Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Smithfield Union Workers Walk Out, Protest Labor Screening P

Smithfield Union Workers Walk Out, Protest Labor Screening Process
    POSTED: 3:16 pm EST November 16, 2006
    UPDATED: 5:47 pm EST November 16, 2006

TAR HEEL, N.C. -- More than 300 workers, many of them Hispanic, walked out of a Smithfield Foods Inc. hog slaughtering plant Thursday, protesting a labor screening process and what they described as management intimidation and abuse.

"There's a long train of abuses in that plant really going back more than a dozen years," Gene Bruskin, a representative of the United Food and Commercial Workers Union who serves as the Smithfield campaign director, told The Associated Press. "Recently the activity in the plant has been increasing."

Bruskin said Smithfield officials have failed to address problems of sexual harassment, inappropriate firings and denial of workers compensation claims.

Smithfield spokesman Dennis Pittman said the company was only complying with a request from the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement to gather the names, Social Security numbers, dates of birth and gender of workers at the plant. About 600 workers were found to have unverifiable information. The company fired about 75 people for providing false information, he said.

"This walkout -- which apparently was instigated by the United Food and Commercial Workers Union -- is totally unjustified," Pittman said. "If Smithfield were to do what the union is calling for, we would be breaking federal law by knowingly employing undocumented workers. The union should stop trying to pressure Smithfield to break the law."

The plant, about 25 miles south of Fayetteville, employees 5,000 workers and slaughters up to 34,000 hogs a day.

Many of the workers who left their jobs during Thursday's morning shift could be heard chanting the word "justice" in Spanish. Bruskin said workers in later shifts planned to continue the walkouts.

Smithfield, Va.-based Smithfield Foods is the world's largest pork processor and hog producer. The Tar Heel facility is considered the largest pork-processing plant in the world.
    http://www.wral.com/news/10337601/detai ... l&psp=news
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

information@smithfieldfoods.com

Smithfield Packing
    15855 NC Highway 87 W
    Tar Heel, NC 28392
    (910) 872-0032

http://www.smithfieldfoods.com/Career/C ... efault.asp

Corporate Office

Smithfield Foods, Inc
    200 Commerce Street
    Smithfield, VA 23430
    757-365-3000
    888-366-6767

Murphy-Brown LLC
    P.O. Box 487
    Warsaw, NC 28398
    Phone:910-296-1800
    Fax:910-296-1675
    HR Phone:910-296-1800
    HR Fax:910-296-6166

Murphy-Brown LLC
    2822 Highway 24 West
    Warsaw, NC 28398
    Phone:910-293-3434
    Fax:910-293-7551
    HR Phone:910-293-3434
    HR Fax:910-293-3199

Looks like a good place for a counter protest gang
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Sounds like a good time to start eating more beef from local ranchers!
    We call things racism just to get attention.We reduce complicated problems to racism,not because it is racism, but because it works
    AlfredoGutierrez

Your right!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlesoakisland
    Looks like a good place for a counter protest gang
    We the People. You the Invader

It looks like things are starting to take hold. Maybe we are going to get some interior enforcement. I think we may send some really tough enforcement coming down the pike in order to grease us up for an amnesty. They think we will all feel better about it if we believe they are cracking down.

Banned
    I think an e-mail campaign to Smithfield as well as a pork shopping spree are in order.

We should take a few days to a week to e-mail and call them, thanking them for FINALLY doing the right thing, and then we should do a REVERSE boycott and STOCK UP on Smithfield products.

If we put this out to ALL our groups we could make a difference.

http://www.smithfieldfoods.com/Career/C ... efault.asp

Senior Member ShockedinCalifornia's Avatar

Do it!

The company should sue the Union for conspiracy to violate U.S. Immigration Law and then report the same Union to the Department of Homeland Security.

It looks to be a good place for a Few Buses and several ICE agents to be at. If and when my Employers asks about My Social Security number. I have no problem giving it or anything else. The only people that do. Are people that have something to hide.
    http://www.alipac.us/
    You can not be loyal to two nations, without being unfaithful to one. Scubayons 02/07/06

OK team lets start with a email/call and mail tsunami like we did with General Mills. After that we'll see what we can line up. I'll work on getting address and phone numbers for the Tarhell plant in the morning. I go by it several times a month going to Fayetteville.
    JP this might be a good front page article.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlesoakisland
    OK team lets start with a email/call and mail tsunami like we did with General Mills. After that we'll see what we can line up. I'll work on getting address and phone numbers for the Tarhell plant in the morning. I go by it several times a month going to Fayetteville.
    JP this might be a good front page article.
    I'm in

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast