Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tuition bill targets immigrants

This article is on our Home Page. Great qoute from ALIPAC President William Gheen. Way to go William!

http://www.alipac.us/article-338--0-0.html

Lawmakers would let students pay less, even if parents in N.C. illegally
    SHARIF DURHAMS
    Raleigh Bureau
    Charlotte Observer
    April 12, 2005
    Topics: Tuition, Americans, Citizens,
    Lawmakers, NC, ALIPAC,Illegal Immigrants,
    Illegal Immigration

RALEIGH - Federal law gives children of illegal immigrants the right to attend public grade schools. Once those children become college age, however, they have to pay out-of-state tuition to attend N.C. public universities -- usually a prohibitive barrier.

Four lawmakers, including Rep. Jeff Barnhart, R-Cabarrus, will introduce legislation today that would let those children pay in-state rates if they've attended N.C. public schools for four years, graduate from a state high school and meet other criteria, such as admission to a state university.

Nine states have passed similar legislation and at least 16 other states have considered it, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.

Opponents say the measure would be one of many government giveaways that lure illegal immigrants to North Carolina.

As many as 1,450 illegal immigrants graduated from N.C. high schools this spring, according to an estimate from the Raleigh-based Hispanic advocacy group El Pueblo. The estimated cost for N.C. students to attend UNC Charlotte was $11,150 last school year. For out-of-state students, it was $20,709. At least some of that difference is subsidized by taxes.

But backers say the children will be here anyway, they want to attend college and they could contribute more to the state's economy with a college education.

"We're making (college) unattainable," Barnhart said. "Basically, we're punishing young students because their parents decided to live somewhere different."

In addition, Barnhart said, the children of illegal immigrants can't receive federal grants that others students get, which makes the out-of-pocket cost even higher for those families.

Bill Gheen, president for the Raleigh-based Americans for Legal Immigration, said he sympathizes with the students and acknowledges that it wasn't their decision to come to North Carolina. But giving them in-state rates, he said, rewards the parents for breaking the law.

"The parents who broke the law are responsible for the hardship, not the taxpayers of North Carolina," Gheen said. "That's not meant to be mean or harsh to anybody."

Parents who are legally in the country, Gheen said, would be upset to see an illegal immigrant's child take a college seat their child could have had.

The bill is one of many this year that has divided state lawmakers over illegal immigration.

For instance, despite some rule-tightening last year, many continue to argue over whether the state is too lenient in giving driver's licenses to applicants who might not be in the state legally. Sen. Hugh Webster, R-Alamance, introduced legislation last month that requires state and local officials check applicants' immigration status before providing public services.

But the education legislation has shaken those alliances. Barnhart has pushed for tightening the drivers license requirements, but backs this legislation, saying, "It's the right thing to do."

Reps. Paul Luebke, D-Durham, Rick Glazier, D-Cumberland, and John Saul, R-Harnett, plan to introduce the legislation and they have backing from former Democratic Gov. Jim Hunt. UNC system officials didn't return a call Monday seeking their position.

"We're making (college) unattainable," Barnhart said. "Basically, we're punishing young students because their parents decided to live somewhere different."

In addition, Barnhart said, the children of illegal immigrants can't receive federal grants that others students get, which makes the out-of-pocket cost even higher for those families.
    Gee-Wiz, You mean there is a downside to living life on the lam?

Who whould of thought . . .

/sarcasm

This is ridiculous. We need to be passing bills to stop illegal immigrants, not help them out. This country is being overwhelmed with all the illegals. We need harsh laws to deter them, not stuff that makes it easier for them. I've just about had enough with all this illegal immigration. I am sorry their country sucks, but that doesn't give them the right to break the law and steal a seat from US residents. Our kids come first.

They need to be deported, not given freebies.
    Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

This is crazy! Let illegals come in and stay and then open all of the doors to them and even pass legislation to help them - hey they must be citizens.

Is it any wonder that 10% of all Mexicans live legally or illegally in this country or that 50% of Mexico's GDP is the money that is sent back. How much is this costing the U.S.? I've seen estimates that the cost of illegals is about $10B/year (after taking credit for FICA taxes) and to that add the monies that are sent back home. Sounds like we are getting into some real money.

In the case of North Carolina (and other states that follow the same route), how can they justify not turning these people into the Feds? Is this a country that is ruled by law? Maybe these states should be sued in the Federal courts.

Welcome, Culion. Glad to have you aboard.

In-state tuition for illegal immigrants?

Well, I guess this makes sense. If they are not legal Americans, they must be native North Carolinians! You've gotta be kidding me!

I've already emailed and called my reps. I told them that if we can afford to do that, then I'd like my taxes reduced FIRST. Obviously the State has too much money if they can afford this.

They also can pay off the mortgage on my house I had to have so my kid could go to college!

Whips me who thought we'd stay quiet on this issue. They truly amaze me in thinking no one is paying attention to what they are doing.

And as I eloquently emailed to them -- me thinks you may miss my vote during the next election if you vote for this. Mine and the rest of your constituents.

Tuition bill targets immigrants

Pardon me, but it seems to me that the Tuition bill is targeting Americans! It's hunting season in North Carolina! And the Americans are the target. And our tax dollars!

A question for those that have followed these types of issues: what is the driving force for this type of legislation? Votes from the Hispanic community? Votes and financial support from economic sectors that tend to employ illegal aliens (e.g., agriculture, etc.)? In other words, what is the root cause for condoning and even encouraging illegal aliens?

Backers of this legislation claiming that those illegal alien students who attain a college education could contribute more to the state's economy need to reminded of the following, nagging fact:

Illegal immigrants do not become legal immigrants by virtue of a college degree. With that in mind, LEGAL employment is not available to them neither while in college, or upon graduation.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast