http://www.dailybulletin.com/news/ci_3933127

Article Launched: 6/14/2006 12:00 AM

Minutemen visit students
Group offers debate's other side

By Mark Petix, Staff Writer
Inland Valley Daily Bulletin

CLAREMONT - They've been to the Mexican border. They've witnessed the desperation of men and women hoping to make a new start in America.
Now, 10 Colorado College students have heard from the other side of the immigration issue.

Minuteman Project founder Jim Gilchrist gave his side of the story Tuesday to students taking a three-week immigration course through Claremont Graduate University.

Gilchrist told the group that despite accusations of racism and the negative media attention his border watch group has received, the Minutemen are neither vigilantes nor "Mexican hunters" but citizens concerned that millions of illegal immigrants are draining America's resources.

"We are diverse," he said. "We are a multi-ethnic immigration law enforcement group."

He called enforcement of immigration laws token at best and said he used his background as a journalist to draw attention to the government's lack of action.

He said the group's surveillance trips to the border did just that.

"We launched the Minuteman Project to promote national awareness," he said. "I knew the world's largest dog and pony show would get attention, and it worked perfectly."

In only 14 months, he said, the Minuteman Project became a household name.

Next stop is a visit to the border in Laredo, Texas, which he said will begin Sept. 11 and run through Nov. 7.

"We expect 14,000 volunteers at this one," he said. "It's gonna be huge."

The students are staying at Pitzer College and studying under professors from Claremont Graduate University, Pitzer and Colorado College.

Lead professor Lourdes Arguelles called Tuesday a great opportunity to hear directly from members of the anti-illegal immigration movement.

"You have people talking to each other beyond stereotypes," she said.

Tessa Hicks, a Claremont graduate student who is assisting with the class, said the university is a "safe space" to discuss the volatile issue.

"It's pretty unique," she said. "They've never been invited to any other university."

The Minuteman leader was joined by three of his "Gilchrist's Angels" and Andy Ramirez of Chino-based Friends of the Border Patrol.

Robin Hvidston, of Upland, told students she became a Minutewoman after she was treated rudely at a march backing driver's licenses for illegal immigrants in Ontario.

"I was ordered off my sidewalk so people here illegally could march," she said.

She said she stands proudly with the Minutemen, protesting at day labor centers and calling on local officials to enforce the law.

"And I go to the border and I observe with my cell phone, binoculars and lawn chair," she said.

She said Tuesday's class was a opportunity to bring the group's message to a younger generation.

"We were thrilled to come and talk to the students," she said. "We really want to get students involved with us."

Mark Petix can be reached by telephone at (909) 483-9355 or by e-mail at mark.petix