Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bush opposes English as national language: Gonzales

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060519/pl_ ... zales_dc_1

Bush opposes English as national language: Gonzales By Dan Whitcomb
    1 hour, 29 minutes ago

President George W. Bush has long opposed making English the country's national language, Attorney General Alberto Gonzales said on Friday, the day after the Senate voted to do so.

The vote came in an amendment to proposed legislation overhauling U.S. immigration law and directed the government to "preserve and enhance" the role of English. Opponents said it could affect the status of some multilingual services offered by government organizations.

Adding to the confusion, the Senate also adopted a softer amendment calling English the "unifying language" of the United States. Senators take both versions into negotiations over a final bill with the U.S. House of Representatives.

Gonzales did not directly address Bush's position on the controversial amendment because the Senate has not yet voted on the whole bill. But he said that Bush has in the past rejected such efforts.

"The president has never supported making English the national language," Gonzales said after meeting with state and local officials in Texas to discuss cooperation on enforcement of immigration laws.

He said Bush has instead long supported a concept called "English-Plus," believing that it was good to be proficient in more than one language.

"English represents freedom in our country and anybody who wants to be successful in our country has a much better chance of doing so if they speak English," Gonzales said. "It is of course a common language."

But, Gonzales said, "I don't see the need to have laws or legislation that says English is the national language."

While visiting Arizona on Thursday to press his plan to send up to 6,000 National Guard troops to the Mexican border spoke of the need to unite Americans.

"We've got to honor the great American tradition of the melting pot," Bush said. "Americans are bound together by shared ideals and appreciation of our history, of respect for our flag and ability to speak the English language."

Intervening in a recent furor over a Spanish-language version of the national anthem released by Latin pop stars, Bush said that the "Star-Spangled Banner" should be sung in English.

The United States currently has no official language and the amendment was showing signs of further inflaming an already incendiary issue, with Senate Democratic leader Harry Reid of Nevada calling it "racist."
    Equal rights for all, special privileges for none. Thomas Jefferson

Impeach Him!!!!
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Bush speaks out of both sides of his mouth.

Yes, impeach him. And I have a question:

All those senators who voted for illegal's rights, regardless of them working as felons with stolen I.D.s and forged documents ..... are they not aiding and abetting? Isn't that akin to crime? If not an actual crime? Are they not then eligible to be impeached? They are in an official public postion!

The way I understand it, any elected official who comits a crime, can be impeached also.

Question is: Could there be a class action group of impeachments? And who would do it?

Bush has a serious attitude problem that needs to be delt with. [MOD EDIT] That would make my life. That would be better than a hot dog and apple pie!

AGAG or Conseula Callahan.

One of them is going to be an Associate Justice on the SCOTUS if this crap keeps up.
    Reporting without fear or favor-American Rattlesnake

Sure bush opposes English as the National Language, he's still has no command of it!! What would you expect???
    <div>Thank you Governor Brewer!</div>

Amazingly ironic that it's a Hispanic American citizen who has decided to take our so-called president to task on this issue.

Kudos to Attorney General Alberto Gonzales!

There is a real battle raging at FR right now on this issue. The Bots can not keep up with the upset conservatives at this point and the mods just can not ban people fast enough. I have never seen so many "Bush bashing" posts on FR!
    Dane is back (as I predicted) and a new (to me) bot named Zook is trying hard to stem the flood of true conservatives. This Zook character is said to be a professor at Penn state which makes it hard to believe that he/she is truly a conservative. Zook is resorting to name calling and race baiting just like all the other bots. Uncanny huh?

Oh, I just caught this one.

THIS IS BIG NEWS!

The polling data is strongest on "Do you feel English should be America's national language?"

The usual readings we get of around 80% support on most immigration enforcement polls jumps to 90+% on this question!

This is where we need to take the debate. This is the ground we need to draw our enemies further out on.

Oh, I am smiling ear to ear.

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

This show at Free Republic is too fun not to watch!

Rah! Let the mods and Robinson have it! Go Americans at FR!

Rise! Rise! Rise! All eyes should now be open!

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1635152/posts
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast