Pro-Trump pastor: Trump is 'the most pro-black' president I've ever seen

By Avery Anapol - 08/01/18 11:02 PM EDT

Pro-Trump Pastor Darrell Scott said Wednesday during a White House gathering of faith leaders that he thinks President Trump will be “the most pro-black president” in his lifetime.

Scott, a co-founder of President Trump’s National Diversity Coalition who is African-American, was one of nearly 20 inner city pastors and faith leaders attending the meeting, where lawmakers were also present.

"This is probably the most pro-active administration regarding urban America and the faith-based community in my lifetime," Scott said, according to a White House transcript of the meeting.

"This president actually wants to prove something to our community, our faith-based community and our ethnic community,” he added. “This is probably going to be... the most pro-black president I’ve seen in my lifetime.”

Scott criticized former President Barack Obama, saying he “felt like he didn’t have to prove” a dedication to the faith-based and black communities.

During the meeting, Trump spoke about the administration’s prison reform efforts, which are being largely led by White House senior adviser and Trump's son-in-law Jared Kushner, who also attended the meeting. The House passed a bipartisan prison reform bill in May.

Trump also touted the current low unemployment rate for black Americans during the meeting, a topic he has repeatedly touched on during rallies and in other public appearances.

Trump, who has earned the praise of Scott and some high-profile black celebrities, including Kanye West and conservative YouTube stars, Diamond and Silk, has been criticized harshly for his rhetoric on minorities and comments on race, including pushing the “birther” conspiracy theory that Obama was not born in the U.S.

Trump has also been condemned for his refusal to denounce white supremacist groups.

The president repeatedly has sparred with black NFL players protesting racial injustice, and sparked a major outcry for saying that there were “very fine people” on “both sides” of the violent Charlottesville white supremacist rally, that left one person dead and more than a dozen injured.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...-ive-ever-seen