Sheriff Joe Arpaio teams up with Arizona pol to plan a new 'tent city' for illegal immigration
by Joe Tacopino

Wednesday, June 9th 2010, 12:56 PM

Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio is helping to plan a new 'tent city' for illegal aliens.

Sheriff Joe Arpaio is ready pitch a tent for illegal aliens.

The controversial Phoenix-area sheriff has teamed up with Arizona State Treasurer and candidate for governor Dean Martin to introduce an ambitious new plan for border security.

The Zero Tolerance plan includes a border fence and enhanced security, but proposes stronger detention policies than Martin's Republican rival, Gov. Jan Brewer.

Martin envisions a tent city to house the influx of illegal aliens expected to be arrested once the state's tough new immigration law goes into effect.

"I will work with Sheriff Joe to establish a statewide tent city specifically to house illegal aliens convicted of crimes in Arizona," Martin's plan reads.

Arpaio has set up similar tent facilities as an extension of his Maricopa County Jail.

He has also instituted such oddball policies as providing his inmates with pink underwear and prison-stripe uniforms. He boasted back in 2003 of running the first female chain gang in history.

"Just yesterday Sheriff Arpaio and I met, and he endorsed my plan," Martin said in a statement.

Martin is trailing Gov. Brewer for the Republican nomination for governor, according to the latest Rasmussen poll.

Brewer received a huge boost after signing the state's tough, but popular, new immigration law.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... legal.html