Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yard Work

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

When I was a youngster starting at about age 10, the yard work was MY job. My Dad used to tell me we were a family and we all had to share in the the household work if we were to eat and survive. I rapidly learned to utilize my lawn skills and was earning $50.00 a week by the time I was 12 cutting lawns during the summer, raking leaves during the fall and shoveling snow during the winter. When I was 11 years old my Dad took me out to a giant department store parking lot (that was when stores were closed on Sunday) and let me drive his car around the parking lot with him guiding me. Talk about an excited 11 year old! On the way home he lowered the boom, he told me if I wanted to drive when I was 16, I needed to think about making some money to buy a car, because he wasn't going to buy me one and I couldn't drive his. I thought he was the meanest son of a gun alive. By the time I was 15 I had saved up $750.00 (1973 dollars). My Dad made a big mistake by taking me with him to look at a car (1967 Chevy Corvair) he wanted real bad. He was wrangling with the owner over the price ($260.00) and went back outside to look the car over one more time. As soon as he left the room, I handed the owner $50.00 as a deposit and told him we would come back with the rest. My dad came back in and said he would take the car....it was an awkward moment as the owner told my Dad I bought it. He just looked at me and said "Alright then, we best get to your bank and get this man the rest of his money". He never complained or got angry as he knew how hard I had worked. I would on many occassion catch him looking in the drivers window a little misty eyed. He knew he had taught me well. He was a real man, a real father and the best teacher I ever had!

This is the way things were done before all the illegal landscapers, WHAT the devil happened?
    "Let my name stand among those who are willing to bear ridicule and reproach for the truth's sake." -- Louisa May Alcott

This is the way things were done before all the illegal landscapers
    Or even weed eaters! I remember well hand grass-clippers. My mom was a stickler for "trimming". I used to hate it but did it anyway. To this day I "trim" my yard. No illegals required! Just a cold beer perhaps
    [b]Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.
    - Arnold J. Toynbee

WeLcOmE AlturaCt!!!!

cutting the grass isn't sissy work if you have a heart condition ...
    Mamie! I would agree! My dad had a heart condition and he got a self propelled mower. My hubby has a stint so my son is often put behind the mower, when he comes home to eat.

My point is if a woman can get out there and run a mower around the yard, a man sure can. There is no excuse why most of us can't mow our own lawns or do the mundane chores that illegals are hired to do.

Quite frankly, if you are older and unable to do things, you should ask for help or hire someone legal to do it for you. Also, many churches have assistance programs. I have a 89 year old neighbor and she has no children but the neighbors always cut her grass and clean up around for her. I don't climb ladders anymore. So I have to barter, beg, bribe and hire.

Really, we were doing these jobs and getting all these things accomplished before we had all these illegals around. We don't need them. Some of us may want them but we don't need them.

Defens, That's a cool story!

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Senior Member AmericanElizabeth's Avatar
    Well Dixie, if we lived closer to you, I'd sure have a very happy 12 year old "man" to do all your dirty work. He is hard pressed to find any jobs this summer!! He is a big kid for almost 13 (5'5" and about 150#, lots of muscle and willing to use it).

Too bad people here have yet to give kids like him a chance, guess we live in the wrong neigborhood, oh that's right, most of our neighbors already have those jobs!!

Heaven forbid our American kids learn to pick fruit and vegetables and do yard work for a living, it might put some illegal aliens out of work!!
    "In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

My Dad used to tell me we were a family and we all had to share in the the household work if we were to eat and survive
    Defens,

Exactly! And we didn't get money for contributing to the family's well-being. It was simply the way it was.

Remember, Americans and LEGAL immigrants, way out-number the illegal aliens right now. Soooo, most of the work IS done by us.

I am unable to do my lawn at this point, as I used to. So, I hired an AMERICAN citizen!!!!
    TIME'S UP!
    Why should <u>only</u> AMERICAN CITIZENS and LEGAL immigrants, have to obey the law?!

curiouspat - you should be ashamed of yourself. Hiring an American citizen to a job that Americans will not do. You are depriving an illegal of their right to work and not pay taxes.

dim, I know!

My head is hanging to the floor in shame!!!
    TIME'S UP!
    Why should <u>only</u> AMERICAN CITIZENS and LEGAL immigrants, have to obey the law?!

My husband and I do our own yard work. When we did a renovation on the outside of our house. My husband either worked alone or hired a friend.
    Work together for the benefit of all mankind

Reading this thread, I was TRULY SADDENED! Then, I thought THESE PEOPLE NEED HELP.

Maybe we should start a support group! Sort of a twelve step program aimed at helping us through this addiction we have...the first step is to admit your addiction to doing your own work when you could be letting a illegal alien criminal border jumper do it for you.

"Hello, my name is PINTO BEAN, and I do not hire illegal aliens."

Group "HELLO PINTO BEAN"

"I'm not sure how it all got started, but the next thing I knew, I was cutting my own lawn, doing minor repairs around my own home. My addiction grew, and I started cutting my neighbors yards as well, I because if you will the good Samaritan on my block."

....lots of knowing sympathetic nods of understanding from others like myself, Americans, LEGAL CITIZENS all, each afflicted with the same vile sinister sickness as mine....and adversion to hiring, employing, being sympathetic towards illegals bent on stealing our jobs, cutting our lawns, cleaning our toilets, building our homes, watching our children, ringing up our groceries, owning our business. These people understand me,,,a tear runs down my cheek as I continue to speak.

"The next thing I knew, little Anchor Babies were every where I went, staring at me as I momed my lawn, shaking their heads as I cleaned out my gutters, water my flower beds...the guilt and shame were horrid, how could I be so selfish, SO AMERICAN?"
    Keep the spirit of a child alive in your heart, and you can still spy the shadow of a unicorn when walking through the woods.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast