Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Altura.....what you say does make sense. I still stand that it should be a choice and that's all. I don't like it being forced on our kids.

When I was little and we're talking 2-3 grade. We were learning about other cultures. By that time, back then, you were reading and comfortable with spelling etc. We learned O Taunanbaum (sp) Oh Christmas Tree, in German. Plus at some time frara jacah......you know the French tune.... We learned to count to 10 in German, French and Spanish. Learned how to say Merry Christmas in other languages. I think we also learned how to say I love you in a bunch of different languages. wo-ah ne sticks in my mind....Chinese or Japanese.... It was fun when the English teacher put a word up for the day and we learned where the word originated from and found words like library aren't that much different in French or Spanish....etc. Medical terms from Latin etc. They used language as a means to make us want to learn more and also find the commonality in it.

So yes it's a great time to learn it. But not too early and not without a choice.

Just with what's going on in the middle-east and our lack of people knowing that language......it is important to know your enemies....we just have alot of them. I just want the choice.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

greyparrot, Now it is mandatory for kids to take a second language in high school anyway, it is much easier for kids to pick up a new language when they are small for some reason they are much more versatile then older kids even. I took spanish one semester in high school and I am embarrassed to say, I only remember a smattering of it. So if they have to take a second languate anyway, why not take Spanish, a language that we are going to need in the very near future in order to survive! Perhaps they should include Chinese! I was only being sarcastic with the chinese but I am afraid they are going to own us one day if we are not careful!
    Build the dam fence post haste!

I still say it should be a choice. Spanish was probably the language most kids chose when I was in school and it was because people said it was the easiest. But for those who wanted to go to college.....Latin for sure was more prefered. We only had French, German, Spanish and Latin.

When you went to college you might get Russian or Arabic. Yet there's a host of other languages. Some people can pick up languages easily. I am NOT one of those people.

I also beleive some people's mouths just don't move right to speak certain languages. Orientals have a problem with L. There's people who can't roll their R's or speak through their throat. In some languages if you do that part wrong....it's an insult. Lord knows I would butcher a bunch of them.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by krazynbama
    Quote Originally Posted by dlm1968
    The history books have already been rewritten and have been for a long time.
    History textbooks are very slanted to make America look bad as much as possible. I have been searching high and low for accurate history textbooks for children. The only ones I have been able to find are old textbooks which of course will not teach more recent history.
    Textbooks can be culturally, racially biased. As a teacher I've seen this before in history books. There was practically no native american history included in the textbooks and what was there made them appear to be primitive losers. What you CAN do is ask the school board when they have textbook adoption committees you would like to participate. They usually get teachers, parents, and administrators to work on this together. There are so many textbook companies now and so many to choose from!

As for the language in first grade....that is a good time to teach another language. Nntrixie, I agree with what you said. We do need to know the language of those invading our country, and that is what the majority of illegals speak. Being as we don't know the future of the immigration issue, it's not a bad idea that our children learn it. However, I think it is fair to offer more than one language. French, German, Japanese....anything as well as Spanish.
    Actually, old History books are pretty biased as well take General Custer for instance, in reality he was a low life murdering bastard and a disgrace to the US Army, but in old history books, he's profiled as a hero.

Altura Ct Wrote:
    I say BS! It's not a matter of survival it is a matter of capitulation. It is just the opposite of "survival" it is ultimately slavery to a foreign way of life! Peace at any price? Don't make waves. Walk all over me I don't care. If you give in now what future does your posterity have? Just what does it mean to be American to you? What do Liberty and way of life mean to you? If you've already given up WHY ARE YOU HERE?

Dam straight Altura!

What the hell is the matter with you people? W is going to be pissed!
    “In questions of power…let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution.” –Thomas Jefferson

What the hell is the matter with you people? W is going to be pissed!
    Reciprocity, Nobody here is capitulating. We're having a debate re the importance of education, FREEDOM OF CHOICE AND GUIDANCE BY PARENTS, instead of having our choices taken away, and if you read all the posts, preparation for knowing our opposition at an even deeper level.

That indicates long term commitment to our beloved nation, IMO.

We don't quit.

W will speak for himself.
    TIME'S UP!
    Why should <u>only</u> AMERICAN CITIZENS and LEGAL immigrants, have to obey the law?!

Nitty wrote:
    greyparrot, Now it is mandatory for kids to take a second language in high school anyway, it is much easier for kids to pick up a new language when they are small for some reason they are much more versatile then older kids even.
    Please don't lump ALL kids together when making such a statment! Learning spanish would have been a peice of cake for my 11 year old neice, a straight "A" student. On the other hand, her younger brother, a second grader, is having great difficulty learning even the most basic reading and writing skills.

Spanish language classes will help him how?

Quote Originally Posted by AlturaCt
    Well said CB!

This is a bit of a disheartening conversation. I'm sorry but I can't let this pass.

Now I do understand the resentment - but whether we like it or not, the Mexicans are here to stay. I feel in my bones, there will some form of amnesty - and if not, they will allow those with anchor babies to stay.
    If you really believe that what are your reasons for being here? What do you mean Mexicans are here to stay? If we allow amnesty to be granted and stand without a fight where will we be in another 20 years?

[quote:2l1r94yi]If our kids can't speak Spanish when they grow up, they will be at a definite disadvantage.
    Once again if you really believe that what are you doing here?

Spanish is going to be a must.
    To me, Spanish is just a matter of survival
    I say BS! It's not a matter of survival it is a matter of capitulation. It is just the opposite of "survival" it is ultimately slavery to a foreign way of life! Peace at any price? Don't make waves. Walk all over me I don't care. If you give in now what future does your posterity have? Just what does it mean to be American to you? What do Liberty and way of life mean to you? If you've already given up WHY ARE YOU HERE?

Does everyone feel this way? Maybe I'm wasting my time here. Are we just going roll over and die?[/quote:2l1r94yi]

I'm with you AlturaCt.

I don't think OUR children should have a foreign language in first grade. That's total BS. Our kids are going to the schools that WE pay for to be educated. Not to be able to communicate with their non-English speaking classmates.

They should be taught things like English, math, history, science, etc.

When it's time for a foreign language in high school, there should be a large selection for the kids to choose from. My daughter actually had 4 years of Latin.

As far as jobs with "bilingual" requirements. That's more crap. Why should WE have to learn the language of those sucking our local, state and federal coffers dry to enable them to do it?

If everyone rolls over and doesn't stand up for the rights our forefathers fought and died for, our children will be doomed!

As far as jobs with "bilingual" requirements. That's more crap. Why should WE have to learn the language of those sucking our local, state and federal coffers dry to enable them to do it?
    Had, exactly!!!!!
    TIME'S UP!
    Why should <u>only</u> AMERICAN CITIZENS and LEGAL immigrants, have to obey the law?!

The sad thing is I can't find a good paying job outside of the home because I'm not bilingual. Who would have thought we would need to be able to speak, write and read spanish to get a job in the U.S.A.?

Where I was working before the bilingual person got the promotion just because she was bilingual. She couldn't spell in either language and could barely type. She also had a green card so she wasn't even a citizen of the U.S. Never mind that I am a good speller and can accurately type 70-80 words a minute-I wasn't good enough. It made me mad enough that I said forget this S**T and became self employed. I wish I would have found this board then-I may have the guts to fight back-I was so naive then.

Sadly I do feel like my kids must learn spanish and I wish they all would have learned it when they were in kindergarten and first grade. That's when they pick up other languages the fastest. They also would have used it until now and however long it takes to get the invasion stopped.

I've seen many mexican children who don't have enough brain power to learn two languages so as soon as they get to school they learn English and then they forget their spanish. Then the parents are complaining because they can't communicate with their children. Of course the parents are too lazy to learn English. Why should businesses and schools cater to them in spanish constantly. Let the non english speakers get their own interpreters! Or better yet they can go back home.

I want to make clear here that I am not of the position that any other language should be crammed down our childrens throats! In fact it gripped my butt that I had to take a foreign language in high school just to graduate and I really cut my nose off so to speak by being very lazy about even trying to learn the rudiments of that language, only wanted to get a passing grade to get by and graduate out of that class. What I am trying to say here is a foreign language is a requirement in our schools. Yes, I think children or young adults should have the right to choose what language they decide on, thing is though in many smaller rural schools only Spanish is offered, I suppose because it is easier to find teachers to instruct that language, whatever the reason, it seems to be the language most often offered in public schools. The only reason I suggested that this language should be taught in elementry school is it is a proven fact that young children more easily learn a foreign language then young adults and adults do, they adapt more easily then older people do. So, if they have to learn a foreign language, why the hell not learn it when it is much easier for them to learn that language! I am not suggesting a bilingual culture, I hate the idea of that, I think English should be the only true language of America. It is all well and good to have a choice of languages for our children such as German, Italian,French, Russian, what ever, the reality is our country is not being invaded by any of those countries, we are being invaded by spanish speaking people and I want my grandchildren to have the ability of understanding that language, to know what those who might be wanting to "take back their country" so to speak,might be saying in their language how they are going to do that! We would already be in one hell of a mess if these people are here who want to take over our ountry, their words not mine, and we had no one who spoke or understood their language to tell the rest of us who didn't what they were planning! Even the Bible says to know your enemies, I believe in order to do that you must be able to understand what they are saying. If anyone wants to think that I am suggesting we need to assimilate into their culture, or to have a bi-culture country you are dead wrong. My ancestors learned the hard way about the enemy, they learned to late,you better dam will learn their intentions and plans or what is yours would be stolen right out from under you.
    I am not suggesting here that all spanish speaking people or hispanics are in any way trying to harm our country, I am speaking of the hispanic groups who are here illegallypreaching to their people and followers, that this in essence has always been their country and they will take it back. I am for legal immigration of hispanics and all immigrants who come to our country with good intentions of assimilating into our culture, learning our language, and loving our country and adopting it as theirs. That is not the case with all these illegals coming here though, and I say again, we need to know where they are coming from!
    Build the dam fence post haste!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast