Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

What do you think

Alright my son has a 1 page Essay to do. On what he thinks an American is. (No joke) Really surprised me that he got this essay. How would you go about explaining it ? I mean common, he came to me for help. However we all know that my grammar/spelling/English is below average.

It made me feel rather good, that his teacher is assigning this type of essay. Being a American I could see his horror if he received anything less then a A

I'm wondering what other high schools students might write on this essay. By other high school I tend to lean toward the ones with mostly "illegal" aliens in them.

Ive noticed when I have attempted to write it, it tends to go more toward a legal/illegal theme. I don't think that is what they want
    "We are not for any type or form of "AMNESTY"..We are a equal oppurtunity deporter. We will not discriminate against you due to your race/age/religion .. "

Are we Patriots

I wrote this back in June.

Last night, I was laying in bed wondering why am I doing this.

Seeking for answers, I began reflecting on my life and searching for things in my past, which may have inspired me to root the illegal aliens out of America. I thought of my parents but they weren’t the driving force. I thought of my family, which has many law enforcement officers and military men and women. However, nothing but pride and respect welled up within me. I thought about my elementary school principal, he was a former Air Force captain and he was very patriotic. But he wasn’t it either. I thought of documentaries, history books and stories that I have read. That wasn’t it either. I continued to search my past for answers but everything seemed dismissible. Then suddenly, I remembered 1976.

I was just a school girl, during the American Bicentennial. I remembered the Freedom Train, the replica of the Liberty Bell, the stories of our patriots, the words of the Declaration of Independence. I know the words of many patriotic songs. I can name most of the founding fathers and even the traitor Benedict Arnold. I remember the name of my pen pal from the 13 Colonies. Lisa from Rhode Island and I still have her letters. I remember the first time I met Uncle Sam. He was a full size poster on the wall of my elementary school library. I remember stories of the Shot Heard Around the World, the Midnight Ride of Paul Revere, the Boston Tea Party, Lexington and Concord, Bunker Hill, Cornwallis, George Washington crossing the Delaware, Independence Hall, the signing of the Declaration of Independence…

I now realize the impact a single year, 1976, has had on my life. I now know what is driving me to preserve America. It was the values instilled in me as a young impressionable girl. I will never forget the bravery, patriotism and determination that made America. I will not stand aside and allow it to become anything less that what our forefathers endowed upon us. I will not allow it to become annihilated by corrupt elected officials, which refuse to abide by the will of the people nor invasion by foreigners.

I am an American Patriot! I will defend and preserve America.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Beautiful Dixie..
    "We are not for any type or form of "AMNESTY"..We are a equal oppurtunity deporter. We will not discriminate against you due to your race/age/religion .. "

I now know what is driving me to preserve America. It was the values instilled in me as a young impressionable girl. I will never forget the bravery, patriotism and determination that made America. I will not stand aside and allow it to become anything less that what our forefathers endowed upon us. I will not allow it to become annihilated by corrupt elected officials, which refuse to abide by the will of the people nor invasion by foreigners.

Well said indeed Dixie. I had those same values instilled in me when I was young. At home, in school, in church, in scouts...TPTB hate it too because they don't want those values instilled anymore.
    [b]Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.
    - Arnold J. Toynbee

Clap, Clap, Clap, to you Dixie, I am not as puter literate as many on here and cannot find hands clapping to put on here for you, way to go girl!
    Build the dam fence post haste!

Banned
    Great Dixie - well said!

Dixie,

Like everyone says here, WELL DONE!!!
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.

Dixie, good job! I also had American values instilled in me while I was young and it pushed me to do the right thing and join up for the service. But the one thing I remember is that when I was very small, 4-5 years old, President Kennedy was shot and killed. The mood around our home was very chilled and to a small boy it was overwhelmingly sad. There was no talk of politics or who's side he was on, he was our President. Our leader was killed. There was nothing but shock and sadness. Some of the feelings I am getting lately seeing what the illegals are doing are similar to what I remember from back then. The death of our country.
    Hussein who?

Re: What do you think

Quote Originally Posted by Triumph
    Alright my son has a 1 page Essay to do. On what he thinks an American is. (No joke) Really surprised me that he got this essay. How would you go about explaining it ? I mean common, he came to me for help. However we all know that my grammar/spelling/English is below average.

It made me feel rather good, that his teacher is assigning this type of essay. Being a American I could see his horror if he received anything less then a A

I'm wondering what other high schools students might write on this essay. By other high school I tend to lean toward the ones with mostly "illegal" aliens in them.

Ive noticed when I have attempted to write it, it tends to go more toward a legal/illegal theme. I don't think that is what they want
    I realized that my earlier post didn't do much to suggest the way I think (the title of this topic) about your subject.

I think your son should at least try to tell, in his own words, what he feels about being an American. He is a high-schooler and he should be thinking for himself by now. Does being in Indiana help or hurt? What sort of history has he learned at school and at home? I am out west and our schools don't follow the traditional history, ours is western oriented as far as I can tell from my kids' homework. I often help my daughter think of things to get her going but I have never done her homework for her. I doubt you want to do his paper for him either.
    Hussein who?

Re: What do you think

I doubt you want to do his paper for him either

No, Basically I do make a basic outline for him. Then I will check his work when completed. This time he is drawing some blanks. I asked what he thinks about when asked the question. What is a American ?

His answers:
    Apple Pie
    4th of July
    Freedom
    George Washington

Unfortunately that is as far as we got. He wasn't feeling to well last night (migraine). So he was in bed at 6PM, I didn't want to wake him. So expanding from just a one word answer never happened. He rarely ask for my help. So when he does I know its important to him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast