Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

LAPD chief defends comments on MacArthur Park melee

Last modified Wednesday, May 23, 2007 7:16 PM PDT

LAPD chief defends comments on MacArthur Park melee

By: Associated Press -

LOS ANGELES -- In a videotaped message to his officers, police Chief William Bratton defended his straightforward comments after the May Day melee in MacArthur Park.

Officers and their union leadership were unhappy with Bratton's comments after the immigrant rights protest, particularly the chief's statement to reporters that officers can "go out of control faster than any human being in the world."

In his videotaped message to officers, Bratton noted he is the one who will be ultimately held accountable "for events in MacArthur Park." A transcript of the chief's message was obtained by the Los Angeles Times.

Police using batons and rubber bullets swept through MacArthur Park on May 1 to disperse demonstrators after agitators began throwing things at the officers. Dozens of people were hurt, including officers and members of the news media.

Bratton said in his message to officers that he would "not make excuses for some of the comments I have made. However, you deserve to know my thought process and intentions."

Besides his officers, the chief said he must consider the concerns of the mayor, the Police Commission, the news media and the public.

"As you should know by now, my style is to be straightforward and speak candidly as I tell your story," Bratton said. "Give me a good story to tell, and I will tell it. Give me something else, and, unfortunately, I will have to tell it like it is."

The taped images of officers using force were "very disturbing" and "there is no doubt that this incident has set our department back," Bratton said.

"It will serve no purpose to not recognize and acknowledge that there were some problems with some prior planning, leadership, command and control, tactics and force used that day," Bratton said.

Bratton's message was expected to be shown at police roll call meetings.

"I don't think it's going to satisfy the officers," police officers union president Bob Baker said.

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/05 ... _23_07.txt
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Right, what does he expect of his officers? I suppose they were to just stand there and let this crowd of people throw rocks and bottles at them, Way to go, that would have solved it let the crowd get way out of control.
    Not defending yourself only makes people more aggresive, just like with bullys!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To everybody out there hanging in the backround yes you!! we invite you to...
    let your voices be heard, Its time to get involved, calls, faxes, and e-mails, post at the link below to let everyone know what you are hearing, it helps our leaders to make decisions on what steps to take next. Lets let congress know what real Americans Want!!

http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... c&p=363412

Check out Operation Bring it Home also and get your home towns involved!!

http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... ic&t=63288

If anyone can't find information for contacting senators or not sure what to do, just ask, someone will help you, We have lots 0f nice people just waiting to help you!!

HINT: EASY WAY TO HELP OUT.....When you post on another site with good patriotic Americans leave behind a Momentous message, the link to ALIPAC ( http://www.alipac.us/index.php ).
    Any donations to help keep ALIPAC afloat will be much appreciated
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Bratton's contract as police chief is up for renewal. Like all spineless, bull shi*ing polital hacks he has to kiss the mayor's ass.
    <div>Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself. Mark Twain</div>

What I would like to hear from Bratton is what exactly he thought the officers' course of action should have been....given the fact that bottles were being thrown at them.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I back the blue!

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)