Dwyer attempts immigrant roundup during hearing
By LIAM FARRELL, Staff Writer
Published March 20, 2008

State government hearings occasionally have ferocious debate and rowdy crowds, but yesterday may have marked a first as a local delegate called in federal law enforcement agents to make arrests.

Del. Don Dwyer, R-Glen Burnie, is known as one of the most conservative members of the General Assembly and is no friend to illegal immigrants. So much so, in fact, he instructed his staff to contact U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials before a hearing in the Department of Legislative Services building.

Many people in the audience were Hispanic and wore buttons that said "License = Safety," a cornerstone slogan for opponents of the legislation that would require someone to prove they are legally in the country before receiving a driver's license. The bill is sponsored by Del. Ron George, R-Arnold.

The opponents believe driver's licenses are less about national security than making sure people can properly operate their vehicles.

Mr. Dwyer, however, was concerned about whether Casa de Maryland, one of the most vocal pro-immigrant groups in the state, would bring undocumented people to the hearing.

"This is a building of law and order," he said. "I think we ought to maintain it."

ICE agents declined to come to the hearing because they cannot inquire about someone's immigration status unless they see a law being broken, according to Mr. Dwyer's staff.

A message from The Capital left with the ICE office in Washington, D.C., was not returned.

Casa de Maryland provides services to immigrants regardless of their status, and representatives at past rallies have refused to say whether their supporters were in the country legally.

During the hearing, Mr. Dwyer announced to the audience he had contacted federal authorities.

Kim Propeack, the director of community organizing at Casa de Maryland, denounced the delegate's actions and wondered if he would talk to the Internal Revenue Service before corporations lobby the state for tax breaks.

"I have never seen a delegate … threaten people like that at a hearing," she said. "I think it is a pitiful attempt to chill political speech."

In order to get into a state building, someone only has to pass through a metal detector and show a valid photo ID. Currently, a Maryland ID can be obtained without proving immigration status, the exact issue Mr. George was seeking to correct with the bill.

Mr. Dwyer said he was not trying to stop people from testifying, but he was wondering what rights an illegal immigrant would have before the committee.

"If they are here illegally, I'm not sure they have any rights," he said.

Ms. Propeack acknowledged there could have been undocumented immigrants in the hearing room, but she said it is "just like all of American society," considering the amount of urban, restaurant and housekeeping workers who are illegally in the country.

"Undoubtedly, in any group at any time, you are going to have some undocumented folks," she said.

http://www.hometownannapolis.com/cgi-bi ... _20-12/TOP