DREAM Act Advocates Lobby Congressmen

Harrisonburg, Va.
Getting into college can be tough, but for 25-year-old Isabel, it was practically impossible because she's an undocumented immigrant originally from Mexico.
Posted: 6:43 PM Feb 24, 2010
Reporter: Michael Hyland

Advocates for undocumented immigrants are building support in the Valley.

Harrisonburg's City Council voted unanimously Tuesday night to support the DREAM Act, also called "The Development, Relief, and Education for Alien Minors Act."

The proposed law pertains to young undocumented immigrants who were brought to the United States before turning 16.

If passed through Congress, it would allow this group of young people to pursue higher education or military service. It would also provide them a path toward citizenship.

Getting into college can be tough. For 25-year-old Isabel, it was practically impossible.

She's an undocumented immigrant originally from Mexico. Her parents brought her to the U.S. illegally when she was six years old.

She lives each day knowing she could be kicked out of the United States.

"A five year old doesn't really have that mental capacity to think, 'Oh, don't take me to the U.S. because if I don't become legal then I'm going to go through these issues,'" says Isabel.

She's leading the effort in the Valley to build support for the DREAM Act.

She made a presentation at Tuesday's council meeting, saying she had gathered hundreds of signatures from local people in support of the DREAM Act.

Isabel went to school in the Valley and she graduated from high school at the top of her class.

"Knowing that I couldn't apply to a university, could not get scholarships, could not get financial aid, it was hard," says Isabel.

Americans for Legal Immigration PAC opposes the DREAM Act.

"It rewards illegal immigration, will lead to more illegal immigration, and will create a situation where illegal immigrants become citizens and gain the right to vote," says William Gheen, president and national director of ALIPAC.

Gheen says passing the DREAM Act could lead to other laws that would give amnesty to more undocumented immigrants.

Isabel disagrees. She says it's about young people like her getting a chance to succeed in the place they've long called home.

"And I just want to do what I really love to do: help people, give back to my community, find a good job," says Isabel.

Isabel has looked into gaining citizenship, but she says that process is too expensive. She says the process also involves her going back to Mexico and risking never being able to get back into the United States where most of her family lives.

Local advocates say they'll now focus more on lobbying Virginia's congressmen and senators to pass the DREAM Act.

http://www.whsv.com/news/headlines/85258742.html