Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

When Anglos become the minority......

Nice comments are at the end.

Carlos Guerra: Much more than District 23 result at stake in voting challenges

Web Posted: 12/03/2006 12:12 AM CST

San Antonio Express-News

Early voting might have opened Saturday to decide if incumbent Henry Bonilla will win an eighth term in the Texas 23rd Congressional District, or if former Congressman Ciro Rodríguez will return to the U.S. House.
    But for the Mexican American Legal Defense and Education Fund (MALDEF) and the League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC), which wanted a longer early voting period with at least one weekend, it was a hollow victory. Of the 19 counties in District 23, only Bexar was fully prepared to open its polls.

"I'm just tired of it all," said LULAC National Counsel Luís Vera about prevailing in the quest for seven days of early voting. In many elections, there are 17 early voting days, but a fuzzy federal court order left the laws in question.

"They have thrown everything at us," said Vera, who has represented LULAC for eight years and is one of a small band of lawyers, who, over 40 years, took on entrenched Democrats over electoral rights of the disenfranchised, and are now battling Republicans.

"We have been at this one since 2002," he said.

That predates the redrawing of Texas' last congressional map, when the GOP's new legislative majority empowered them to remap districts again, in mid-decade. The fights continued when House Democrats went to Oklahoma to deny the new majority a quorum, and when Democratic senators went to Albuquerque with the same intent.

After the boycotts fizzled, Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst abandoned the Senate's traditional "two-thirds rule," and ex-Congressman Tom DeLay's new map was rushed into law.

More legal challenges followed. But ultimately, the U.S. Supreme Court upheld most of the 2003 redistricting plan, striking down only District 23's configuration.

Latino support for Bonilla — the U.S. House's only Mexican American Republican — had eroded to 8 percent in 2002. The 2003 map replaced 100,000 voters from heavily Hispanic counties with heavily Anglo counties.

The justices ordered that the Mexican American "opportunity district" be restored, and that special elections be held concurrently with the Nov. 7 election in five districts that were altered. But since primary results were voided, the jurists ordered that the secretary of state call a runoff election if no candidate drew a majority.

MALDEF and LULAC challenged Gov. Rick Perry's and Secretary of State Roger Williams' last-minute announcement of the runoff-election date, Dec. 12, which is one week sooner than the date announced for another special election called to replace a recently deceased state representative. They also challenged orders for only five days of early voting.

They prevailed on the second challenge, but only Bexar County residents will get two weekend early voting days. Vera says he will abandon a future lawsuit if all counties are ordered to conduct early voting next weekend.

"I just hope people realize that this isn't about Henry and Ciro, Republicans or Democrats, Anglos and Latinos or liberals or conservatives," Vera says. "Whoever wins won't hold that office forever.

"This is about fair elections," he says gravely. "When Republicans lose control — and they will, and when Anglos become a minority, do they want to be treated the way they are treating us?"

To contact Carlos Guerra, call (210) 250-3545 or e-mail cguerra@express-news.net. His column appears on Sundays, Tuesdays and Thursday.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/column ... fc84b.html
    The John McCain Call Center
    [img]http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/815000/images/_818096_foxphone150.jpg[/]

My email to him;

Mr. Guerra,

I just read your commentary on the runoff election at http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/column ... fc84b.html

At the end of your article you stated: when Anglos become a minority, do they want to be treated the way they are treating us?"

What exactly do you mean by that? I find that to be a very offensive and racist comment. Are you keeping score or waiting to have your revenge on the white race? How are "we" treating "you"? Please explain your derogatory comment.

A very offended San Antonian.

Banned
    "When Republicans lose control — and they will, and when Anglos become a minority, do they want to be treated the way they are treating us?"
    Did I miss something here - what is he griping about? Aren't incumbent Henry Bonilla and Ciro Rodríguez both of Hispanic background?

It looks to me that they all are losing their mind and thanks to President Bush and the open border democrats, they are trying hard to spread that virus that makes you think that open borders is good and Anglo's have to die or go back to Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Kate
    "When Republicans lose control — and they will, and when Anglos become a minority, do they want to be treated the way they are treating us?"
    Did I miss something here - what is he griping about? Aren't incumbent Henry Bonilla and Ciro Rodríguez both of Hispanic background?
    Ciro Rodríguez is LULAC and MALDEF's choice candidate in this election. So I'm going to vote for Bonilla (again) even though I'm not super pysched about him. Apparently the "hispanics" have turned against Bonilla.

I hate his talk as if this is a white vs latino thing. I'm seeing alot of this just white American hate. I'm angry about this and I have yet to see a white person treat these people, legal or illegal, rudely. I have my own thoughts and feelings on the subject but I've never done anything to anyone or said anything to anyone or treated any of them with dis-respect. I on the other hand have been flipped off, ran off the road, robbed, my husband beat up etc. and this is some threat that it could be worse or somehow justified if they become the majority? It's not funny.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

It's just a sign of things to come Crazybird. Why wouldn't they just wipe out the white race competely if they had a huge majority? They kill and destroy their own people and apparently, we are beneath them.

It's just a sign of things to come Crazybird
    That's what scares the heck out of me.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

It's just a sign of things to come Crazybird. Why wouldn't they just wipe out the white race competely if they had a huge majority? They kill and destroy their own people and apparently, we are beneath them.
    The American public is so parylized by P.C. blindness that they refuse to deal with what is coming our way. White Amerca, and specifically white men, have lost their will to stand up for their culture and heritage. Why? Because they will be called a racist!!!! God forbid.
    D.W.

I e-mailed him and asked who he thought would pay for HUD, food stamps and AFDC when America's educated skilled workers are in short supply.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast