Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Youth suspended for speaking Spanish at school

http://www.kansascitykansan.com/article ... /news4.txt

Youth suspended for speaking Spanish

By CARMEN CARDINAL
    Kansan Staff Writer

Kansas City, Kan., resident Lorenzo Rubio is upset that his son, Zach, was suspended from the Turner School District's Endeaver School for two days.

He is even more upset that the reason Zach was suspended was not for fighting or causing trouble, but for speaking Spanish at lunchtime with his friends.

"My son called me on Monday and said he had been suspended for speaking Spanish," Rubio said. "I could not believe it. I went to the school and spoke to Mrs. (Jennifer) Watts and asked her if this was school policy. She told me, 'no,' but said 'We are not in Mexico, we are not in Germany.'"

Watts refused to comment to The Kansan.

However, Bart Swartz, executive director of certified personnel for Turner, said Superintendent Bobby Allen was apprised of the situation immediately and met with Rubio.

"As soon as the superintendent found out the student was suspended, the superintendent notified the student that he could come back to school," Swartz said. "We do not stand behind suspending students for speaking foreign languages."

Zach and a friend were told not to speak Spanish in the lunch area on Monday. As he left to go to his class, he started speaking Spanish again to his friend and was told again not to speak Spanish on the way to class. About 45 minutes later, he was sent back to the office by his teacher for speaking Spanish to a classmate in a classroom. Zach was then told to call his father because he was suspended from school for the rest of the day and on Tuesday for non-compliance. A "reasonable" request to not speak Spanish at school, signed by Jennifer Watts, the principal of the school, was written on a disciplinary referral dated Monday.

In addition to the reason for suspension, Watts also wrote, "This is not the first time we have asked Zach and others to not speak Spanish at school."

Zach, a junior at the Endeaver school, an alternative school in the district, is American born and proficient in English and Spanish. He said he often speaks Spanish to his friends, in his home when they come over to play video games, at the mall, and places outside of school.

"It's just natural for me to speak to them in Spanish," Zach said. "Some of them don't speak English that well, and it is easier for them. Sometimes I just talk to them and I don't think about what language I am speaking. Sometimes it just comes out. My friend was going on a job interview that day and we were talking about that when (Watts) told us not to speak Spanish. I was trying to be nice to her. I asked her why she did not want me to speak Spanish and she got mad. She said 'I don't want to hear it in my building.' My friend then asked me for a dollar in Spanish and she started yelling at me. I have heard her tell other Spanish-speaking people the same thing."

"It was wrong," Allen said. "It was rectified. I can say is the school has been notified."

Allen said he was told by Watts that Zach was being disruptive and it is important that the teachers be able to communicate and know what the students are saying. He said there are programs in place for staff at Turner that focus on cultural and ethnic sensitivities and he has spoken to staff about what is acceptable conduct at the school. He did not say why Watts has not complied.

Foreign languages is a required course at the school, Swartz said. In fact, the school offers French and Spanish to its students.

Rubio feels the issue has not been rectified to his satisfaction. He said his son was disciplined for no good reason and Watts was not, as far as he knows. No one has called him to tell him what is being done or even if an apologize will be given to Zach. Watts could continue her anti-Spanish policy at the school, he said, and he doesn't want that to happen.

"If they did this to my son, who knows his rights, then how many kids has she mistreated in this manner, who are afraid to stand up?" he asked.

Rubio said the other youths in his son's case were not disciplined because "they complied," by not speaking Spanish.

Rubio said he thinks his son and his friends' constitutional rights to free speech in their language of choice have been violated.

According to ..... the United States does not have an official language, although some have campaigned in Washington to make English the official U.S. language without success. Not until 1981, has Congress considered declaring English the nation's official language. That's when the late Sen. S.I. Hayakawa, R-California, a Canadian-born naturalized citizen of Japanese parents, introduced an unsuccessful English language amendment to the U.S. Constitution. The only previous official-language legislation dates back to 1923, a bill designating "American" the national tongue.

It was popular among the Irish Americans who saw a way to insult the British Empire. The measure died in Congress. A persistent legend continues that German missed becoming America's official language by a single vote in 1795, when the 3rd Congress rejected a petition by German Americans in Virginia. In 1780, John Adams' proposal to establish an official language academy to set standards for English, was rejected by the Continental Congress as an improper role for government and a threat to individual liberties. A century later President Teddy Roosevelt's attempt to "reform" English spelling met a similar fate. There was no English proficiency requirement to become naturalized as a U.S. citizen until 1906, the first major language restriction to be enacted at the federal level. It's a hot button issue for Hispanic watchdog groups, like the National Council of La Raza and the Mexican American Legal Defense and Education Fund (MALDEF) which keep close scrutiny on English-only measures that continually threaten to crop up.

