Texas Has 'Bused Over 7,000 Migrants to Our Nation's Capital Since April'

By Susan Jones | August 22, 2022 | 6:51am EDT

A bus transporting illegal immigrants leaves a temporary holding facility in Clint, Texas. (Photo by PAUL RATJE/AFP via Getty Images)

(CNSNews.com) - Texas Gov. Greg Abbott says his state has sent “over 7,000 migrants to our nation's capital since April and over 900 migrants to New York City since August 5.”

In the August 19 press release, Abbott said the bus transportation “is providing much-needed relief to our overwhelmed border communities.”

“In the United States, there is a legal pathway that people can pursue to become a legal immigrant into the country," Governor Abbott said. "The problem is that President Biden is not enforcing what that standard is.

When the rule of law is abandoned, it leads to the chaos that we’re seeing.”

Rep. Dan Crenshaw, a Texas Republican, was asked about Abbott’s “stunt” on Sunday.

Video at link.

He told CNN’s “State of the Union” with Jake Tapper that Abbott is “acting out of desperation” and that he supports the governor’s actions:

“Well, look, what he's doing is, he's sending a message. That -- there's no secret there, right? This isn't a policy move,” Crenshaw said:

“This is -- this is a move of desperation to get someone to pay attention to what we're dealing with in Texas, which is why I support it.”

New York and Washington are sanctuary cities, which means illegal immigrants are protected from deportation.

But Crenshaw said given the huge influx, basically, everyone is crossing our border has the same likelihood of being allowed to stay:

“There's millions upon -- there's almost two million, I think, we're at, at apprehensions just this year.

That's an unprecedented number. A huge amount of those will stay in the country, because the backlogs in our system are so severe that that's going to happen anyway.

“And when we're talking about the New York and D.C. busing, we're talking about a few thousand immigrants. That's what we deal with on a daily basis in South Texas.

“So, look, what he's doing, I think, is out of desperation. And it's highly necessary, because somebody has to solve this problem. This is an infringement on our sovereignty. It's an infringement on our rule of law.

“And you know what? It's unfair and it's immoral to the millions upon millions of good, law-abiding immigrants or asylum seekers around the world that have no chance of getting into our system because of the backlog that people are creating because they're geographically close to the United States and they can just walk across. It's not fair.”

Gov. Abbott says it’s “disingenuous” for New York City officials to criticize his “ship-them-to-New-York” effort.

“It’s disingenuous, because before I began busing migrants up to New York, President Biden was flying planeloads of these migrants into the city,” Governor Abbott said. “What Texas is doing is just a fraction of what President Biden was doing, but you never heard them complain before.”

Texas Has 'Bused Over 7,000 Migrants to Our Nation's Capital Since April' | CNSNews