Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tyler Republican announces challenge to Texas House speaker

Tyler Republican announces challenge to Texas House speaker
    Posted Tuesday, Jun. 22, 2010
    By DAVE MONTGOMERY

AUSTIN -- Rep. Leo Berman, an ardent conservative who favors an Arizona-style crackdown on illegal immigration, announced Tuesday that he is challenging Speaker Joe Straus for leadership of the Republican-controlled state House of Representatives.

"I think he's a disaster," the Tyler Republican said of Straus after formally declaring his intention to run for speaker. He accused the San Antonio Republican, who became speaker in January 2009, of aligning with Democrats and moderate Republicans to block conservative priorities such as voter ID, anti-abortion bills and tougher immigration measures.

"Rep. Berman first threatened to run against Gov. [Rick] Perry last year, so we aren't surprised," said Tracy Young, Straus' spokeswoman.

One of Straus' key supporters, Rep. Charlie Geren, R-Fort Worth, called Berman a "divider" and accused him of lying by telling his hometown newspaper that Straus blocked the voter ID bill, which would have required voters to show identification to cast ballots. Geren said Straus supported the legislation.

"I'm not saying he misrepresented the truth, I'm saying he's lying," Geren said. "I guess he got his feelings hurt about something so he decides to throw his hat in this ring. He doesn't care about good government. He cares about Leo Berman and the attention he can get for Leo Berman."

Told of Geren's statements, Berman responded: "Charlie is one of the good old boys who supports Joe Straus. He knows what he's saying is absolutely false. I won't call him a liar. I won't use words like that for people who are my supposed colleagues."

Straus emerged as a consensus candidate for speaker just before the 2009 Legislature after dissident Republicans, including Geren, joined Democrats in ousting Speaker Tom Craddick, a Midland Republican. Straus has won praise for an inclusive, evenhanded style, but some conservatives have become increasingly critical of his leadership, accusing him of being too cozy with Democrats.

"He was a Republican who was voted in by Democrats," Berman said.

Young said Straus is working with other members to focus on a projected budget shortfall of at least $18 billion. Straus is also campaigning to help expand the Republican majority in the House "and letting members represent the interest of their districts without returning to the rancor" of earlier sessions, Young said.

The House is almost evenly divided, with 77 Republicans and 73 Democrats. Berman predicted that the November elections could expand Republican control to at least 83 seats, bolstering his chances to become speaker. "The conservatives will support me, without question," Berman said.

Speakers are chosen by a vote of the 150-member House at the outset of each 140-day session. Berman said he already has support from "a bunch of members" and plans to vigorously campaign before the Legislature convenes in January.

A retired colonel, Berman served 22 years in the Army, including two combat tours in Vietnam. He was on the Arlington City Council from 1979 to 1985 before moving to Tyler in 1990.

Since his election to the House in 1998, Berman, 75, has earned a reputation as one of the chamber's most outspoken conservatives whose pet causes include a get-tough approach on illegal immigration. He said he plans to introduce legislation patterned after a controversial new law in Arizona that requires local and state law enforcement officers to question people about their immigration status.

Critics have attacked the Arizona law for promoting racial profiling, but Berman said his bill will expressly prohibit profiling. Berman has also indicated that he plans to file a bill that would require presidential candidates to provide documented proof that they were born in the United States to be listed on the Texas ballot, according to The Associated Press.

Berman said other priorities include balancing the budget "without any tax increase whatsoever" and making sure that conservatives "get their share" of new congressional seats the state expects through redistricting. Texas is in line for at least three new seats, and possibly four, after the 2010 Census.

www.star-telegram.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Re: Tyler Republican announces challenge to Texas House spea

Quote Originally Posted by jean

AUSTIN -- Rep. Leo Berman, an ardent conservative who favors an Arizona-style crackdown on illegal immigration, announced Tuesday that he is challenging Speaker Joe Straus for leadership of the Republican-controlled state House of Representatives.

"I think he's a disaster," the Tyler Republican said of Straus after formally declaring his intention to run for speaker. He accused the San Antonio Republican, who became speaker in January 2009, of aligning with Democrats and moderate Republicans to block conservative priorities such as voter ID, anti-abortion bills and tougher immigration measures.
    Leo Berman is absolutely right. Joe Straus is a DISASTER! Straus and many in the Texas GOP, including Rick Perry are moderate conservatives more aligned with Democrats. Good legislation has been introduced by conservative Republicans but they continually get blocked by moderate Republicans like Straus and his Democrat friends.

Despite Texas not having a choice for governor in November, perhaps we will have a good chance to sweep some of these Republican and democratic disasters out of Austin.
    Certified Member
    The Sons of the Republic of Texas

Tyler

I sure wish Berman WOULD have run for governor. Now all we have to choose from are Perry(R) and White(D), which equals no choice at all.

Straus's problem is the same as with too many republican politicians they "go along to get along' and they failed to stand for anything such as Securing our Borders and Enforcing our Immigration Laws and instead choose to stand for everything.

Leo is one of the BEST politicians that us Texans have. Unfortunately, most republicans here want some sort of amnesty, so I don't see this happening. We are screwed if we vote for republicans, and screwed if we vote for democrats. It is time we get some independents that stand for what is right. I wish Leo the best of luck in his endeavor.
    Don't think about all the things you fear, just be glad you're here.

Re: Tyler

Quote Originally Posted by Texan123
    I sure wish Berman WOULD have run for governor. Now all we have to choose from are Perry(R) and White(D), which equals no choice at all.
    No kidding! He sure would get out vote. Having to vote for Perry or White is like having to choose how you want to die.
    Certified Member
    The Sons of the Republic of Texas

We do indeed have Progressives in the hen house here.
    Travis and Crockett, are flopping in their graves