Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

This article says she's being deported on the 1997 order; THIS makes me feel better!

Immigration Activist Arrested in L.A.
    Immigration Activist Who Sought Sanctuary in Chicago Church Arrested in L.A., to Be Deported

By PETER PRENGAMAN Associated Press Writer
    LOS ANGELES Aug 19, 2007 (AP)

An illegal immigrant who stayed in a Chicago church for a year to avoid separation from her 8-year-old son, a U.S. citizen, was arrested Sunday and being processed for deportation.

Elvira Arellano, who arrived in Los Angeles on Saturday after leaving her sanctuary to campaign for immigration reform, was arrested around 1:30 p.m. outside Our Lady Queen of Angels Catholic Church where she had been speaking to reporters, said the Rev. Walter Coleman, pastor of Adalberto United Methodist, the Chicago church.

Arellano was "being processed for removal to Mexico based upon a deportation order originally issued by a federal immigration judge in 1997," U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement said in a news release.

Immigration activists promised protests and vigils to support her.

"We are sad, but at the same time we are angry," said Javier Rodriguez, a Chicago immigration activist who worked with her. "How dare they arrest this woman?"

Anti-illegal immigrant groups said the arrest was long overdue.

"Just because the woman has gone public and made an issue of the fact that she is defying law doesn't mean the government doesn't have to do its job," said Ira Mehlman of the Federation for American Immigration Reform, which favors limits on immigration.

Arellano, 32, has become a symbol of the struggles of illegal immigrant parents and a source of controversy. She had said Saturday she was not afraid of being taken into custody by immigration agents.

"From the time I took sanctuary the possibility has existed that they arrest me in the place and time they want," she said in Spanish. "I only have two choices. I either go to my country, Mexico, or stay and keep fighting. I decided to stay and fight."

At an afternoon news conference in Los Angeles, Arellano's son, Saul, hid behind Coleman's wife, Emma Lozano, and wiped away tears. Lozano said she is the boy's legal guardian.

"He's taking it better than we thought he would," said Lozano, the head of an immigration rights group in Chicago.

Arellano came to Washington state illegally in 1997. She was deported to Mexico shortly after, but returned and moved to Illinois in 2000, taking a job cleaning planes at O'Hare International Airport.

She was arrested in 2002 at O'Hare and convicted of working under a false Social Security number. She was to surrender to authorities last August.

She sought refuge at the storefront church on Chicago's West Side Aug. 15, 2006. She had not left the church property until deciding to be driven to Los Angeles, Coleman said.

As news of her arrest spread Sunday, members of the Chicago church began arriving to pray.

"People will be sad about what happened to Elvira," said Catherine Archibald, a member of the congregation and a friend of Elvira's. "But I think it is very important now that we mobilize and push even harder."

Associated Press writers Michael Tarm in Chicago and Raquel Maria Dillon in Los Angeles contributed to this report.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=3499274

Gee whiz y'all, while I made a 2 sentence comment Dixie and AmericanGirl wrote 2 whole comments! Do y'all have like lightening fast fingers or what? Dang,look what CVAngel did too!

Head 'em up,move 'em out Rawhide!

So, if they're deporting on the '97 Order, it stops any appeals for mercy based on Saul right in their tracks, now doesn't it?

Now, my only hope is that someone has the where-with-all to remove that child from contact with that whole damned bunch and place him in a normal family environment where he can just be an 8 year old little boy. He's been used and exploited by his mother, the "church" and the rest of these cretins for long enough.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I just thought of this -little Saul will finally get a bed to himself now.(For anyone who didn't read a previous article this week,it said Elvirus and her 8 yr old share a TWIN bed.)

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide
    I just thought of this -little Saul will finally get a bed to himself now.(For anyone who didn't read a previous article this week,it said Elvirus and her 8 yr old share a TWIN bed.)

LOL...."Elvirus"......I like it Rawhide. Sounds about right, I mean, after all....if the shoe fits
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Senior Member NoIllegalsAllowed's Avatar
    Let's hope she's deported for good. Unfortunately, the open borders crowd has money and lawyers.
    Free Ramos and Compean NOW!

i hear this on the top of the hour network news on the radio
    elvira has already been deported back to mexico but just to tijuana

I just heard the same thing on FOX news James, said she was already on her way back to Mexico. HUMMM wonder how long it will take for her to get back across the border
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

I am so happy this took place in our sanctuary city. I will bet the Mayor is mad.
    <div align="center">" Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore "
    </div>

I just heard the same thing on FOX news James, said she was already on her way back to Mexico.

1 down 11,999,999 to go.
    ( STOP ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT EMPLOYMENT - BOYCOTT FIELDALE FARMS, PILGRIMS PRIDE & TYSON POULTRY )

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast