Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Yeah..I wondered when I signed my company up in 2007 for E-verify why they specifically did not allow checks on any current employees. I could only assume they did not want employers finding a huge percentage were illegally employed. The tools are there but the policies are not. You can only check new hires from the date you are approved for E-verify but not current employees.
    "Where is our democracy if the federal government can break the laws written and enacted by our congress on behalf of the people?"

Quote Originally Posted by PatriotAZGUY
    Yeah..I wondered when I signed my company up in 2007 for E-verify why they specifically did not allow checks on any current employees. I could only assume they did not want employers finding a huge percentage were illegally employed. The tools are there but the policies are not. You can only check new hires from the date you are approved for E-verify but not current employees.
    Why that's just not right! This should be changed.

Jail guard's arrest leads to checks on work status
    © 2010 The Associated Press
    July 13, 2010, 12:44PM

DALLAS — Maria Elvia Ross was a Dallas County jail guard assigned to the sheriff department's respected quality assurance team, considered an elite unit within the jails. She also, allegedly, is an illegal immigrant.

Now Ross faces deportation and Dallas County officials say they are writing new policies to make sure there are periodic checks of the legal status of non-U.S. citizens working as jailers and deputies for the sheriff's department.

The policy change is in response to Ross' arrest Friday. The 34-year-old Irving resident was arrested by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement officers on civil immigration violations. She was released the same day. A court hearing has not been scheduled.

No one answered the door at her home Tuesday, and The Associated Press could not find a current phone number.

Ross was deported from the United States in 1998, ICE spokesman Carl Rusnok said Tuesday.

But by 2001, Ross had a temporary work permit and was hired by the county, said Mattye Mauldin-Taylor, Dallas County's human resources director. That was two years before a rule took effect requiring deputies and jail guards to be U.S. citizens, according to a story Tuesday in The Dallas Morning News.

Ross provided the sheriff's department with documents showing she was eligible to work in the United States each year until 2005. No one checked for additional documentation in subsequent years, Mauldin-Taylor said.

"There's not really any follow-up once they produce the documentation" when applying for a job, Mauldin-Taylor said.

Ross' immigration status was discovered recently when she underwent a background check after applying to become a deputy sheriff, County Commissioner John Wiley Price said.

The county's human resources department is creating a rule to check the work eligibility of non-U.S. citizens every year, Mauldin-Taylor told the newspaper. Frequent work-eligibility checks now will be required by the sheriff's department as well, department spokeswoman Kim Leach said.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/tx/7106225.html
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

"She was released the same day..."
    Not within the hour?

That's probably ONE OF hundreds if not thousands around the country.
    Most of the time they only get caught if someone turns them in multiple times. It would be interesting to learn how many illegals are actually receiving retirement benefits, 401K, etc. LOL.
    What a joke but hey, they're a protected class, are they not?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12