Like Tree4Likes

Thread: For Bronx Man Facing Deportation, a Grace Period Nears Its End

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

For Bronx Man Facing Deportation, a Grace Period Nears Its End

For Bronx Man Facing Deportation, a Grace Period Nears Its End

MARCH 21, 2017

Juan Vivares, 29, an electrician in the Bronx, was detained after meeting with immigration agents on Tuesday.
    Credit Kevin Hagen for The New York Times

An undocumented immigrant from the Bronx who was featured in a recent New York Times article about people with old deportation orders was detained Tuesday after meeting with immigration agents in downtown Manhattan, his lawyer said.

It was the latest of several cases in which the government detained an undocumented immigrant who had been ordered deported but, under the Obama administration, allowed to stay in the United States.

The Times article on the subject this month featured Juan Vivares, 29, a Colombian electrician who was caught crossing the southern border into the United States illegally in 2011 and was ordered deported after losing his bid for asylum. He said he had come to the United States to escape paramilitary forces in Medellín who had tried to kill him over his political work for a mayoral candidate.

Mr. Vivares’s lawyer, Rebecca Press, has asked immigration agents to delay his deportation for family reasons, explaining that he is needed to care for the baby he has with his wife, Yahaira Burgos, an American citizen who works overnight shifts as a doorwoman at an apartment building on the Upper East Side. But his previous appeals for leniency have failed.

Members of Ms. Burgos’s union rallied Tuesday afternoon outside the offices of Immigration and Customs Enforcement, known as ICE, joining her in asking for Mr. Vivares’s release. Ms. Burgos said the immigration agent who detained Mr. Vivares on Tuesday “didn’t allow for us to explain our case — she didn’t allow us to talk and inform her how we pay taxes, what kind of person Juan is.”

Mr. Vivares is one of nearly a million people living in the United States illegally whom immigration judges have ordered deported, but who have been able to remain in the country for various reasons.

Some have been ordered deported without their knowledge after they missed hearings, in many cases because the notice of the hearing was sent to an outdated address. Some have deliberately evaded immigration officials, or agents simply lost track of them while their cases wound through the courts. Some come from countries that do not accept deportees from the United States, and so they cannot be sent back.

And in many cases, Immigration and Customs Enforcement delayed their deportations for humanitarian reasons or because they were not considered priorities under a set of guidelines released by the Obama administration in 2014. Under those guidelines, immigration agents were to prioritize deporting immigrants with serious criminal records, those who posed a threat to national security and those who had entered the country recently.

President Trump has criticized his predecessor for lax enforcement of immigration laws, and since Mr. Trump took office, ICE has begun targeting people it might have granted deportation delays in the past.

Rachael Yong Yow, a spokeswoman for the agency’s New York office, said Mr. Vivares had “exhausted all administrative options and has received a final order of removal from an immigration judge.”

“He is currently in ICE custody pending removal from the United States,” she said.

Mr. Vivares was first ordered deported in 2013 and lost the final appeal of his case in November. He was ordered to report for deportation on Tuesday, and though he considered defying the order, which would have made him a fugitive, he decided to show up.

“I would feel like an animal if I stay here and hide,” he said several weeks ago. “I want to prove that I can follow the laws. I want to make my case at this meeting, but I know that if I go, they’re going to deport me.”

Correction: March 21, 2017

Because of an editing error, an earlier version of this article misidentified the group that rallied on Juan Vivares’s behalf on Tuesday. It was his wife’s union, not his union.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/21/u...-deported.html

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty
    by joining our E-mail Alerts athttp://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Ms. Burgos said the immigration agent who detained Mr. Vivares on Tuesday “didn’t allow for us to explain our case — she didn’t allow us to talk and inform her how we pay taxes, what kind of person Juan is.”
    We don't want his "taxes", we want his job back. Now what you should do is pack up the baby and go with him to Colombia. Colombia is a beautiful country, delicious food, ocean, nice place. Anthony Bourdain did a show there. Great people! Go with him, you'll love it and your baby can grow up in South America which is truly beautiful!
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I am sure they need electricians in Columbia...go open your own business there and train people the trade.

Take your family with you. Sell out, pack up and get out.
    ILLEGAL ALIENS HAVE "BROKEN" OUR IMMIGRATION SYSTEM

DO NOT REWARD THEM - DEPORT THEM ALL