Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

RR, I'm renting to a family born and raised in the good old USA who does exactly that. Got the place under the same circumstances, actually--begged us to rent to them. But for the noise, this sounds like the same tenants. And, to top it off, these jokers profess Christianity to the high heavens yet they think it is perfectly all right to pay their rent when they get damn good and ready and even bounce the late checks, as though signing a lease that they will pay x-number of dollars on the first of each month and then not bothering to live up to that agreements is not stealing. According to the woman, I'm just being unreasonable! Further, the guy says he isn't going to "work for ten bucks an hour!" I guess no job, or a job where he can work one day a week for 20 bucks an hour is better than a ten dollar an hour/ 40 hour job.

I felt sorry for these folks because they were supposedly victims of outsourced jobs not once but twice. Well, I don't feel too sorry now. And I sure hope that when they finally move on, they don't expect me to be a rental reference for them.

So, I'd say that wanting to get rid of bad tenants is not a racist issue at all.

I am curious, though, can I write into the next lease, when I finally get these people out, that I won't rent to people who cannot prove to me satisfactorily that they aren't US citizens?

I know that we rented the house we are now living in (through an agent) to a couple who I've come to suspect weren't citizens at all. They left us with a trashed house, a dead lawn, broken windows and a whole bunch of small problems t hat they lied about claiming that the rental agent refused to fix. We still get mail six years later for half a dozen hispanic surnames that, to the best of my knowledge never lived here but I'm beginning to wonder just how many brothers and sisters these folks had living in this little bitty house. They, too, paid the rent late, had all the neighbors up in arms over their wold parties, domestic disturbences and noise when we returned here, and were a general nuisance to the neighborhood, which, although predominently Mexican, are by and large decent people.

So I'd say wanting to be rid of bad tenants isn't a racist issue at all. They come in all sizes, shapes and colors.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I'm not sure about that US citizens only in your lease. That might be construed as discrimination...can't do that anymore. But there are some cagey things you can do in your lease...you can state the number of people that can live there...the rent goes up x number of bucks per tenant. You CAN and should ask for references. You CAN do credit checks. Etc.

I have the same problem with mail that doesn't belong here...I get mail all the time for people who have never lived here but were friends of the kids friends. They don't have a permanent address so they give out ours...and our phone number as well. I called the postmaster about this as I had gotten a letter from my car insurance that they were going to increase my insurance due to some of the people that lived here who might be driving my vehicle. I got the mail stopped. Well, most of it anyway. Changed the phone number and had it unlisted...told the kids if they gave it out I'd rip out their throats ha! The kids don't live at home anymore so no reason to give out our number.

RR
    The men who try to do something and fail are infinitely better than those who try to do nothing and succeed. " - Lloyd Jones

I'm not sure about that US citizens only in your lease.
    DANG it! I'm not sure, either. But I intend to find out. I can say in my lease that I get to accept or reject the potential tenant, though. And maybe I just don't like the guy. LOL
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234