Legal issues aside, Rubio knows the pain of being singled out as "different" and knows situations like Zachs can leave lasting, painful scars on a young person. He still remembers how hard it was for him to be in a country and a school where he did not know the language. As a child, Rubio said he wanted desperately to go back to Mexico but his parents said no. He attended J.C. Harmon High School.

"My son is tough, but I know he will remember this discrimination act for the rest of his life," Rubio said. "In the 25 years that I have been in this country, I have never experienced anything like this. I swore that my kids would be bilingual."

His children were all born in this country, he said. The fact that they are bilingual will give them an edge in their future careers.

The Kansas State Board of Education and the Board of Regents has sent guidelines for all Kansas high school students to have passed a foreign language before they can graduate from high school and college.

Rubio's daughter, Sara, a ninth grade student at Turner High School, said that Spanish is taught at the school. Sara said she would like to go into law enforcement or social work, two fields that are seeking to recruit bilingual personnel.

"At Turner, they don't let us speak Spanish," Sara said.

She has heard other students being told the same thing that happened to her brother, she said.

Rubio would like to know if Watts has singled out Vietnamese, or other groups that speak other languages. As far as he knows, Watts has only focused on his Spanish-speaking son, and the "other" Spanish-speaking students who Watts referred to in her discipline report.

"My son did not fight with anyone; he did not offend anyone," Rubio said. "Enough is enough. Watts is still there and she got her way when my son lost two days of school. My son worked hard to learn Spanish. How can she say she does not want him to speak Spanish? Some of the students are afraid and they take this abuse. She picked on the wrong Spanish-speaking family. She told me, 'in my building I do not allow Spanish.' This is a slap in the face to us."

Rubio works in the North Kansas City School District and has shown the discipline report to some of the teachers in the school and said they are amazed that Watts would allow such discrimination.

"I want to be respected and I ask that my kids be respected, all the way," Rubio said.

Rubio said he spoke to the superintendent who told him "it was very bad," but he has yet to hear again what will be done about it.

"I have not received a letter from him, or from the board, apologizing for discriminating against my son," he said. "I have never known direct discrimination against me nor do I want that against my children. It hurts me more that they did this to my son. English is my son's first language. He learned Spanish by speaking with his friends, hearing it at home and by visiting Mexico. I don't know what the superintendent plans on doing. Maybe he just wants to sweep it under the carpet."
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I sure hope the school stands TOUGH on this incident.
    cultural and ethnic sensitivities
    Cultural and ethnic sensitivities of WHOM??? This is AMERICA. WE are fighting an intense battte to preserve OUR CULTURE and, if they have cultural and ethnic sensitivities in a country that speaks ENGLISH, they need to go back to the countries of their cultural and ethnic ORIGIN.

Rubio said he thinks his son and his friends' constitutional rights to free speech in their language of choice have been violated

I don't find ANY PLACE in the Constitution that mentions FREE SPEECH in a language of a person's CHOICE. WHAT COMPLETE BS.
    "POWER TENDS TO CORRUPT AND ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY." Sir John Dalberg-Acton

California or ground zero of the invasion
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 02122.html

Spanish At School Translates to Suspension

By T.R. Reid
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Friday, December 9, 2005; A03

KANSAS CITY, Kan., Dec. 8 -- Most of the time, 16-year-old Zach Rubio converses in clear, unaccented American teen-speak, a form of English in which the three most common words are "like," "whatever" and "totally." But Zach is also fluent in his dad's native language, Spanish -- and that's what got him suspended from school.

"It was, like, totally not in the classroom," the high school junior said, recalling the infraction. "We were in the, like, hall or whatever, on restroom break. This kid I know, he's like, 'Me prestas un dolar?' ['Will you lend me a dollar?'] Well, he asked in Spanish; it just seemed natural to answer that way. So I'm like, 'No problema.' "

But that conversation turned out to be a big problem for the staff at the Endeavor Alternative School, a small public high school in an ethnically mixed blue-collar neighborhood. A teacher who overheard the two boys sent Zach to the office, where Principal Jennifer Watts ordered him to call his father and leave the school.

Watts, whom students describe as a disciplinarian, said she can't discuss the case. But in a written "discipline referral" explaining her decision to suspend Zach for 1 1/2 days, she noted: "This is not the first time we have [asked] Zach and others to not speak Spanish at school."

Since then, the suspension of Zach Rubio has become the talk of the town in both English and Spanish newspapers and radio shows. The school district has officially rescinded his punishment and said that speaking a foreign language is not grounds for suspension. Meanwhile, the Rubio family has retained a lawyer, who says a civil rights lawsuit may be in the offing.

The tension here surrounding that brief exchange in a high school hall reflects a broader national debate over the language Americans should speak amid a wave of Hispanic immigration.

The National Council of La Raza, a Hispanic advocacy group, says that 20 percent of the U.S. school-age population is Latino. For half of those Latino students, the native language is Spanish.

Conflicts are bursting out nationwide over bilingual education, "English-only" laws, Spanish-language publications and advertising, and other linguistic collisions. Language concerns have been a key aspect of the growing political movement to reduce immigration.

"There's a lot of backlash against the increasing Hispanic population," said D.C. school board member Victor A. Reinoso. "We've seen some of it in the D.C. schools. You see it in some cities, where people complain that their tax money shouldn't be used to print public notices in Spanish. And there have been cases where schools want to ban foreign languages."

Some advocates of an English-only policy in U.S. schools say that it is particularly important for students from immigrant families to use the nation's dominant language.

California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger (R) made that point this summer when he vetoed a bill authorizing various academic subjects to be tested in Spanish in the state's public schools. "As an immigrant," the Austrian-born governor said, "I know the importance of mastering English as quickly and as comprehensively as possible."

Hispanic groups generally agree with that, but they emphasize the value of a multilingual citizenry. "A fully bilingual young man like Zach Rubio should be considered an asset to the community," said Janet Murguia, national president of La Raza.

The influx of immigrants has reached every corner of the country -- even here in Kansas City, which is about as far as a U.S. town can be from a border. Along Southwest Boulevard, a main street through some of the older neighborhoods, there are blocks where almost every shop and restaurant has signs written in Spanish.

"Most people, they don't care where you're from," said Zach's father, Lorenzo Rubio, a native of Veracruz, Mexico, who has lived in Kansas City for a quarter-century. "But sometimes, when they hear my accent, I get this, sort of, 'Why don't you go back home?' "

Rubio, a U.S. citizen, credits U.S. immigration law for his decision to fight his son's suspension.

"You can't just walk in and become a citizen," he said. "They make you take this government test. I studied for that test, and I learned that in America, they can't punish you unless you violate a written policy."

Rubio said he remembered that lesson on Nov. 28, when he received a call from Endeavor Alternative saying his son had been suspended.

"So I went to the principal and said, 'My son, he's not suspended for fighting, right? He's not suspended for disrespecting anyone. He's suspended for speaking Spanish in the hall?' So I asked her to show me the written policy about that. But they didn't have" one.

Rubio then called the superintendent of the Turner Unified School District, which operates the school. The district immediately rescinded Zach's suspension, local media reported. The superintendent did not respond to several requests to comment for this article.

Since then, the issue of speaking Spanish in the hall has not been raised at the school, Zach said. "I know it would be, like, disruptive if I answered in Spanish in the classroom. I totally don't do that. But outside of class now, the teachers are like, 'Whatever.' "

For Zach's father, and for the Hispanic organizations that have expressed concern, the suspension is not a closed case. "Obviously they've violated his civil rights," said Chuck Chionuma, a lawyer in Kansas City, Mo., who is representing the Rubio family. "We're studying what form of legal redress will correct the situation."

Said Rubio: "I'm mainly doing this for other Mexican families, where the legal status is kind of shaky and they are afraid to speak up. Punished for speaking Spanish? Somebody has to stand up and say: This is wrong."
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Said Rubio: "I'm mainly doing this for other Mexican families, where the legal status is kind of shaky and they are afraid to speak up. Punished for speaking Spanish? Somebody has to stand up and say: This is wrong."
    WHERE THE LEGAL STATUS IS KIND OF SHAKY???

Hell--either they are legal OR they are ILLEGAL. How can you describe someone's residency status as SHAKY??? This kid is going to a PUBLIC SCHOOL, correct?? This kid is going to an AMERICAN school, correct?? Then I don't see where they come off thinking that this kid should be allowed to speak a language that is not English. I can certainly see why the school administration would have a problem with this because they certainly NEED to know what kids are SAYING and, if they are saying it in another language, who KNOWS what they are saying?? They might be planning something dangerous that would NEED to be understood by the administration at this school. This is BATTY.
    "POWER TENDS TO CORRUPT AND ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY." Sir John Dalberg-Acton

