Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

CA-State Committee Passes New Version of DREAM Act

State Committee Passes New Version of DREAM Act:

By Courtney Moulds

Daily Cal Staff Writer

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Category: News > University > Higher Education

Though former Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger vetoed the California DREAM Act three times, a state assembly committee voted Tuesday to pass a new version of the legislation, which will now be reviewed by another committee before potentially being introduced to the entire Assembly.

The Assembly Committee on Higher Education passed Assembly Bills 130 and 131 - authored by Assemblymember Gilbert Cedillo, D-Los Angeles - in a 6-2 and 5-2 vote respectively. If enacted into law, the bills would expand institutional and state financial aid to undocumented students in California respectively.

Only Assemblymembers Tim Donnelly, R-Twin Peaks, and Katcho Achadjian, R-San Luis Obispo, voted against the act.

"I believe that this bill undermines the rule of law, and it opens up the treasury to people through no fault of their own, granted, are not supposed to be in this state," Donnelly said at the committee meeting.

Opponents of the act have argued that the act would create an incentive for illegal immigration.

Gov. Jerry Brown has stated that should the legislation come to his desk, he would support it.

Nonresident students that meet certain requirements already qualify for in-state tuition fees by meeting requirements in AB 540, including that students must have attended a California high school for three years and graduate, among other requirements.

However, any of these students that are undocumented cannot receive university or state aid, according to David Alcocer, associate director of student financial support at the UC Office of the President.

Assemblymember Marty Block, D-San Diego, said in an e-mail that he voted in favor of the bills because he believes "it critical that students who reside in the state get educational opportunities so they can contribute to California's economy as productive tax-paying workers."

At the committee meeting, UC Berkeley Chancellor Robert Birgeneau testified on behalf of AB 130.

The overall content of the current act reflects the previous version, however, AB 131 has been edited to ensure that Cal Grants will not be reduced for students that are legal residents, according to Conrado Terrazas, communications deputy for Cedillo.

Alcocer said that he estimated about 75 percent of undocumented students would receive $4 million of financial aid under AB 130, and 50 percent of them would be eligible for Cal Grants up to about $3 million under AB 131.

Additionally, some 500 documented students that are eligible under AB 540 would benefit if the bills were to pass. Some students that do not meet state residency requirements and are considered out-of-state students, though they attended high school in California, would be eligible for Cal Grants.

"We've already invested in our children in our K-12 system," said Adam Keigwin, chief of staff for Sen. Leland Yee, D-San Francisco/San Mateo, who co-authored the bills. "To shut the door on their ability to go to college after that investment doesn't serve our state well, doesn't serve our communities well."

Both bills will be reviewed by the Assembly Committee on Appropriations in May, though a final date has not yet been set, according to Terrazas.

Contact Courtney Moulds at cmoulds@dailycal.org.

http://www.dailycal.org/article/112437/ ... _dream_act
    When you aid and support criminals, you live a criminal life style yourself:

Though former Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger vetoed the California DREAM Act three times, a state assembly committee voted Tuesday to pass a new version of the legislation, which will now be reviewed by another committee before potentially being introduced to the entire Assembly.
    I think some people in this Country need to seek mental health advice, because there is to much encouragements to have illegal aliens to invade the U.S. even more, by watering down our Country immigration laws.

Simply a complete nightmare for citizens and the U.S.

Banned
    Its to be expected that we would hear that from California. There are a few states we need to realize that they will be the last to fall to the wave of tighter immigration laws. Still their time will come and the illegals WILL go.

April
    Quote Originally Posted by BillCunnane
    Its to be expected that we would hear that from California. There are a few states we need to realize that they will be the last to fall to the wave of tighter immigration laws. Still their time will come and the illegals WILL go.
    A good thought to hold... their time will come and the illegals WILL GO!!!

Glorious San Diego, and I intend on keeping it that way!!!

Re: State Committee Passes New Version of DREAM Act

[quote="Pisces_2010"]State Committee Passes New Version of DREAM Act:

Shouldn't it be voted on by the LEGAL citizens in California ?? The ones who will have their tax dollars RAPED to pay for this discusting bill? Make the (mod edit IB) State Committee pay for their education out of their OWN pockets, NOT MINE! I AM UNDER OBLIGATION TO PAY FOR MY OWN UNITED STATES CITIZEN CHILDREN'S EDUCATION AND NOT FOR ILLEGAL INVADERS ANCHORS!!!!!!!!!!!!
    <div>"Diversified"*does NOT*mean invading*our Country and forcing their culture and language,**stealing jobs,*using fake ID',s, living on government benefits, and flying their flag over ours! </div>

Re: State Committee Passes New Version of DREAM Act

Quote Originally Posted by FreeRideIsOver
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisces_2010
    State Committee Passes New Version of DREAM Act:

Shouldn't it be voted on by the LEGAL citizens in California ?? The ones who will have their tax dollars RAPED to pay for this discusting bill? Make the (mod edit IB) State Committee pay for their education out of their OWN pockets, NOT MINE! I AM UNDER OBLIGATION TO PAY FOR MY OWN UNITED STATES CITIZEN CHILDREN'S EDUCATION AND NOT FOR ILLEGAL INVADERS ANCHORS!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I agree 100%

Isn't this the same guy that they call one bill Gil? I believe he got the name from submitting a bill every year to give illegals driver's licenses. My memory isn't what it used to be, so forgive me if I'm wrong.

I never liked Arnold much (as a Gov.), however, he did protect California residents from some illegal alien favorable bills.

Assemblymember Marty Block, D-San Diego, said in an e-mail that he voted in favor of the bills because he believes "it critical that students who reside in the state get educational opportunities so they can contribute to California's economy as productive tax-paying workers."
    You mean you'd rather use state tax dollars to aid, abet and harbor certain illegal aliens to go to college so you can deny certain American citizens their opportunity to go to college? Well, gee, I wonder which certain Americans it is you hate enough to deny them a seat in college because you filled the spots with illegal aliens?

That's deep hate, Marty. That's deeper hate than any seen since Jim Crow.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

When will this nightmare end?

[quote="Mickey"]Isn't this the same guy that they call one bill Gil? I believe he got the name from submitting a bill every year to give illegals driver's licenses. My memory isn't what it used to be, so forgive me if I'm wrong. /quote]

you are correct, except now i think its two bill gil since this is his bill, too

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast