Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Armed Feds Prepare For Showdown With Nevada Cattle Rancher

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Banned
    WND

Harry Reid's revenge? FBI targeting Bundy supporters

When the April 12 standoff at the Nevada Bundy Ranch ended in a BLM stand down, an angry Harry Reid promised, "It's not over."
    Bundy supporters are about to discover what he meant -- the FBI's on the case now.

FBI investigating Bundy supporters

Claims weapons were pointed at federal officers triggers criminal investigation

Published: 11 hours ago

The FBI has launched a formal criminal investigation into the events surrounding last months standoff between the Bureau of Land Management and Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy.

Agents have been interviewing BLM agents and law-enforcement officers who had been onsite, focusing on charges Bundy supporters and militia members who joined them pointed weapons at the authorities and made threats on their lives, reports KLAS-TV, Las Vegas.
    FBI agents have interviewed Clark County Sheriff Doug Gillispie, Assistant Sheriff Joe Lombardo and a squad of Metro police officers who served as a buffer between Bundy’s supporters and the BLM forces. A second squad is to be interviewed this week.
    “The federal authorities are conducting an investigation and I am pretty confident it is going to go into the future,” said Lombardo, who was interviewed by the FBI earlier this week.
    Asked if there would be consequences for somebody recorded on video tape or a news camera pointing a gun at a Metro officer or a federal ranger, Lombardo said yes.
    “There is definitely going to be consequences, definitely. That is unacceptable behavior. If we let it go, it would continue into the future,” he said.
    Sheriff Gillispie confirmed he was asked what he observed, but declined to give details.
    KLAS reported earlier that Metro members claimed they had feared for their lives because of so many armed supporters standing with the Bundys, who had “pointed weapons at officers, taunted them, told them they should be ready to die.”
    “When we first got out there and made a left to divide I-15, that is all you saw. You saw kids and women and horses in the backdrop and then men with guns, laying on the ground, in the back of pickup trucks. We’re going, ‘Wow, this would never happen in Las Vegas,’ But it was there. That is not a rumor. It is reality and I saw it with my own eyes,” said Metro Police Sgt. Tom Jenkins, who has been interviewed by the FBI.
    Bundy supporters have insisted in emails and calls to KLAS that no one in the crowd pointed weapons at BLM or Metro officers and that BLM rangers were the ones pointing guns at them.
    WND reported last week that Bundy’s supporters have filed a long list of complaints with police about the behavior of federal BLM agents – essentially accusing the government of thuggery.
    Government agents blocked roads, loosed attack dogs, threatened people and pointed weapons and even harassed photographers, Bundy supporters alleged, according to an AP report about the complaints.
    But Bundy told WND that he wasn’t there to tell police – or supporters – what they need to be doing, he was just trying to assess damage to his ranch and cattle herd from the partial roundup, and move forward.
    Bundy said he and his wife didn’t file the complaints with the Las Vegas police, but he knew some of those supporting him did visit with officers to raise about 40 complaints over BLM activities.
    Associated Press reported the complaints against the federal officers, which were being investigated, were filed by three of Bundy’s sons and about a dozen other people.
    He said he hasn’t heard yet from the federal government about any of the disputed issues.
    Actually, he told WND, he has gotten a couple of certified letters, but hasn’t opened them, saying he’s going to “give them to my attorney.”
    At the time, Metro Police Sgt. Tom Jenkins had already made statements to the press indicating he had feared a situation could have developed “that would have left a lot of dead officers,” but Bundy’s assessment seemed to minimize the risk faced by the police.
    Bundy told WND, “They kept themselves pretty safe.”
    He said the only time he really noticed them was when they formed a barrier so BLM rangers could depart.
    Bundy said it would be really nice if those certified letters were apologies for the damage to his operation.

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2014/05/report-fb...VfQCfhEcog7.99

Wonder how the police investigating the police is gonna work???? The FBI investigating the BLM Hmm mm..sounds interesting guess who will be wrong????

Now lets really give recognition where recognition belongs!

Last edited by kathyet2; 05-09-2014 at 10:28 AM.

Banned

Published on May 9, 2014
    The FBI has launched a formal criminal investigation into last month's federal standoff with the supporters of Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy.

To be clear, FBI agents are focusing on the alleged misdeeds of the supporters—not the behavior of Bureau of Land Management agents.

The FBI is reportedly questioning various local police officers—while watching video footage to determine if any of Bundy's armed supporters pointed their weapons at federal agents.

67-year-old Bundy, the patriarch of a large Mormon family, first made headlines when the federal government started impounding his 900 head of cattle in early April. The standoff followed a 20-year legal battle over cattle-grazing on federal land.

The standoff involved some 200 heavily armed federal agents from the Bureau of Land Management who descended upon Bundy's ranch. Federal agents apparently did shoot and kill some of Bundy's cattle. Federal agents also damaged Bundy's property.

Yet, FBI agents have been interviewing BLM agents who had been on site—focusing on allegations that Bundy's supporters and militia members who joined them pointed weapons at the authorities and threatened their lives.

FBI agents also have interviewed:
    • Metro police Sheriff Doug Gillespie
    • Metro assistant Sheriff Joe Lombardo
    • And, among others, a Metro police unit that served as a buffer between the BLM and Bundy's supporters

Lombardo was quoted as saying: "The federal authorities are conducting an investigation and I am pretty confident it is going to go into the future."

And according to the World Net Daily news website: "Asked if there would be consequences for somebody recorded on video tape or a news camera pointing a gun at a Metro officer or a federal ranger, Lombardo said 'yes.'"

Some Metro police officers claimed they had feared for their lives because so many armed supporters stood with the Bundy family. No shots were fired. And federal agents eventually backed down and left.

Bundy's supporters, reportedly numbering in the thousands, say government agents blocked roads, released attack dogs, pointed their weapons at them and harassed photographers.

The government claims Bundy owes $1.1 million in unpaid grazing fees and penalties for continuing to let his cattle roam free on land 80 miles northeast of Las Vegas—even after the government decreed the area as a protected habitat for the endangered desert tortoise.

But while the FBI is looking for the slightest indication that any Bundy supporter pointed a weapon at authorities, the issue of federal agents running guns to ruthless Mexican drug cartels under Operation Fast and Furious still has not been fully resolved—despite the fact that Congressional committees have held numerous hearings on this matter.

Attorney General Eric Holder himself has been put on the hot seat in Washington, where he danced around questions about his role in, or knowledge of, Fast and Furious. Holder soon became known as Eric the "With-Holder."

Indeed, the Department of Justice, under which the FBI operates, has been furiously burying the Fast and Furious debacle in layers of denial and bureaucracy. Simply put, the truth has been denied.

So, in a nation where all roads lead to Washington, the real question is whether the federal government has the moral authority to waste tax dollars on any minor misdeeds possibly committed by Bundy's supporters. Perhaps we as a nation should instead conduct our own investigation into the FBI and BLM, examine their budgets, and decide if these agencies really serve the people.

FACEBOOK IS REMOVING THIS PICTURE FROM OUR NEWS FEEDS, PLEASE SHARE NOW and change your news feed settings from 'top story' to 'most recent'. With over 4,000 shares, facebook has OBVIOUSLY removed it from entering the 'top stories' news.

Share if you think these men should have stood with us at the Bundy Ranch... instead of against us.

Here's the link of the original pics. Since I was there, I know the pictures are accurate. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kn9in6k61n0gxut/H05n8MhRAe#/

Last edited by kathyet2; 05-10-2014 at 10:27 AM.

Banned

Banned
    FBI, Bundy support, Killer Cops, and the Net

Published on May 10, 2014
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/09/politic...
    http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/p...
    http://www.savetheinternet.com/net-ne...
    http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs...
    http://www.policebrutality.info/

• Category

News & Politics

• License

Standard YouTube License

ATTENTION !!!! Looks like the BLM is back!!

Banned
    Meet the US Senate Candidate Who’s Standing With Cliven Bundy

By Chris Good@c_good
    Follow on Twitter

May 9, 2014 2:09pm
    Georgia Senate candidate Derrick Grayson didn’t have much going on last Saturday so he headed out to Nevada to check out Cliven Bundy’s ranch and meet with the rancher whose armed standoff with the Bureau of Land Management, and whose musings about “the negro” and slavery, caused successive waves of headlines and national curiosity.

“That particular Saturday, I didn’t have anything on my schedule,” Grayson, who is black, told ABC News in a phone interview. “I wasn’t going to campaign. I had the time, so I decided to fly out there on my own nickel to say hello.”

The network engineer, faith-based volunteer, first-time candidate and self-proclaimed “minister of truth,” is fighting an uphill battle for Georgia’s Republican Senate nomination, running in a seven-way May 20 primary against David Perdue, the businessman, former Dollar General CEO, and cousin of former governor Sonny Perdue; the Sarah-Palin-endorsed former Georgia secretary of State Karen Handel; GOP Reps. Paul Broun, Phil Gingrey, and Jack Kingston; and patent attorney Art Gardner.

Grayson records YouTube videos on politics from his car and operates an all-volunteer campaign staff.

After Bundy speculated that African-Americans might be better off as slaves, prompting erstwhile supporters in the national political sphere to yank any potential affiliation, Grayson did the opposite.

He recorded a YouTube video defending Bundy and remarking: “What the man said is nothing I have not said. Now some people might be trippin’ because he used the word ‘colored,’ but that’s what they used to call us back in the day,” accusing the national media of seeking to divide Americans and detract from the substance of Bundy’s dispute with BLM by emphasizing his comments on race.

Grayson promised in that same video to visit Bundy after his May 20 primary, but with a free day, he flew out early.

Grayson described the experience to ABC News.

“I went out there to show my support for him, because I understand the seriousness of government overreach, and I wanted to thank him for being an example of how an American stands up to tyrannical rule,” Grayson said, calling the visit “enlightening.”

“[I] toured the ranch, I met the militia members,” Grayson said.

He and Bundy “hung out, laughed, and we talked about his issues. I got a firsthand account about what’s going on. Rumors were dispelled about infighting between militia members, which was not the case.”

Grayson called Bundy a “personable man, very friendly, and he’s a Constitutionalist.”

About 100 supporters are still gathered on Bundy’s ranch, Grayson told ABC. In support of Bundy’s resistance to BLM’s attempt to seize his cattle herd, after he illegally grazed them on federally owned land, supporters gathered at Bundy’s ranch outside Las Vegas last month, many of them bearing sidearms.

Last month, BLM spokesman Craig Leff, told The New York Times that BLM had shifted focus from its attempt to confiscate Bundy’s cattle.

“Our focus is pursuing this matter administratively and judicially,” Leff told the paper.

“This is a matter of fairness and equity, and we remain disappointed that Cliven Bundy continues to not comply with the same laws that 16,000 public lands ranchers do every year,” BLM Director Neil Kornze said in an April 12 statement provided to ABC News.

Grayson told ABC they’re now arranged in several campsites, their food stored in a makeshift warehouse lined with canned goods, bottled water and gatorade. One man with an RV lets Bundy supporters use his shower; on some days, supporters rent hotel rooms in which they can bathe. A “sentry” with a walkie-talkie prevents just anyone from wandering up to Bundy’s house.

“Imagine roughing it, that’s what they were doing,” Grayson said.

Grayson wasn’t the only black person there. He told ABC that he met two others who support Bundy in his struggle with BLM — and he stood by his assessment that Bundy is not a racist, comparing him to primary opponent Rep. Jack Kingston, who drew criticism for suggesting poor students should sweep cafeteria floors to accrue a work ethic.

“I understand where he was coming from. He maybe chose the wrong analogy like Mr. Kingston did,” Grayson told ABC of Bundy’s comment that the struggles of low-income African-Americans arose “because they never learned to pick cotton.”

Neither man is a racist, and Bundy’s comment was “not offensive,’ Grayson said, telling ABC that government assistance has “created a culture of generational welfare” for African-Americans.

“My grandmother who picked cotton, and my mom who picked cotton as a child, my grandmother had a work ethic,” Grayson added. “She had 13 children that she had to raise and ended up for a time moving into the projects, but because my grandmother had a work ethic, she didn’t stay in the projects … that’s not how she wanted to raise her children.”

One of Grayson’s campaign volunteers originally filmed Bundy making those now-infamous remarks, Grayson said. Jason Patrick had traveled to Nevada to support Bundy, posting videos from the ranch on an account at the video site Bambuser throughout April. The full interview of Bundy, posted by Patrick, was later clipped and posted elsewhere, Grayson said.

The two did talk about race during Grayson’s visit.

“Race doesn’t matter to the people who are violating our constitutional principles,” Grayson said, “but they make it matter to keep us divided.”

One thing Grayson didn’t come away with: a campaign contribution.

“I certainly didn’t ask him for a donation, and nobody on my team better not have either, because that’s not why I went out there,” he said.

This post was updated with further comment from the Bureau of Land Management

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...-cliven-bundy/

Banned
    ‘Harry Greed’: Democrat Leader Harry Reid Getting Obliterated on Facebook

April 17, 2014 By Matthew Burke

Democrat Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid is getting crushed on his public Facebook page, following his involvement in the Obama BLM invasion of the Bundy Ranch. At the time of this writing, below is a list of comments, not randomly selected, but shown in the exact order listed on his page to his most recent Facebook post. (WARNING: some posts contain graphic language)

The post of Reid’s had nothing to do with the Obama BLM invasion, but was 12 photos labeled as “Tour of the Downtown Project with Tony Hsieh.”

One cleaver Facebook poster cleverly referred to the Democrat senator as “Harry Greed,” a label that may stick, considering Reid’s long history of alleged corruption and cronyism.

About Matthew Burke

Matthew Burke is a former Financial Advisor/Planner for 24 years. He was a 2010 Constitutional Conservative candidate for U.S. Congress in Washington State. View all Posts by Matthew Burke

http://www.tpnn.com/2014/04/17/harry-greed-democrat-leader-harry-reid-getting-obliterated-on-facebook/

Banned

The best defense is a good offense!!

Banned

Banned
    After Bundy Ranch Fiasco, Reid Exposed as Real Extremist

By: Alex Newman

04/24/2014

In the wake of the now-infamous federal abuse unleashed on the Bundy ranching family and its supporters in Nevada, defenders of the heavy-handed terror tactics employed by the Obama administration’s Bureau of Land Management are finding themselves increasingly marginalized as potentially violent extremists.

That is especially true for U.S. Sen. Harry Reid (shown, D-Nev.), who after launching a series of bizarre tirades against the ranchers and their friends, is being widely criticized and ridiculed — especially for his dangerous attempt to equate American citizens who protest government with “domestic terrorists.”
    As The New American and much of the national media have been reporting for weeks, the Obama administration, led by a former Reid staffer who took over the BLM, descended on the Bundy ranch with heavily armed agents. Making matters worse, officials even tried to corral protesters into an unconstitutional “Free Speech zone,” sparking nationwide outrage. The David vs. Goliath-style violence and abuse by the feds, much of it videotaped and posted online, shocked the conscience of ordinary Americans.
    Incredibly, amid the operation to remove so-called “trespass cattle” from supposed “federal” land, BLM agents even tasered and assaulted some members of the family and its supporters, hundreds of whom came from across America to stand with the beleaguered ranchers whose family has been there since the 1800s. The feds also came under severe criticism for unleashing a dog on a pregnant woman, assaulting a cancer victim, tasering a rancher, and aiming sniper rifles at peaceful protesters. Outrage is still growing.
    The supposed reason for the federal intimidation and violence against the family surrounds alleged unpaid grazing “fees” and a desert tortoise that the federal government claims to be trying to protect. However, as The New American and many other publications have documented, there is almost certainly more to the story. Sen. Reid and his family, for example, are being accused of corruption yet again for having multiple financial conflicts of interest, perhaps explaining their fanatical reaction to the standoff. Many lawmakers, though, say it is part of a much deeper problem.

“This is not an isolated incident and is part of a broader war on rural America,” Washington State Rep. Matthew Shea, who is working with other Western officials to evict the feds, told The New American. Another lawmaker seeking to wrest control over the almost 50 percent of land in the West claimed by the U.S. government, Utah House Speaker Becky Lockhart, said: “What’s happened in Nevada is really just a symptom of a much larger problem.”
    Either way, the extreme reaction by the Obama administration and supporters of the federal machinations in Nevada has sparked a potentially historic backlash that is growing quickly. Indeed, after the Bundy ranch standoff, the issue has become one of the major concerns facing liberty-minded Americans, earning non-stop media coverage for weeks that has still not died down. In Congress, though, it is increasingly becoming a partisan subject among the lawmakers who have commented, with radical Big Government advocates exposing their true colors — and their dangerous violent tendencies.
    Click here to read the entire article.
    Photo of Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.): AP Images

http://jbs.org/home/after-bundy-ranc...eal-extremists

Thursday, 24 April 2014 11:28

After Bundy Ranch Fiasco, Reid and Co. Exposed as Real Extremists

Written by Alex Newman

In the wake of the now-infamous federal abuse unleashed on the Bundy ranching family and its supporters in Nevada, defenders of the heavy-handed terror tactics employed by the Obama administration’s Bureau of Land Management are finding themselves increasingly marginalized as potentially violent extremists. That is especially true for U.S. Sen. Harry Reid (shown, D-Nev.), who after launching a series of bizarre tirades against the ranchers and their friends, is being widely criticized and ridiculed — especially for his dangerous attempt to equate American citizens who protest government with “domestic terrorists.”
    As The New American and much of the national media have been reporting for weeks, the Obama administration, led by a former Reid staffer who took over the BLM, descended on the Bundy ranch with heavily armed agents. Making matters worse, officials even tried to corral protesters into an unconstitutional “Free Speech zone,” sparking nationwide outrage. The David vs. Goliath-style violence and abuse by the feds, much of it videotaped and posted online, shocked the conscience of ordinary Americans.
    Incredibly, amid the operation to remove so-called “trespass cattle” from supposed “federal” land, BLM agents even tasered and assaulted some members of the family and its supporters, hundreds of whom came from across America to stand with the beleaguered ranchers whose family has been there since the 1800s. The feds also came under severe criticism for unleashing a dog on a pregnant woman, assaulting a cancer victim, tasering a rancher, and aiming sniper rifles at peaceful protesters. Outrage is still growing.

The supposed reason for the federal intimidation and violence against the family surrounds alleged unpaid grazing “fees” and a desert tortoise that the federal government claims to be trying to protect. However, as The New American and many other publications have documented, there is almost certainly more to the story. Sen. Reid and his family, for example, are being accused of corruption yet again for having multiple financial conflicts of interest, perhaps explaining their fanatical reaction to the standoff. Many lawmakers, though, say it is part of a much deeper problem.
    “This is not an isolated incident and is part of a broader war on rural America,” Washington State Rep. Matthew Shea, who is working with other Western officials to evict the feds, told The New American. Another lawmaker seeking to wrest control over the almost 50 percent of land in the West claimed by the U.S. government, Utah House Speaker Becky Lockhart, said: “What’s happened in Nevada is really just a symptom of a much larger problem.”
    Either way, the extreme reaction by the Obama administration and supporters of the federal machinations in Nevada has sparked a potentially historic backlash that is growing quickly. Indeed, after the Bundy ranch standoff, the issue has become one of the major concerns facing liberty-minded Americans, earning non-stop media coverage for weeks that has still not died down. In Congress, though, it is increasingly becoming a partisan subject among the lawmakers who have commented, with radical Big Government advocates exposing their true colors — and their dangerous violent tendencies.
    For instance, Sen. Reid, already facing multiple scandals and possibly about to lose control of the Senate, has increasingly marginalized himself as part of the lunatic fringe amid the debacle. “Those people who hold themselves out to be patriots are not. They're nothing more than domestic terrorists,” the controversial Senate majority leader said last week after the BLM decided to back off from the highly questionable operation at the Bundy ranch. “I repeat: What went on up there was domestic terrorism.” It was not clear what exactly the senator viewed as “terrorism” or what definition of the term he was relying on.
    Still, consider very carefully the implications of what Reid is saying — especially in light of the ongoing terror war, in which the Obama administration claims the authority to unilaterally murder or indefinitely imprison anyone, including Americans, without even charges or trial. Indeed, some of the most deranged and fanatical elements of the far Left have even called for federal drone strikes to assassinate the Bundy family and their supporters. Others on the violent pro-Big Government fringe were even hoping for a Waco-style massacre.
    On the other side of the aisle, though, as Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) suggested, cooler heads have largely prevailed. Republican U.S. Sen. Dean Heller, also of Nevada, for example, defended the Bundy family and its supporters across America, blasting the feds’ effort to “march an army” in there to cut off access to the land. “What Senator Reid may call domestic terrorists, I call patriots,” Sen. Heller added on KSNV-TV in Las Vegas. The senator also reportedly spoke with the BLM boss to express “great disappointment” and urge the agency to make changes to “preserve Nevadans’ constitutional rights.”
    The governor of Nevada was also alarmed by the federal agency’s trampling on the unalienable rights of his constituents. “No cow justifies the atmosphere of intimidation which currently exists nor the limitation of constitutional rights that are sacred to all Nevadans,” Gov. Brian Sandoval, also a Republican, said about the fiasco. “The BLM needs to reconsider its approach to this matter and act accordingly.”
    Some of the harshest remarks came from U.S. Rep. Steve Stockman of Texas, another lawmaker developing a reputation as a firm supporter of the Constitution and his oath of office. In a letter to Obama, extremist Interior Department Secretary Sally Jewel, and BLM boss Neil Kornze — the former Reid staffer — Stockman lambasted the administration’s lawless constitutional violations and demanded an end to the out-of-control operations.
    Stockman also discovered that the feds’ extreme tactics employed at the Bundy ranch are not authorized by law — let alone the Constitution. “Because of this standoff, I have looked into BLM’s authority to conduct such paramilitary raids against American citizens, and it appears that BLM is acting in a lawless manner in Nevada,” he wrote, citing limited powers granted to the federal government and the fact that even under U.S. law, the BLM has no authority to exercise police powers.
    “The federal government must not only stand down, but remove all federal personnel from anywhere near the Bundy ranch,” Rep. Stockman continued in his stinging rebuke of the administration’s bizarre and dangerous behavior in the Nevada case. Instead, if the federal government has legitimate business somewhere, it should rely on local law enforcement, which does have authority in its respective jurisdiction. In the Bundy case, that would have been the county sheriff, who critics said should have been arresting rogue BLM agents for their lawless violations of rights under color of law.
    Outside of Congress and the political realm, similar trends are taking place in the media. On one side, Fox News, many newspapers, and most of the alternative media have taken a balanced approach to the story. At the same time, some Big Government propaganda outlets have joined the Reid family’s extremist crusade against the American people.
    The fringe leftist MSNBC, for example — perhaps the most extreme national (despite its rapidly imploding market share and credibility) media outlet in the nation — in a fit of bizarre paranoia on the Chris Hayes show, even claimed the ranchers and their supporters were “insurgents” somehow engaged in a “little insurgency.” Consider, again, the implications of those violent statements in light of how the U.S. government has been treating so-called “insurgents” and “terrorists.” Already, the federal government has made clear that it considers Americans and veterans with mainstream political views to be potential terrorists, too.
    Still, outside of the most extreme pro-Total Government “media” hacks, Reid’s outlandish comments were earning the controversial senator fierce rebukes from across the political spectrum. Even some stalwart establishment media outlets such as the Washington Post blasted the senator’s derangement in referring to American citizen protesters as “domestic terrorists” — as well as the frightening implications of such extreme rhetoric.
    “The comparison is as noxious as it is absurd,” observed Post columnist Marc Thiessen on April 21 in a stinging piece lambasting Reid’s extreme comments. “It would be easy to dismiss Reid as a buffoon with a chronic case of logorrhea.... But instead of painting conservatives as extremists, Reid is only painting Democrats as enemies of the Western way of life.... Calling his opponents ‘domestic terrorists’ won’t solve his political problems — it will only make them worse.”
    With radical Democrats in Congress and the press becoming increasingly marginalized as potentially violent extremists in the wake of the Bundy fiasco, now would be an excellent time to rein in the federal government. Good first steps, critics say, would be to strip it of its unconstitutional land holdings across the West once and for all, reining in its various violations of the Constitution in other areas, along with disarming its swarms of heavily armed storm troopers.
    Already, as The New American reported this week, a fast-growing coalition of lawmakers and elected officials from Western states are rising up to do just that, and they are optimistic about eventual success. With enough public pressure — and with extremist Democrats expected to get crushed in the upcoming mid-term elections — the American people have an excellent opportunity to start restoring constitutional government.
    Photo of Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.): AP Images

Alex Newman is a correspondent for The New American, covering economics, education, environment, politics, and more. He can be reached at anewman@thenewamerican.com. Follow him on Twitter @ALEXNEWMAN_JOU.
    Related articles:

Questions Raised About Senator Reid’s Connection to Bundy Ranch Dispute

Lawmakers Unveil Plan to Liberate Western Lands and Evict Feds
    Western States Want Feds to Surrender “Federal” Land
    War on the West: Why More Bundy Standoffs Are Coming
    Feds Exploit “Threatened” Bird for Massive Land Grab
    Last Man Standing: Nevada Ranch Family in Fedgov Face-off
    Bundy's Case: Feds Do Not Own the Land Where His Cattle Graze
    BLM's Seizure of Nevada Rancher's Land Rights Unconstitutional
    Harry Reid Bolsters Son’s Interests in Chinese Solar Plant Deal
    Judge Blasts Federal Conspiracy; Ranch Family Vindicated — Again

http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews...eal-extremists
    Last edited by kathyet2; 05-26-2014 at 08:17 AM.

Banned
    Posted June 17, 2014 - 8:01am Updated June 17, 2014 - 6:21pm

Nevada Indian reservations to grow under Reid bills

Sen. Harry Reid, D-Nev., has introduced a bill that would expand the 75,000-acre Moapa Band of Paiutes reservation outside Las Vegas by more than 26,000 acres. (Las Vegas Review-Journal file)
    GARY THOMPSON/LAS VEGAS REVIEW-JOURNAL LOCAL Darren Daboda, chairman of the Moapa Band of Paiute, appears at the Southern Nevada Health District board meeting to voice the tribe's concerns about the waste landfill expansion at Reid Gardner power plant proposed by Nevada Energy. 10-28-10
    The Reid Gardner Power Plant and it's coal ash landfill loom over the Moapa Band of Paiutes reservation north of Las Vegas on April 20, 2012. (Jason Bean/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
    The Moapa Band of Paiutes and their supporters protest the Reid Gardner Power Plant and it's coal ash landfill in front of the Lloyd George Federal Courthouse in Las Vegas on April 22, 2012. (Jason Bean/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
    U.S. Sen. Harry Reid, D-Nev, stands with members of the Moapa Paiute Tribe, the Sierra Club and the Nevada Conservation League during a press conference at the National Clean Energy Summit 5.0 at the Bellagio in Las Vegas on Tuesday, Aug. 7, 2012. Reid is calling for the closure of NV Energy's Reid Gardner coal-fired station near Moapa, citing health risks to those who live near the plant. (Jessica Ebelhar/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
    William Anderson, tribal chairman of the Moapa Band of Paiutes, listens to U.S. Sen. Harry Reid, D-Nev., speak during the National Clean Energy Summit 5.0 at the Bellagio in Las Vegas on Tuesday, Aug. 7, 2012. In a press conference today, Reid called for the closure of NV Energy's Reid Gardner coal-fired station near Moapa, citing health risks to those who live near the plant. (Jessica Ebelhar/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
    MoapaTribal Chairman William Anderson speaks to local activists, environmentalists and leaders from other tribes as they join join the Moapa Band of Paiutes after they walked 16 miles to the site of the new Moapa Solar Project north of Las Vegas on Earth Day weekend on April 20, 2013. (Jason Bean/Las Vegas Review-Journal)
    U.S. Sen. Harry Reid, D-Nev, stands with members of the Moapa Paiute Tribe, the Sierra Club and the Nevada Conservation League during a press conference at the National Clean Energy Summit 5.0 at the Bellagio in Las Vegas on Tuesday, Aug. 7, 2012. Reid is calling for the closure of NV Energy's Reid Gardner coal-fired station near Moapa, citing health risks to those who live near the plant. (Jessica Ebelhar/Las Vegas Review-Journal)

By STEVE TETREAULT and HENRY BREAN
    LAS VEGAS REVIEW-JOURNAL

WASHINGTON – Two bills introduced Tuesday in the U.S. Senate would grant more than 26,000 acres of federal land to the Moapa Band of Paiutes outside Las Vegas and expand reservations of seven Northern Nevada Indian tribes.
    One of the bills by Sen. Harry Reid, D-Nev., would expand the 75,000-acre Paiute reservation by about a quarter by putting into trust 26,565 acres currently controlled by the Bureau of Land Management and Bureau of Reclamation. The Moapa tribe consists of 329 people, 200 of whom live on the reservation 30 miles north of Las Vegas.
    The second bill would grant almost 93,000 acres to tribes in Humboldt, Elko and Washoe counties, and to the Pyramid Lake Paiutes, whose reservation includes land in Washoe, Storey and Lyon counties.
    “Land is lifeblood to Native Americans, and this bill provides space for housing, economic development, traditional uses and cultural protection,” Reid said in a statement.“I take the many obligations that the United States has to tribal nations seriously.”
    Reid has a long relationship with Nevada tribes, and has helped them settle land and water disputes over the years. He is also trying to pressure Washington Redskins owner Dan Snyder to changing the team name considered racist and offensive by many American Indians. On Monday, Reid rejected team president Bruce Allen’s invitation to attend a game this fall. Allen said he hoped the experience would persuade the Nevada senator the team name is an expression of “solidarity” with Native Americans.
    ECONOMIC FACTORS
    Moapa Paiute tribal chairwoman Aletha Tom said Tuesday the additional land “means a great deal.”
    “It’s a good idea for our tribe, for our cultural preservation and economic development,” she said.
    In recent years, the Moapa Band of Paiutes has pursued development of renewable energy on its land, moving to fulfill a Reid ambition to make Nevada a major player in solar and wind energy generation.
    In May, federal officials cleared the way for a new 200-megawatt photo-voltaic array to be built on tribal land with the backing of NV Energy. The facility on 850 acres is expected to generate enough electricity for about 60,000 homes.
    In March, the tribe broke ground on a 250-megawatt plant billed as the first utility-scale solar project approved on tribal land. The project could generate electricity to feed 93,000 homes by the end of 2015. The City of Los Angeles has agreed to buy power from the 1,000-acre array for 25 years under a deal worth about $1.6 billion.
    Tom said the project is on land the tribe obtained in 1980, when the reservation was last expanded. If Reid’s legislation is successful, the tribe will pursue solar power development on its new land as well, she said.
    In the 1870s, the Moapa Paiute reservation spread over two and a half million acres, including much of what today is Moapa Valley, Bunkerville, Logandale, Glendale, Overton and Gold Butte. But most of it was stripped away by Congress.
    In 1980 President Jimmy Carter restored 75,000 acres, roughly 117 square miles.
    In recent years, Reid has publicly sided with the tribe in its fight against NV Energy over an aging coal-burning power plant next to the reservation. Tribe members blame smoke and blowing dust from the Reid Gardner Generating Station for making them sick and polluting their land. In 2012, Reid described the plant as a “dirty relic” and called on NV Energy to close it.
    The utility responded last year by announcing plans to shut down three of the four units at the 50-year-old power plant by the end of this year and shutter it completely in 2017.
    Barbara Boyle of the Sierra Club helped the tribe fight the power plant. She said the reservation expansion should help both the tribe and the environment.
    “After working with them on this fight, I believe that transferring more of their ancestral lands back to the Moapa Band is just, and will ensure that the land benefits the environment as well as the health of the people and their economy,” Boyle said in a statement from the national conservation group.
    Rep. Steven Horsford, D-Nev., whose district includes the Moapa Paiute reservation, said he supports the expansion.
    Sen. Dean Heller, R-Nev., is cosponsor of the bill benefiting Northern Nevada tribes, which he sees as a path to economic opportunity for them. But he is still studying the Moapa Paiute bill and seeking input from the tribe, according to spokeswoman Chandler Smith.
    OTHER RESERVATION LAND
    The second Reid bill introduced Tuesday:
    — Conveys 373 acres of BLM land to be held in trust for the Elko band of the Te-Moak Tribe of the Western Shoshone Indians.
    — Grants 19,094 acres of BLM land to be held in trust for the Fort McDermitt Paiute and Shoshone Tribe.
    — Transfers 82 acres of Forest Service land to be held in trust for the Duck Valley Shoshone Paiute Tribes.
    — Conveys 941 acres of BLM land to be held in trust for the Summit Lake Paiute Tribe.
    — Gives 13,434 acres of BLM land to be held in trust for the Reno-Sparks Indian Colony.
    — Conveys 30,669 acres of BLM land to be held in trust for the Pyramid Lake Paiute Tribe.
    — Releases the Red Spring Wilderness Study Area and conveys 28,162 acres of BLM land, including the released land, for the South Fork Band Council.
    The bill also includes 275 acres for the city of Elko for a motocross park.
    Contact Steve Tetreault at stetreault@stephensmedia.com or 202-783-1760. Find him on Twitter: @STetreaultDC.
    Contact Henry Brean at hbrean@reviewjournal.com or 702-383-0350. Find him on Twitter: @RefriedBrean.

Moapa Reservation Expansion

http://www.scribd.com/doc/230071933/...tion-Expansion

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/ne...der-reid-bills
    Last edited by kathyet2; 06-19-2014 at 12:41 PM.