Chinga

Ok let me get this straight, the district REQUIRES a foriegn language, yet the students aren't allowed to speak Spanish, one of the two options at this particular district. How on God's green earth are these students supposed to actually participate in the REQUIRED foriegn languages if they are only allowed to speak English. Which by the way, is not the National Language. What about Ms Watts ancestors as well as the rest of you who support her, did all of your ancestors speak English? doubtful. So the only difference is that you were born in this day and age and not the age of your ancestors or you could very well be a non english speaker yourself. But regardless of your opinion of Illegals or your own ancestors, or whatever, please ANYONE, CLASS CLASS? Tell me how a student, is REQUIRED to pass a foriegn language class, but is prohibited from using said foriegn language in what is proven to be the best way to learn -PEER EDUCATION? It is required to pass a foriegn language to graduate from this miserable district, so I would love for someone to logically explain : just how the students can even take the class if SPANISH isnt ALLOWED IN HER(her is a little overstating since its a public school) BUILDING. Ill keep checking back, but i won't be holding my breath. The mentality of this principal smacks of very low or no brain water at all
    God forbid a Deaf person show up and use their native Language, AMERICAN SIGN LANGUAGE, which is a bonified language with its own sytax grammar etc. I am sure they would be immediatly suspended for gangbanging, even though AMERICAN is in the offical title of their language.
    Not to mention "Dear Leader" Speaks spanish himself, and by the looks of the opinions on this website,most of the members cast their vote for him. Stop please with all the rethug hypocrisy!!!!!!
    But like i said im waitng for any kind of logical response that would help me to understand how SPANISH ISNT ALLOWED IN HER BUILDING, YET IT (foriegn lang) IS A REQUIREMENT before graduationg this district. A lot of dropouts is all i can think of.

Uno Mas....

I don't find ANY PLACE in the Constitution that mentions FREE SPEECH in a language of a person's CHOICE. WHAT COMPLETE BS.
    Can you find a place in the Constitution PROHIBITING use of their language of choice? It is against the policy of the district to suspend a student for speaking spanish. So even if you could find the prohibition of foriegn lang. in the constituition,(which you can't) in regards to free speech, this J watts has overstepped her authority. If you don't like it, well thats up to you but the Principal is wronnnnnnnng.

Dan
    I read some of the comments written on this forum and I must say shame on those who only believe that this nation is of one language. I would have to believe that this type of mentality can't be to far off of believing in one ethic group? I searched on the net to find out that 38 soldiers of Hispanic descent have recieved the Medal of Honor throughout wars. Many hispanic men and women have shed sweat and blood in all wars and still doing so as we speak. If you want to get to the bottom of things wasn't Christopher Columbus a Spaniard? Please keep in mind that United States Of America is a melting pot. The land of the free and the home of the Brave. This great nation welcomes all, no matter what race, color and religion. That's way I have served over 26 years to this great nation.

Semper Fi (Always Faithful)

" I would have to believe that this type of mentality can't be to far off of believing in one ethic group? "

Dan, this is your warning. Please read our rules. No Race Baiting. If you want to discuss this within the rules on our boards then you are welcome here.

The rules are posted at the top of the board.

Thank You,

William
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

This article sounds like a bunch of BS propaganda to get people all riled up and sympathetic to Latin language speaking people. I'll bet they couldn't find but one incidence of this in the whole damn country, yet it is big news. There could be a whole lot less or more to this story, because we all know the media does not report and sensationalize the demands placed on existing American citizens when so many illegal residents require translators.
    When this starts happening in a hundred schools, and gets confirmed to boot, I will start to worry about Americans discriminating against foreign language speaking people.

This morning, I was in court awaiting my trial. Outside in the hallway I watched as the spanish translator spent about 20 minutes with the 29 accused before their trials. She discussed how they should act, how to address the judge, what to expect, how long it would take etc.. The rest of the poor english speaking stiffs in the court (all 11 of them) got about 5 minutes of orientation.
    Americans who speak english are being sent to the back of the bus folks, I've seen it there while paying a fine. The sign is right out front:
    Interpreter matters take precedence.
    So you stand in line and wait through 20 people, but just as it's your turn, a trio of non english speaking willing workers suddenly are led to the window in front of you while the intrepeter makes the payment arrangements for them. Well maybe it's not like getting sent all the way to the back of the bus, but the same attitude is driving it.

I had my video cam in hand, and my button finger was dancing across the control panel when this was happening. I had to really restrain myself. I think I'll plan ahead and capture this a few mornings in the future, as this plays out there nearly every single weekday.
    It will not be enough to send a letter. We will have to march on washington and dictate terms in the white house

Welcome Handyman!

Not all of us agree of course. Our organization supports English as our national language. We feel a common language has been and remains part of America's strength.

I'll tell you one thing that is surely in the US Constitution and that is our right to be protected from Invasion and Congress sets a common immigration law. Both of these important Constitutional requirements have been thrown out the window by politicians and the businesses they serve.

So do you stand with us on protecting America from further invasion and enforcing the existing immigration laws?

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast