Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

S.C. restrictions leave illegal immigrants’ futures uncert

S.C. restrictions leave illegal immigrants’ futures uncertain
    By Titus Ledbetter III (Contact)
    Saturday, August 1, 2009

The chances for illegal immigrants to prosper in South Carolina may be dwindling as state lawmakers clamp down on college admissions and the hiring requirements for employers.

Immigrants have come to South Carolina in large numbers in a search for jobs. They found the state attractive not only for the chance to work, but also because they felt the odds were better than in border states for escaping detection by immigration authorities.

The state had about 70,000 illegal immigrants in 2008, up from 55,000 in 2005, according to the Pew Hispanic Center in Washington, D.C. The U.S. Census Bureau reports that South Carolina showed the highest increase in foreign-born population of any state in the nation from 2000 to 2005, according to the Consortium for Latino Immigration Studies for the University of South Carolina.

A majority of the immigrants in South Carolina are from Mexico, but a significant number come from other Central American countries.

The recent immigration of Hispanics to South Carolina has led to new legislation banning illegal immigrants from public colleges and has changed the job market in the state. The migration to South Carolina has also sparked new requirements for verifying the legal status of workers.

A quest for higher education

In the summer of 2008, South Carolina became the first state to ban illegal immigrants from enrolling in public colleges and universities. The law was a blow to young people such as one a 16-year-old in a family of illegal immigrants in Upstate South Carolina.

The teen came to South Carolina from Costa Rica with her family when she was 2 years old. She is a rising 11th-grader in high school and has a 3.7 grade point average.

She was devastated when she heard about the new law banning her from public colleges.

“I can’t get into a college here,â€
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

The Upstate teen said she will probably have to go to college in Costa Rica if the DREAM Act is not passed before she graduates from high school. She would rather go to school in the United States because she does not know many people in Costa Rica, she said, and is not familiar with the customs there.
    Buh-bye. She would rather go to school in the US. Tough. I would rather she and the other 20 million had never come here at all.

Good going South Carolina!!
    <div>Number*U.S. military*in S.Korea to protect their border with N.Korea: 28,000. Number*U.S. military*on 2000 mile*U.S. southern border to protect ourselves from*the war in our own backyard: 1,200 National Guard.</

Ive been to Costa Rica and it is beautiful. They are quite proud of their democratic government. On one of the days I was there, the whole town closed down because they were having a political rally. Many more of them take part in their democratic process than we do. What is her problem. Alot of Americans retire there.

So this little girl is unfamilar with customs in Costa Rica? So what? A lot of people continue to sneak into this country who are unfamiliar with customs here and that doesn't seem to be a "problema".

She is an illegal alien that has messed up other American Students GPA rankings.
    She said she has a lot of school spirit and would like to try out for the high school volleyball team. Her favorite subject is Algebra 2.
    Only in Algebra 2 in the 11th grade

Related Post:
    ALIPAC: Lifting ban on illegal immigrants may profit college http://www.alipac.us/ftopicp-885029-.html#885029

Everyone needs to understand what the non college route undocumented students are doing to the Class Ranking of American Students trying to get into American Colleges.

There needs to be a class action lawsuit against the public school systems for defrauding American Citizens out of College.

I firmly think the Dream Act is trying to do a cover up of the mess our government is in. The government is trying to make it legal the abuse to American Students with the Dream Act.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Immigrants have come to South Carolina in large numbers in a search for jobs. They found the state attractive not only for the chance to work, but also because they felt the odds were better than in border states for escaping detection by immigration authorities.
    So in this paragraph the writer should have written "ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS at the start of the sentence. Since the latter part of the paragraph says they flocked to SC for less detection of immigration status by authorities.

[quote]“I’m not trying to deny individuals,â€
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

The mom stays home to take "care" of the children. The dad is a "painter". There are 5 children in this family. What legal American family can afford to send their child to college, support a family of seven, on the wages of a painter? Not one who pays taxes and gets no benefits. I am guessing that some of those children are anchors who benefit the family through food stamps, ADC and rent subsidies.

And, its still not enough. They want a free college education.

[quote]“I don’t think anybody that is here illegally should be going to any of our schools,â€
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Children who come to the United States when they are young should not be punished for the mistakes of their parents, Waslin said
    I am so sick and tired of hearing that line. TOUGH. Let her be angry at her illegal alien parents because its not our fault. We dont owe these kids anything. Americans were FORCED to pay for their education from k-12th grade because of some stupid bill passed without our consent. No more. Take your families and get out.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

GO BUTTERBEAN
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast