Texas Bill Aimed At Immigration Sparks Controversy

Story Created: Feb 25, 2011

(Story Updated: Feb 25, 2011 )

A Texas State Representative has proposed a bill that would make it a felony to hire illegal immigrants unless they are domestic workers. The proposed bill is sparking some controversy. Our Antonia Mejia speaks to local representatives about the proposal and brings us the story.

One state representative has proposed a bill that would make it a state felony to knowingly hire illegal immigrants unless they are a domestic worker. But local representative, Richard Raymond, who knows the author behind this bill, says the reasoning for it is not consistent.

"She's saying 'hey if I’m hiring someone that's working at her house that's not a us citizen. That's okay.'

Raymond calls it anti-immigrant and says the state does not even handle these types of bills.

"The state level don't do immigration issues that is the federal issue and everyone knows that"

However, Webb County Republican chairman, Randy Blair says this type of bill is to focus on targeting larger businesses hiring illegals rather than residential areas. It's something he says federal officials are not properly regulating.

"In my opinion what it's doing is enforcing. It's another bill, a state bill, and what it's doing is enforcing the federal government to do what they're supposed to be doing."

Blair says, he does support a bill allowing work permits.

"And this does not make these individuals U.S. citizens, does not give them the right to vote. It gives them the right to work and that's what most of these people are here for."

It's a matter he says is about helping state funding.

"The federal government is playing politics instead of playing politics they need to be playing economics. It is inconsistent it wouldn't survive courts if it passed, I don't think it will pass"

Antonia Mejia, pro 8 news.

If passed, guilty parties could face a maximum fine of $10,000 and 180 days to two years behind bars.

http://www.pro8news.com/news/local/Texa ... 65198.html