Cindy wrote:

The responses by the senators and congress are all very similar. Someone is telling them what to say. They are like robots repeating the same garbage over and over again.
There is a good chance your Senator never even read your letter. Most of our representatives have a person(s) on their staff designated to receive and respond to the letters with one of several pre-made letters that have been designed to apply semi-specifically to your concerns.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying our representatives never read our letters, but I am saying some are much better at it than others. Make no mistake though, most letters are first screened by a staff flunky who will determine the value and importance of your letter. This staff member will then decide whether your letter deserves special attention. The only contact some representatives have with our concerns (not our letters) is the stack of outgoing letters placed on their desk weekly for signature.

Bottom line, far from 100% of our letters are actually ready by the individual on the "To:" line. Of course you probably already knew this.

I send letters and emails to elected representatives routinely, but I've learned over the years not to expect a response. Sometimes I get them and sometimes I don't, but I've learned to never expect them. This especially holds true in cases were I've sent numerous letters or emails to the same individual. As for the letters and emails I've sent to representatives outside North Carolina - the response rate is dismal! Folks who don't directly represent you tend to have little interest in your opinions or thoughts - their main concern is the voters whom control their destiny.

With all the above said, I still encourage you to keep sending the emails and letters because even if your representative doesn't actually read them, his staff will keep him informed of public opinion related to your issues of concern.