Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Student protesters want talk-show host Savage fired

Student protesters want talk-show host Savage fired
    By Javier Erik Olvera
    Mercury News
    Article Launched: 07/13/2007 01:33:28 AM PDT

l Radio host
    angered students

David Ginsborg of the Jewish Community Relations Council

Latino college students who spent a week fasting to call attention to the Dream Act are demanding the firing of radio host Michael Savage for saying on the air: "Let them fast until they starve to death."

About two dozen young people from across the state - including four from San Jose - are also demanding apologies from 350 radio stations throughout the country that air the program, "The Savage Nation."

"The comments were full of hate," said Cesar Juarez, 21, a San Jose State University student who took part in the fast that began July 2 and ended Monday.

The demands were made Thursday during a news conference outside San Jose City Hall that evolved into a rally, with several participants chanting in Spanish "Que lo saquen" or "kick him out."

Savage, whose real name is Michael Alan Weiner and whose program airs from 3 to 6 p.m. weekdays on San Francisco's KNEW-AM (910), could not be reached for comment.

The corporate spokesman for the Oregon-based Talk Radio Network, , which syndicates Savage's show to nearly 8 million listeners, also didn't return several phone calls.

Also backing the students are 51 organizations from across the region - including anti-war, immigrant-rights and faith groups - who say Savage went too far by suggesting the students should die.

Unlike remarks from shock jock Don Imus, who

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    was fired from CBS Radio in April for calling members of the Rutgers University women's basketball team "nappy-headed hos" - Savage's comment fuels wide, public hostility, the students said.
    Charlotte Casey with the San Jose Peace Center said the airwaves should be reclaimed and the public shouldn't be exposed to someone who "spews his hate speech."

Savage made the statement on his July 5 show - three days into the fast meant to urge lawmakers to pass legislation that would help undocumented students attend college through loans and create a pathway toward citizenship.

"I would say, let them fast until they starve to death, then that solves the problem," Savage said. "Then we won't have a problem about giving them green cards because they're illegal aliens."

During the segment, Savage played an interview by a reporter with a fasting student, who said the Dream Act would help people who are working in restaurants, but want to be engineers.

Savage said the United States doesn't need such people and they should take their talents back to their own country: "Go be an engineer there. Go make a bomb where you came from."

The talk-show host, known for his harsh and provocative political rhetoric, also has called gay parenting "child abuse" and women who wear burqas hateful Nazis "who would like to cut your throat and kill your children."

Although the comments were made last week, the students waited to hold their protest until Thursday so as not to veer attention away from their hunger strike. They said they also needed time to regain their strength.

"All we're trying to do is get an education," said Alba Cardenas, 22, who attends San Jose State University under a California law that allows undocumented students to pursue public higher education if they pay for it themselves.

David Ginsborg, of the Jewish Community Relations Council of Silicon Valley, said people like Savage, who have a national, public platform, should have a sense of responsibility.

"There is no room in our nation's living room for such hateful speech," Ginsborg said. "To suggest that children of God, regardless of their origin, should starve to death merely because they sought education and to better their lives should be an affront to all people of faith."

Contact Javier Erik Olvera at jolvera@mercurynews.com or (40 920-5704.

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_6364953?s ... ost_viewed
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Well, isn't their fasting a threat to do just that - starve themselves?

Wouldn't simply saying, 'Don't give in', be the same thing?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Notice how the illegals always portray themselves as victims. They never admit to doing wrong.

I feel sooooooooo sorry for the pooooooor illegals. BUT I AGREE WITH SAVAGE!!!!!!!

"The comments were full of hate," said Cesar Juarez, 21, a San Jose State University student who took part in the fast that began July 2 and ended Monday.

Hmm not to me. To me hateful is illegally entering a country and burning that country's flag all while yelling for Americans to go back to Europe.

Just my opinion.

For God's sake, HE is not making them fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicole
    Hmm not to me. To me hateful is illegally entering a country and burning that country's flag all while yelling for Americans to go back to Europe.
    BINGO!
    We are NOT a nation of immigrants!

MW
    During the segment, Savage played an interview by a reporter with a fasting student, who said the Dream Act would help people who are working in restaurants, but want to be engineers.
    So taking American restaurant workers jobs isn't enough, now the want our engineering jobs too. This sense of entitlement is really starting to disgust me. Don't come into my country demanding things you don't deserve!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Latino college students who spent a week fasting to call attention to the Dream Act are demanding the firing of radio host Michael Savage for saying on the air: "Let them fast until they starve to death."
    I don't see what was so wrong with that comment. I've felt the same way. I'm not going to wish death on anybody, but if they want to starve themselves to death then I'm not going to stop them.

Just my opinion.
    Exactly. Or how about when we protest their being here and they send in their thugs to beat up on women and senior citizens? Yet they are the victims?
    Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

"There is no room in our nation's living room for such hateful speech," Ginsborg said. "To suggest that children of God, regardless of their origin, should starve to death merely because they sought education and to better their lives should be an affront to all people of faith."
    Frankly, I could care less if they starve themselves to death. Go ahead, do the American taxpayers a favor...cut yourselves from the herd so we have less deportations to make.

Hey, muchacho...your'e barking outside the wrong pueblo. Here’s Ted Kennedy’s number (202-224-4543). Call someone who cares

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast