Quote Originally Posted by Texas2step
"azwreath wrote:
redpony353 wrote:
azwreath wrote:
redpony353 wrote:
azwreath wrote:
You know what would be great?

It would be fantastic if enough American citizens were to go in and start buying up those homes, renting those empty stores, and RECLAIM Postville.......complete with the raising of one HUGE American flag right smack dab in the middle of that town!!

It's times like this when I wish I had the money to get a project like that rolling, or knew how to go about finding some investors for such an effort.

THIS is America, it belongs to US and we need to start taking it back.....both figuratively and literally.....one small town and one job at a time if we have to. That's how it was taken FROM us and it's how we can take it BACK.

If a hunk of money fell on me right now...I would be right behind you, or right in front of you. I would buy all those houses and put an american flag in each yard.

How about right next to me with everyone else who wants to join in all lined up as one united front?

Sounds great to me!!!! A wall of patriots united to take back one american town....and it would only be the first of many more after."

My Reply:

The trouble is that Postville is located in Iowa, in the Middlewest, from which young natives have been fleeing for years to a less physcially exacting, more profitable and exciting life in urban areas. The State of Iowa itself has even tried offering tax incentives to induce young Iowans to remain in Iowa after they finish their educations to work and buy homes there with very little success.

It's a lovely idea, but Americans who rushed for free and low-cost land during the 19th Century now want a maintenance-free condo in a city!
Little towns have always had that problem, but look at the problems they've got now? I'll bet they were wishing for the old days, when the kids went on to bigger and better things and they got a Walmart instead of an illegal alien employing meat plant that owes them $60k for water bills and stuck them with a bond issue for sewage treatment. New owners will buy it up and life will be good for them once again. But I hope they suffer in the meantime and learn their lessons.

That crumb dumb Mayor resigned so maybe they'll get things on track again.

They should probably plant some trees too.