Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Well it's still ridiculous that Elvira put on a huge media circus show and suffered no penalties, just deportation. This guy seems to be getting the brunt of everything, she got off pretty easy comparatively.
    The John McCain Call Center
    [img]http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/815000/images/_818096_foxphone150.jpg[/]

Quote Originally Posted by Ex_OC
    Quote Originally Posted by loservillelabor
    I PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TO THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA......but I'm hoping we can keep the costs in line.
    Me too.
    Allegiance to your Country means that everything up to and including your life is forfeit in Her defense. Giving anything and everything less than your life is a bargain and should make you glad. Foreign flags are flying on our soil.
    Unemployment is not working. Deport illegal alien workers now! Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Assuming the $5.50/hr over an 11 year period is accurate, he earned a total of $125,840 (assuming 40 hr/wk). Since he paid no taxes on the money earned, and saved $59,000, he was left with $66,840 to live off for 11 years. He would have approximately $6,076 per year as disposable income, or approx. $506 per month. I will also assume he was sending money home to help his family.

It would require being more than frugal to pay rent, buy food, etc. with only $506 per month. However, if he lived in subsidized housing, received food stamps and free medical care, or lived with 10 or 15 other "immigrants" it could be done.

At the risk of sounding callous, I say deport him without the $59,000. If we excuse his tax evasion, we set a precedent for others to follow suit with impunity.

He and other illegal aliens are quite adept at circumventing our laws, and I simply don't believe we should encourage or reward illegal behavior. They have grown accustomed to our kind hearts and generosity, and have responded with brazen marches and boycotts, arrogance and a sense of entitlement.

If you feed a stray cat once, expect to continue indefinitely. I simply think we must begin to seriously enforce our laws.

Also, I'm not sure what he owes in back taxes, but 11 years of accrued interest plus penalties would have to be substantial.

Yes, FedupDeb. Plus, remember that in many other areas of law enforcement and, especially in areas related to drug crimes, forfeiture is a VERY common mechanism used to shut down serial law breakers. It is common for drug dealers and even buyers/solicitor - in my area - to 'lose' one's car when nabbed in a sale sting or the like. The vehicles then are either 'subsumed' by the local PDs (Police Depts.) for use in undercover operations, or other things, and those which aren't used get auctioned and the proceeds to go help fund the PD. While many legitimately argue that such practice can go out of control, the practice is widespread and common. And, the IRS regularly hammers US citizens that are found to engage in tax evasion. Why should this guy have an exception to those rules? If granted one, then the laws/rules become meaningless.

The simple question is: Why should this guy not have to forfeit what he gained illegally?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by PhredE
    Yes, FedupDeb. Plus, remember that in many other areas of law enforcement and, especially in areas related to drug crimes, forfeiture is a VERY common mechanism used to shut down serial law breakers. It is common for drug dealers and even buyers/solicitor - in my area - to 'lose' one's car when nabbed in a sale sting or the like. The vehicles then are either 'subsumed' by the local PDs (Police Depts.) for use in undercover operations, or other things, and those which aren't used get auctioned and the proceeds to go help fund the PD. While many legitimately argue that such practice can go out of control, the practice is widespread and common. And, the IRS regularly hammers US citizens that are found to engage in tax evasion. Why should this guy have an exception to those rules? If granted one, then the laws/rules become meaningless.

The simple question is: Why should this guy not have to forfeit what he gained illegally?
    This illegal alien debacle has the whole world laughing at us.

Bingo! Exactly.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Senior Member NoIllegalsAllowed's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasCowgirl
    Am I alone in thinking that we should give him the money minus taxes?
    If we give him the money we have allowed him to work illegally in the US. Make an example out of him.

If we don't he's going to go home rich and continue the idea that it's ok to illegally work in the US.

Do we return drug money? Of course not. How is this any different?
    Free Ramos and Compean NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by NoIllegalsAllowed
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasCowgirl
    Am I alone in thinking that we should give him the money minus taxes?
    If we give him the money we have allowed him to work illegally in the US. Make an example out of him.

If we don't he's going to go home rich and continue the idea that it's ok to illegally work in the US.

Do we return drug money? Of course not. How is this any different?
    I understand your point. However, I just take issue with Elvira or Liliana putting themselves in the spotlight and not really having anything happen to them. I constantly read news reports about Elvira living off of donations - where's the IRS on that one?

I'm not doubting he should be punished, and what he did was wrong. I'm not defending him, I just think this penalty is pretty harsh. I don't know his whole predicament, I guess living here illegally is a gamble and sometimes you lose.

Well just so you guys know my husband practically kicked my butt on this one. He pointed out that if this were either of us, and we worked a side job and had $60k in non-taxed money, there would be no pity party for us at the IRS. Nor would Rick Sanchez call the White House, Dept of Justice on my behalf. I'd be in jail.

BTW Rick had a poll on his show "Should English be the official language" and 74% said yes, even though he spews pro-reconquista attitude.

Oh well, TCg, we understand where you're coming from on this one - it's easy to want to compare the public cases of the IAs like Elvira, but, it does all come back to 'illegal is illegal' and laws must apply to everybody.

I do agree with the hubbie though - the IRS would pursue you and me with no mercy. The guy should have taken the 'buy out' deal being able to leave the country with 20k and head home. But no, in his 'entitlement think', he erroneously thinks that he should be allowed to keep his 59k booty; notwithstanding he entered illegally, worked illegally, never paid (any?) taxes, etc. Things for you and me would probably have been much worse.

PS. Whenever I happen to be tuned in to CNN and Rick Sanchez appears, I turn the channel. CNN, are you tuned in here?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast