Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Census Required Information?

Looks like the census is on it's way! I've heard conflicting stories on what we can "get away with" in regards what to fill out and what to leave blank. I've seen links to outdated stories and outdated regulations, so I was just wondering if anyone knew some cold. hard facts? I'd like to just fill out the number of people in my household and leave the rest blank. If I do that, I've heard that what could happen to me is anything from "nothing at all" to be "given a $5,000 fine." So which is it? Does anyone know?

There's no debate the census dabbles too far into our personal info. And I'd really like to "stick it to the man" by not filling out the whole thing. But I really am not willing to take that risk if it leads to a $5,000 fine or some census worker pounding on my door on a quiet Sunday morning.

Any input would be appreciated!
    Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented worker" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"........

Re: Census Required Information?

Awhile ago I heard they will attempt to get your info up to six times, after that it's $5000 or prison, or both.
    I think they are blowing smoke myself.....
    If Palestine puts down their guns, there will be peace.
    If Israel puts down their guns there will be no more Israel.
    Dick Morris

when asked if your black white or whatever,
    i think its question 9, answer it American or human

From an article in USAToday:

Q: My brother-in-law says I only have to report how many people live in our house. Is that right?

A: No. It's true that the Census was required in the Constitution (Article I, Section 2) to redistribute seats in the House of Representatives every 10 years. Census resisters say that's why they only need to supply the number of people in their home to comply.

But Congress over the years has passed many laws that require the Census Bureau to collect data to help administer that law. As recently as 1999, federal courts have upheld Congress' power to do this. Congress also passed various laws requiring complete and truthful responses to the Census. These are part of Title 13 of the U.S. Code. (http://uscode.house.gov/download/title_13.shtml)

Here's what will happen if your brother-in-law does this: A Census worker will call or visit his home several times to ask for the information. If he still refuses, the Census worker will get information from neighbors. If the Census worker can't reliably determine some information — such as race — it will be added later through a statistical calculation based on similar households nearby. The Census Bureau calls this "imputation."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/cen ... s-qa_N.htm

Even so, I still plan to answer only one question and that's 'how many'.

I think for question #9 I will fill in the boxes and answer as my race:
    LEGAL TAXPAYER

http://2010.census.gov/2010census/how/i ... e-form.php
    Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented worker" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"........

i called our state rep and his staffer said if you don't completely fill the census out you will face jail and a $5000 fine. she also said it didn't bother her if i was thrown in jail. i then politely reminded her that as an American taxpayer technically she worked for me and needed to show some respect. she was quiet then said 'i don't want to argue with you' i still remaining very calm said i'm not arguing just asking question and stating i find the census offensive. she gave me the 'offical' web site for the census (http://www.census.gov/acs/) maybe i'm blind but i couldn't find where it said they would throw my butt in jail.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone_Patriot
    i called our state rep and his staffer said if you don't completely fill the census out you will face jail and a $5000 fine. she also said it didn't bother her if i was thrown in jail. i then politely reminded her that as an American taxpayer technically she worked for me and needed to show some respect. she was quiet then said 'i don't want to argue with you' i still remaining very calm said i'm not arguing just asking question and stating i find the census offensive. she gave me the 'offical' web site for the census (http://www.census.gov/acs/) maybe i'm blind but i couldn't find where it said they would throw my butt in jail.
    your state rep in illinois, or your house of rep in DC ?

http://2010.census.gov/2010census/how/questions.php

Completing the 2010 form
    Can I fill the form out online?
    No, not this time. We are experimenting with Internet response options for the future

What if I don't fill in the form?
    Many residents who do not complete and return a 2010 Census form will receive a replacement form. If no form is mailed back, residents can expect a personal visit from a census taker some time after March 2010. The census taker will ask you the questions on the form, record your answers and then submit the form for your household. Learn more about the census taker.

What if I make a mistake on the form?
    If you checked the wrong box, just draw a line through it and mark the correct box for the question. If the error is in a write-in box, carefully draw a line through the incorrect entry and write the correct information as close as possible to the entry.

What if I lose the form?
    If you lost or misplaced your form, call the Telephone Questionnaire Assistance Center at 1-866-872-6868. (If you prefer a Spanish-speaking operator, then dial 1-866-928-2010.) The lines will be open from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. (your local time) seven days a week from February 25, 2010 through July 31, 2010. For the hearing-impaired, TDD 1-866-783-2010 (during the times noted above).

Do I have to fill the form in?
    Yes. Respondents are required by law to answer all questions to the best of their ability.

I still cannot find what law or what it says. I am sure that if you lie...that could open doors. Better to not ansewer at all IMHO...

Quote Originally Posted by Lone_Patriot
    Got my form today and I stick to what I said earlier - I will answer only ONE of their questions - How many persons living in your house April 1, 2010?

Maybe I missed it, but no where on the entire form did I see anything about a fine and/or jail time for not answering all the questions. Oh but there's an entire section about IF you're Hispanic and if so what variety. Didn't ask if you're Irish, Middle Eastern (coming soon), or any other 'origin'.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast