Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Ex-Immigration Lawyer Sentenced in North Carolina

http://www.wxii12.com/news/4251851/detail.html

Ex-Immigration Lawyer Sentenced
    Woman Admits To Arranging Sham Marriage For Client
    POSTED: 5:33 pm EST March 3, 2005
    UPDATED: 6:01 pm EST March 3, 2005

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. -- A Greensboro lawyer once nationally recognized for her pro bono work with immigrants was sentenced Thursday to a year and a day in federal prison for breaking the law for immigrant clients.

Judge James Beaty sentenced Manlin Chee in U.S. District Court in Winston-Salem.

Chee pleaded guilty Nov. 23 to defrauding the United States by submitting false paperwork on behalf of immigrant clients.

She admitted to arranging a sham marriage so one client could remain in the country and falsely portraying another in legal documents as a homosexual who would face persecution if sent back to Egypt. Both clients were undercover government informants.

Supporter Tim Hopkins said Chee was only guilty of helping people to a fault.

Prosecutors argued that Chee not only submitted false paperwork, but also lied to an Immigration and Naturalization Service official during a secretly taped meeting in Charlotte.
    "This country has lost control of its borders. And no country can sustain that kind of position." .... Ronald Reagan

Ex-Immigration Lawyer Sentenced in North Carolina

http://www.wxii12.com/news/4251851/detail.html

Ex-Immigration Lawyer Sentenced
    Woman Admits To Arranging Sham Marriage For Client
    POSTED: 5:33 pm EST March 3, 2005
    UPDATED: 6:01 pm EST March 3, 2005

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. -- A Greensboro lawyer once nationally recognized for her pro bono work with immigrants was sentenced Thursday to a year and a day in federal prison for breaking the law for immigrant clients.

Judge James Beaty sentenced Manlin Chee in U.S. District Court in Winston-Salem.

Chee pleaded guilty Nov. 23 to defrauding the United States by submitting false paperwork on behalf of immigrant clients.

She admitted to arranging a sham marriage so one client could remain in the country and falsely portraying another in legal documents as a homosexual who would face persecution if sent back to Egypt. Both clients were undercover government informants.

Supporter Tim Hopkins said Chee was only guilty of helping people to a fault.

Prosecutors argued that Chee not only submitted false paperwork, but also lied to an Immigration and Naturalization Service official during a secretly taped meeting in Charlotte.
    "This country has lost control of its borders. And no country can sustain that kind of position." .... Ronald Reagan

Since she only got 1 year and a day, she'll be out in about 8 months. Guess if I committed fraud and lied in court, I'd probably do hard time. Hopefully they disbarred her, but yet I doubt it. No wonder they have so many lawyer jokes....she's a real riot.

Since she only got 1 year and a day, she'll be out in about 8 months. Guess if I committed fraud and lied in court, I'd probably do hard time. Hopefully they disbarred her, but yet I doubt it. No wonder they have so many lawyer jokes....she's a real riot.

Quote Originally Posted by Daylights
    Here's one .... a crying shame is a busload of attorneys going over a cliff with one seat empty.

Here's another .... what do catfish and attorneys have in common? ... why, that's easy! - they're both bottom-dwelling scumsuckers!

Quote Originally Posted by Daylights
    Here's one .... a crying shame is a busload of attorneys going over a cliff with one seat empty.

Here's another .... what do catfish and attorneys have in common? ... why, that's easy! - they're both bottom-dwelling scumsuckers!

Here:

It was so cold last winter that I saw a lawyer with his hands in his own pockets.

Why are lawyers so good at racketball?
    Because they stoop so low.

Here:

It was so cold last winter that I saw a lawyer with his hands in his own pockets.

Why are lawyers so good at racketball?
    Because they stoop so low.

heheh Daylights this goes beyond a harmless lawyer joke. In my view, gaming and weakening the system and resorting to fraud are even greater crimes when done for foreign clients. The odd thing is, so many in immigration law feel justified in what they are doing. There are even judges in the system who deem honest immigration lawyers as not being "zealous" enough advocates for the illegal aliens they represent, and will do the lawyers job prompting the alien for testimony/evidence that can be stuffed into one or other statutory provision open to abuse in order to "save" them.

We are really up against marxists, man

heheh Daylights this goes beyond a harmless lawyer joke. In my view, gaming and weakening the system and resorting to fraud are even greater crimes when done for foreign clients. The odd thing is, so many in immigration law feel justified in what they are doing. There are even judges in the system who deem honest immigration lawyers as not being "zealous" enough advocates for the illegal aliens they represent, and will do the lawyers job prompting the alien for testimony/evidence that can be stuffed into one or other statutory provision open to abuse in order to "save" them.

We are really up against marxists, man

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast