverage, segments more often portrayed Latinos as commodities to be bought and traded by politicians rather than addressing important issues, the study noted. Many stories simply focused on a candidate attempting to speak spanish.

The study listed a lack of Latino reporters at the major networks as one reason they continue to fail at diversifying coverage.

Comments:

AAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!! WHAT NEXT!!!!!
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

That is just one example of network television news continuing to do a poor job covering Latinos, Subervi said Thursday at the National Association of Hispanic Journalist conference.
    Have you found anybody who cares?
    They can watch all the news they want in Mexico City.
    http://www.alipac.us Enforce immigration laws!

Re: TV New Coverage of Latinos Lacking, Study Shows

That is despite Latinos accounting for 58 percent of the country's population growth between 1990 and 2000 and currently making up 14 percent of U.S. population, the study said.

Lets see....I'm groping, really groping, to find out why someone would be interested in coverage of Latinos? Is someone investigating coverage of the Irish, Italians, Germans, French, Afro-Americans, Asians, Jews, etc.? What is it about Latinos that would cause them to be "news worthy" more than anyone else? Help me out here folks, 'cuz, I REALLY WANT TO UNDERSTAND THIS ONE....if there is anything to understand. 58% of the nation's population growth....WOW!! I wonder how they did THAT!!

"It continues to be appalling," said Subervi, an Austin-based media consultant and scholar. "To see this report and say `Oh, maybe this is a one-time situation' is not the case."
    AND what is appalling about it, do we dare ask? It seems to me that the MSM bends over backwards and drops their drawers to invite ANY rubbish placement of any story, whether true or not, concerning the "woes" of Latinos. WHINE, WHINE, WHINE!! (Including THIS STORY, which is a case in point!!)

The few times the networks did turn their cameras toward Latinos, more than 40 percent of stories were about immigration, the report found. About 12 percent were human interest stories, 10 percent homeland security, 8 percent election and politics and 8 percent crime.
    Uh Uh....and Dr. Subervi, your point IS????

Last time I checked, MSM, yes, even they...report the news, they don't make it.

It is, what it is....eh??!!

Immigration is an important topic, Subervi said, but stories focus primarily on Latinos as a problem to society.
    And, again, the point IS?????

News organizations typically don't make the news, they just report it.

That "tells you the framework that American society is seeing, looking at and understanding who and what we are," he said.
    Right...and once again, the point is??? Listen, Latinos have invaded our country illegally. They have stolen jobs, medical care, depressed wages and salaries for Americans, crowded our schools, dumbed down our education as a result, over-crowded our communities, states and country. They came with drugs and trafficking and criminal organizational enterprises. They've killed, murdered, raped, mutilated, robbed, assaulted, and trashed our country. Latinos did that. No one made them do it, they chose to invade a nation. That is the "framework that American society is seeing, looking at and understanding who and what you are". You carry Mexican Flags; you rap about La Reconquista; you blabber about Aztlan; you brag about "turning elections"; you brag about having more children than you can support. And most of these people are foreign nationals and unwelcomed in the United States.

THEREFORE, may I suggest that the American Latino Community, those who are loved and welcomed American Citizens join the fight against illegal immigration, this crime, this cost to our society....and STAND UP FOR AMERICA AS AN AMERICAN and tell your Congressman, your Governors, your President to get TROOPS TO THE BORDERS NOW because these illegal Latinos are hurting your image.

What about that "story" idea, Dr. Subervi? Why don't you encourage Latinos to make some news like THAT?? I'll bet every paper in the United States will run THAT story which would be a positive story....LATINOS STANDING UP FOR US IMMIGRATION, US LABOR AND US CIVIL RIGHTS LAWS FOR AMERICANS!!

In fact, that would be so "novel" a story....it would probably splash the front page from the New York Times to the LA Times!!

On a positive note, only eight stories about Latinos were about crime whereas that figure numbered more than 20 in seven of the past 10 years.
    Well.....I would hardly consider that a "positive note" since crime by illegal Latinos has definitely increased. What this means is....they're not reporting the news anymore with Latino "reference". No wonder Americans didn't know illegal aliens had killed 10,000 people just in the state of California.

My attorney is Mexican American. My next door neighbor one of my best friends is Mexican American. Dr. Subervi has shamed them both. American Latinos do not want this type of "scholarly" assistance. They want immigration law enforced for the same reason ANY AMERICAN wants immigration law enforced.

They do not want to "be in the news" any more or less than what their actions would dictate. Their chance to be in the news for postive achievements is the same as any American....slim to none. Neither are WHINERS. They are Americans. Foreign nationals and those "advocating them" are the WHOLLY WHINERS of the USA Today.

The more you WHINE, the more you alienate the American People because while we may be many things, one thing we are not and have never been is "a bunch of whiners".

And, any true "scholar" would know that.

Tired of these phoney whiners? I sure am.

Reminds me of a little story I was taught at a very early age about "crying wolf"....... too many times.

A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

But the study also found that stories about Latinos were shorter in 2004 with 33 percent of stories lasting less than 30 seconds. That compared with 24 percent in 2003.
    Oh, the humanity!!! What is the world coming to? Shorter stories for Latinos. Don't you just know they are staying up nights worrying about it, wracking their brains about how they can get longer stories!!! Homes are being destroyed, communities wrecked, children left homeless all because of the demonic, evil news media and their short Hispanic stories!!!

When oh when will it end?
    When we gonna wake up?

Scarescrow, "when oh when will it end?"

TRUTH?

Either when we hit the streets or we bust their bankers.

I am personally in favor of a two-pronged approach involving both!!

A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

You misunderstood, Judy. I was bemoaning the tragedy of too few and too short news stories on Hispanics in thsi country. How could you be so insensitive. This is a serious problem! Think of the long term psychological damage it could do to young Hispanics, the very thought of those short news stories. I think Congress should pass a law!!!
    When we gonna wake up?

Why are they whining about this? If we had more coverage of Latinos in the news media, it would most likely be related to illegals invading our country, gangs like MS-13 hacking people up, dangerous drug cartels, children who are illiterate and families who are dirt poor, how they are sucking our systems dry, how they whine and cry about how America is not Mexico yet. They should be happy they don't get the real coverage they deserve.

Disclaimer: Rant not intended for real Latinos who dare break free from the Vicente Fox plantation of thinking and actually obey the laws of the land and contribute to this great nation known as America.
    Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

tv and latinos

Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow
    You misunderstood, Judy. I was bemoaning the tragedy of too few and too short news stories on Hispanics in thsi country. How could you be so insensitive. This is a serious problem! Think of the long term psychological damage it could do to young Hispanics, the very thought of those short news stories. I think Congress should pass a law!!!
    Oh dont worry scarecrow. Congress is on top of that. They are desperatly trying to study up on the spanish language. We cant have a bunch of Americans running around speaking english, now can we? It would be unfair.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Thanks, BB. I feel much better now, knowing that my representatives in Washington are on top of the problem. I knew we could count on them!
    When we gonna wake up?