Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Quote Originally Posted by Bowman
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnDoe2
    Huckabee vows to defy birthright citizenship
    Wasn't this all made up by Gilchrist and Huckabee personally never supported it?
    Ooops. I just found this:
    ----------------------------------

Huckabee retreats on birthright citizenship

Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Mike Huckabee yesterday contradicted his own top immigration surrogate, announcing he will not support a constitutional amendment to end birthright citizenship for children born in the United States to illegal aliens.

It was a stark reversal after The Washington Times reported that James Gilchrist, founder of the Minuteman Project, said Mr. Huckabee promised to pursue an amendment to the Constitution. In an article in yesterday's editions, Mr. Huckabee's spokeswoman did not challenge the former Arkansas governor's statements to Mr. Gilchrist and said the two men shared the same goals on immigration.

But by yesterday afternoon, Mr. Huckabee had backed away from that position.

"I do not support an amendment to the Constitution that would prevent children born in the U.S. to illegal aliens from automatically becoming American citizens. I have no intention of supporting a constitutional amendment to deny birthright citizenship," Mr. Huckabee said in a statement posted on his campaign Web site.

The Times reported that Mr. Gilchrist, in a half-hour conversation while campaigning with Mr. Huckabee last week in Iowa, pinned down the Republican presidential candidate on various immigration stances, including how he would address what most legal scholars see as the 14th Amendment's guarantee of citizenship to any person born in the United States, except for diplomatic situations.

Mr. Gilchrist said Mr. Huckabee promised to bring a test case to the Supreme Court to challenge the matter, and also would press Congress to pass an amendment to the Constitution.

In an interview with CNN, the candidate said his campaign was not contacted about the story: "It was disappointing the reporter who filed the report never bothered to contact our campaign," he said.

But Mr. Huckabee's spokeswoman, Kirsten Fedewa, did talk to The Times for the article. She did not challenge any of Mr. Gilchrist's statements at the time, and was quoted as saying Mr. Huckabee and Mr. Gilchrist were "united by a mutual desire to end illegal immigration and are political allies toward that end."

In a statement to The Times yesterday evening, Mr. Huckabee acknowledged his campaign was asked about the story.

"I was asked to respond to questions by The Washington Times about my position regarding presidential pardons for imprisoned U.S. Border Patrol agents Ignacio Ramos and Jose Compean and about personal e-mail correspondence by one of my supporters," Mr. Huckabee said. "We responded to those questions.

"If the Supreme Court chooses to review lower-court decisions regarding the 14th Amendment, that is their prerogative, but my priorities for constitutional amendments are to protect human life and traditional marriage," he said in the statement.

Mr. Huckabee also said on CNN that he hasn't given much thought to the issue of birthright citizenship. But he previously had taken a position in an interview with The Times on his campaign bus in Iowa in August.

"I would support changing that. I think there is reason to revisit that, just because a person, through sheer chance of geography, happened to be physically here at the point of birth, doesn't necessarily constitute citizenship," he said at the time, according to the audiotape of the interview. "I think that's a very reasonable thing to do, to revisit that."

Mr. Gilchrist did not respond to repeated phone calls and e-mails yesterday asking about the discrepancy, but in a 42-minute telephone call Sunday he told The Times that Mr. Huckabee promised him these things in their half-hour private conversation.

"I read back my notes to him twice and I told him I did not want to put words in his mouth," he said. "The guy looked me right in the eye."

Mr. Gilchrist issued a press release from the Minuteman Project laying out Mr. Huckabee's positions. That release was provided to the Huckabee campaign.

Yesterday, Mr. Gilchrist's Web site, www.jimgilchrist.com, still included a photo from his meeting with Mr. Huckabee in Iowa, and still said Mr. Huckabee promised to pursue a Supreme Court decision and a constitutional amendment.

Rep. Ron Paul, the libertarian-leaning Republican candidate, has introduced a constitutional amendment to end birthright citizenship.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/200 ... tizenship/
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Like I said Gilchrist made it up. For Gilchrist that's par for the course.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Trying to amend the Federal Constitution is almost impossible. In this case it's not even necessary. Congress has the authority to define what the words "and subject to the jurisdiction thereof" means. Congress could pass a law that bars anyone born in the U S or outside the U S who has one parent who is in the U S illegally at the time of birth or has ever been in the U S illegally as not being subject to the jurisdiction of the Federal government for the purpose of citizenship. That's all it would take. No more anchor babies.

This info is getting some coverage:

Taxpayer Revolution - Sponsoring California Taxpayer Protection ... - 12/31/08CALIFORNIA TAXPAYER PROTECTION ACT Sponsored by Taxpayer Revolution. The Initiative’s Laws Will:. REQUIRE issuance of the official "CALIFORNIA BIRTH ...
    www.taxpayerrevolution.org/ - 12k - Cached - Similar pages -

California Taxpayer Protection Act (2008) - BallotpediaThe Taxpayer Protection Act is a initiated state statute that would strengthen existing California laws that prohibit the use of taxpayer dollars for ...
    ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.php?title=California_Taxpayer_Protection_Act _(2008) - 29k - Cached - Similar pages -

Numbers USA- California Taxpayer Protection Act - Say Anything ...Jan 1, 2009 ... The initiative—The California Taxpayer Protection Act—is being planned for the June 2010 California ballot. This may seem like a distant ...
    sayanythingblog.com/readers/entry/numbers_usa_california_taxpayer_protection_act/ - 55k - Cached - Similar pages -

California Taxpayer Protection Act - SignOnSanDiego Forums - Jan 1Dec 30, 2008 ... Discussion forums for the San Diego Chargers, San Diego Padres and San Diego County news and other issues.
    forums.signonsandiego.com/showthread.php?t=91673&referrerid=17420 - 45k - Cached - Similar pages -

CALIFORNIA TAXPAYER PROTECTION ACT - Wall Street SurvivorDec 31, 2008 ... CALIFORNIA TAXPAYER PROTECTION ACT ... TAXPAYER REVOLUTION c/o Treasurer P.O. BOX 9985. SAN DIEGO, CA 92169. State Committee ID no. 1297837 ...
    www.wallstreetsurvivor.com/CS/Forums/t/23658.aspx - 40k - Cached - Similar pages -

CALIFORNIA TAXPAYER PROTECTION ACT - TopixREQUIRE issuance of the official "CALIFORNIA BIRTH CERTIFICATEâ€
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I hope that ALIPAC will endorse this California Taxpayers Protection Act.

Most of the American CITIZENS in California want to solve the illegal alien problem in the state and in the nation.
    NO AMNESTY

I can't imagine why we'd have to amend the Constitution. We need to end the insane liberal interpretation.

You come upon a Mexican woman about to give birth laying on the border. So you hurriedly swing her feet to the south. Now her child is Mexican. However at the moment of birth the woman swings her feet around to face north. Now her child is an American citizen? Does anybody really think the Founders held citizenship so lightly?

Stop the madness
    Unemployment is not working. Deport illegal alien workers now! Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by loservillelabor
    I can't imagine why we'd have to amend the Constitution. We need to end the insane liberal interpretation.
    You are correct an amendment is not required, Section 5 of the 14th Amendment states that Congress can pass laws as needed to enforce the Amendment. Congress in the past has done this for example in 1924 to give US Citizenship to American Indians born on Reservations, previously they only had Tribal Citizenship.

If this initiative passes for sure MALDEF and the ACLU will sue to stop it and it will go to the Supreme Court. I just wonder if the Supremes will hear it.

Also since CA is so heavily invaded and nutty it might not pass. It would be good if another state like AZ or Miss that has laws against illegals working passed a similar initiative to test the concept of no state citizenship for illegal babies.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

RELATED

RELATED

400,000 anchor babies born in U.S. each year

http://www.alipac.us/ftopicp-881484.html#881484
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

RELATED

CA. Initiative to target illegal immigrants, their children

http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-152929.html
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

RELATED

Illegal migrants' children targeted

Group's initiative would limit rights of the kids of undocumented residents.

http://www.fresnobee.com/local/story/1324374.html
    NO AMNESTY

"I pledge to oppose amnesty or any other special path to citizenship for the millions of foreign nationals unlawfully present in the United States. As President, I will fully implement enforcement measures that, over time, will lead to the attrition of our illegal immigrant population. I also pledge to make security of our borders a top priority of my administration."
    Why didnt Mike Huckabee say all this during the campaign? IMO he would have won the election if he did.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by butterbean
    "I pledge to oppose amnesty or any other special path to citizenship for the millions of foreign nationals unlawfully present in the United States. As President, I will fully implement enforcement measures that, over time, will lead to the attrition of our illegal immigrant population. I also pledge to make security of our borders a top priority of my administration."
    Why didnt Mike Huckabee say all this during the campaign? IMO he would have won the election if he did. :?
    He did.

Huckabee has placed this pledge on his blog on his campaign website

January 17, 2008 - 11:38 PM

by Mike Huckabee

Yesterday, I signed the following pledge:

Important points:

1. The 12 to 20 million illegal immigrants now here will have to go home.

2. They will not get any legal status while here that allows them to remain long-term.

3. Once in their home countries, they may apply for re-admittance to the U.S. as immigrants, visitors or temporary workers through normal channels.

4. Once in their home countries, they will not receive any special privileges on the basis of their having been in the U.S. illegally, such as being put to the front of a visa line.

5. There will be no new categories or programs through which they may re-enter the U.S.

6. There will not be an expansion of green cards in any existing categories that will speed up their movement to the front of the line.

(The Governor agreed to this pledge made to the American people with his public signing before the national media on Jan. 16, 2008 at North Greenville University, South Carolina.)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    NumbersUSA Statement about Governor Huckabee Signing 'No Amnesty ...Jan 16, 2008 ... Governor Huckabee signs 'No-Amnesty' pledge as Roy Beck watches. ... Governor Huckabee understands his pledge to mean that: ...
    www.numbersusa.com/hottopic/huckabeepledge011608.html - 17k - Cached - Similar pages
    NO AMNESTY

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast