Hello to all ALI-PAC members,

I'm a new member of this forum. I signed up to read discusions and post topics. Watching the news today got me to think were I really stand on the issue of illegal immigrantion. The more I read about it I realize there's no way to be fair to everyone. And the more I think about it I realize that agree with both sides, the immigrants and the citizens that already live here.

It is true that accomodating a rapidly increasing population puts a strain on programs like social security and medi-cal. On the other hand it is very convenient for citizens to have no pity for illegals, because after all the English that came here were immigrants too, and the Italians, and the Irish, and the Chinese, and all the rest. Ultimately, illegal immigration has always been a part of this country, and for better or for worse it was founded by immigrants. The immigrants that came way back when found no such thing as social security or health coverage, so there was no issue there.

Ultimately immigration is convenient for the wealthy of Mexico. The poor leave Mexico, so the government doesn't have to create programs to take care of them, and the immigrants here send back millions of dollars back to Mexico. If the minute men took a minute to consider what their lives would be like were they born in Mexico, they would realize that they may have also made the choice to risk their lives, and abandon their homes for the sake of feeding their families. It is too easy to judge.

Mexico was ruled by a single corrupt party for about 70 years, and finally in the last election Mexicans cheered for a president from a new political party. I believe that the only substantial thing that would ameliorate illegal immigrantion and guarantee a future for Mexicans in their home country is to make the Mexican government do what they should to make life better for poor mexicans. It is in the best interest of most, to do so.

With the best intentions,
bayareagirl