Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Mexican and U.S. lawmakers call for deportation moratorium

8:31 PM CST on Thursday, February 8, 2007

New York Times News Service

WASHINGTON -- The United States should stop deporting illegal immigrants and separating families while Congress works on reforming immigration laws, a group of lawmakers from Latin America and several Democratic House members said Thursday.

The foreign delegates from Mexico, Honduras, El Salvador and Nicaragua, on a two-day visit to Capitol Hill, pledged to work with their U.S. counterparts to fix the immigration system, which they said has led to a "family crisis" in Mexico and a staggering loss of life along the border. They also promised to help improve security, which they said was of paramount importance, especially after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

"About 550 Mexicans are dying (each year) in their effort to cross the border -- 1.5 each day, an alarming number," said Jose Edmundo Ramirez Martinez, a member of the Mexican Congress and secretary of the Commission on Population, Borders, and Migration issues, at a Capitol Hill press conference.

In addition, he said that "one Mexican per minute is leaving his family" to go the United States, which disintegrates families and leads to other problems such as alcoholism and drug addiction.

The Mexican lawmakers included representatives from various political parties who said they were united on the immigration issue.

Jose Jacques Medina, a member of the Congress in Mexico who led the delegation, said that the immigration crisis is a human problem that begs a human solution and that the U.S., Mexico and other nations should work together to become "one America on one continent."

The meetings between the U.S. and Latin American lawmakers upset some critics of illegal immigration.

"Millions of people are working in this country illegally and sending home billions of dollars in remittances. Those dollars help to prop up corrupt and incompetent governments," said Rep. Tom Tancredo, R-Colo, an outspoken critic of illegal immigration. "It's not surprising that representatives from those governments would be here lobbying ... to keep the dollars flowing."

Tancredo also criticized some members of the Black and Hispanic Caucuses who met with the foreign lawmakers.

"What is discouraging is the apparent willingness of those two groups to put other countries' interest above our own," he said. Tancredo has called for an end to the Black and Hispanic caucuses because he says they promote "racial exclusivity."

Kurt Bardella, a spokesman for Rep. Brian Bilbray, R-Calif., chairman of the Immigration Reform Caucus, said that Mexican officials should be looking at the problems in their own country that cause so many to leave before criticizing the United States and that a moratorium on deportations will only increase illegal immigration.

He said that there is nothing wrong with lawmakers from Mexico talking to American officials but that they should not "dictate the terms" of U.S. policy.

The U.S. and foreign lawmakers are pushing for a broad immigration law that would give illegal immigrants a path to legal residency and citizenship.

Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee, D-Texas, a strong proponent of such a law, said immigration is a "justice issue."

"We must accept and welcome brothers and sisters who have invested in this country. We must reunite families. We must make moms and sons, one," she said.

Other House members at the press conference included Reps. Gwen Moore, D-Wis., Janice Schakowsky, D-Ill. and Hilda Solis, D-Calif., who spearheaded the meetings with the foreign lawmakers.

Alongside them, the 7-year-old son of an illegal immigrant and community leader in Chicago made a plea to the Bush administration to halt deportation hearings for his mother, Elvira Arellano.

Arellano made national headlines last year when she refused to surrender for deportation and took refuge in a Methodist church.

"I want President Bush to stop deportations so that my mommy and other families get to stay in the United States," said the boy, Saul Arellano.

http://link.toolbot.com/dallasnews.com/60047
    [b]Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.
    - Arnold J. Toynbee

Oh ya........whatever you do......don't enforce the law. God forbid these people are inconvienced in any way.......
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"I want President Bush to stop deportations so that my mommy and other families get to stay in the United States," said the boy, Saul Arellano.

"I am the only kid in my class that speaks english in class my teacher
    only knows a little english." Said my grandson about his school in Spring,
    Texas. What about our kis?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Jose Jacques Medina, a member of the Congress in Mexico who led the delegation, said that the immigration crisis is a human problem that begs a human solution and that the U.S., Mexico and other nations should work together to become "one America on one continent."
    No sorry, we are not interested in your plans for the NAU.

Re: Mexican and U.S. lawmakers call for deportation moratori

the U.S., Mexico and other nations should work together to become "one America on one continent."
    Looks like someone else is pushing for erasing the borders. It’s good to see this little secret of the Bush administration is finally getting out for public airing.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!

Sounds like an adult who tried to use write like a child. Give me a break. He doesnt have to be seprated from his mother. He can live with her when she is deported.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Don't forget that ole Vicente Fox has been touring the United States in the past couple of weeks promoting Amensty.
    http://www.alipac.us/
    You can not be loyal to two nations, without being unfaithful to one. Scubayons 02/07/06

MW
    Mexican and U.S. lawmakers call for deportation moratorium
    Personally, I believe there should be a moratorium against ALL immigration until illegal immigration is stopped and our borders are secured! We allow almost 1 million legal immigrants into the the United States yearly. Combine that 1 million with the 1 million illegals that are coming annually and we have up to 2 million immigrants (legal and illegal) entering our country annually. Folks that's 20 million a decade and 200 million a century. Those numbers don't even figure in the chain migration. Something has to give and unfortunately many of our lawmakers want it to be us!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

We need a list of every Democrat in Congress calling for the deportation moratorium as soon as anyone can get it!

We have some educating to do and we must move quickly.

Please assist.

W

What are countries doing influencing American policies

All those congressmen at the press conference need to be out of office next term. We don't need countries that have corrupt governments and that are run by drug lords telling us that we should not enforce our laws. The American people were promised in 1986 that illegals would be stopped and deported and that businesses would be punished. It also promised that individuals who supported illegals would be punished. Congress and the President needs to keep their word given in 1986.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast