Page 245 of 835 FirstFirst ... 145195235241242243244245246247248249255295345745 ... LastLast
Results 2,441 to 2,450 of 8348
Like Tree210Likes

Thread: BASIC LIST / SUGGESTED ITEMS FOR LONG TERM SURVIVAL

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 6 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 6 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    Thursday, October 11, 2012

Honey Recipe, Made Without Bees

From Our Viewer Wayne, Thanks for Sharing Wayne.

Arlene's Honey

80 Blossoms White Clover
    40 Blossoms Red Clover
    5 Wild Rose Petals (Light Pink)
    10 Cups of Sugar
    3 Cups of Water
    1/2 Teaspoon Powdered Alum

1) Combine sugar, water, alum and boil 5 minutes.
    2) Pour syrup over blossoms and rose petals. Let stand 20 minutes.
    3) Drain through cheese cloth and bottle.

Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 10-12-2012 at 07:35 PM.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Homestead Survival

My friend made the milk jug ghosts from our blog post. Turned out pretty cute.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Friday, October 5, 2012

Why Licorice?

Historically Licorice has been associated with many claims - some have been researched and considered plausible but others mere fiction.For over 3000 years it has been considered a demulcent ( soothing to irritated membranes), an expectorant ( loosening and expelling mucus secretions), an anti-inflammatory agent and as a liver protectant. It has also been said to have ulcer healing properties in the stomach.

Read more here.
    http://docmo.hubpages.com/hub/The-Benefits-and-Dangers-of-Licorice

Licorice

How to Take It:

Pediatric

Older children who have a sore throat can chew a piece of licorice root or drink licorice tea. Ask your doctor to help you determine the right dose for your child. Don't give a child licorice tea for more than a day without talking to your doctor. Never give any licorice tea to an infant or toddler.

Adult

Licorice can be taken in the following forms:

Dried root: 1 - 5 g as an infusion or decoction (boiled), 3 times daily
    Licorice 1:5 tincture: 2 - 5 mL, 3 times daily
    Standardized extract: 250 - 500 mg, 3 times daily, standardized to contain 20% glycyrrhizinic acid
    DGL extract: 0.4 - 1.6 g, 3 times daily, for peptic ulcer
    DGL extract 4:1: chew 300 - 400 mg, 3 times daily 20 minutes before meals, for peptic ulcer

Don't use these doses of licorice for longer than a week without talking to your doctor due to the risk of potentially dangerous side effects.

Precautions:

The use of herbs is a time honored approach to strengthening the body and treating disease. Herbs, however, contain components that can trigger side effects and that can interact with other herbs, supplements, or medications. For these reasons, you should take herbs with care, preferably under the supervision of a health care provider in the field of botanical medicine.

Licorice with glycyrrhizin may cause serious side effects. Too much glycyrrhizin causes a condition called pseudoaldosteronism, which can cause a person to become overly sensitive to a hormone in the adrenal cortex. This condition can lead to headaches, fatigue, high blood pressure, and even heart attacks. It may also cause water retention, which can lead to leg swelling and other problems.

Although the most dangerous effects mostly happen with high doses of licorice or glycyrrhizin, smaller amounts of licorice may cause side effects. Some people have muscle pain or numbness in the arms and legs. To be safe, ask your health care provider to monitor your use of licorice.

People with the following conditions should not take licorice:

Heart failure
    Heart disease
    Hormone-sensitive cancers, such as breast, ovarian, uterine, or prostate cancer
    Fluid retention
    High blood pressure (hypertension)
    Diabetes
    Kidney disease
    Liver disease
    Low potassium (hypokalemia)
    Erecetile dysfunction

Pregnant or breastfeeding women should not take licorice.

Read more here. http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/licorice-000262.htm

Nature's Answer Licorice Root Herbal Supplement, 1 Ounce

NOW Foods, LICORICE ROOT 450mg 100 CAPS

The Homestead Survival: Why Licorice?

Homestead Survival

The Homestead Survival

Our suggestions in response to viewers questions.

Blog Archive

Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 10-12-2012 at 07:48 PM.

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Which Bug-Out Region Do You Live In?

The feasibility of any bug out plan depends a lot on your starting point.

Obviously, some regions of the country have more to offer than others in terms of places to go. But every part of the Lower 48 has its share of potential bug out locations. The map below shows eight major regions as I've divided them for the purposes of my book: Bug Out: The Complete Plan for Escaping a Catastrophic Disaster Before It's Too Late.

There is some crossover between the regions shown here, but the illustrator has done a pretty good job of placing the demarcation lines approximately the way I have divided the bug out locations described in the book. Note the page numbers that will correspond to the beginning of each regional chapter. The first four chapters are on general information and planning, including gear and methods of transportation.

My reasoning for these divisions is that these specific regions offer distinct variations in terrain, climate and plant and animal communities. Again, there is some crossover in some areas, but anyone familiar with all these areas of the U.S. will see how survival skills and gear can be different from one region to the next. Natural hazards including everything from weather to dangerous wildlife vary according to these regions, as do resources such as the availability or lack or water, edible plants and game animals. It is this variation that made working on this book such an interesting project for me over the past several months, not to mention the real time I've spent out there backpacking, canoeing and kayaking in all of these regions at various times during the past 25 years. Writing each chapter made me reminiscence about past trips and long to load up a canoe or backpack and go again.

My home base is in the Gulf Coast region, and I stay here because of family ties as well as my love of the water - both the rivers and the Gulf itself. I'm lucky to have a large number of bug out options close by because I live in one of the least populated states east of the Mississippi River. Those of us living in small towns or rural areas are the least likely to need to bug out to begin with, but each region on the above map has its share of densely populated cities where the residents would do well to have a working knowledge of where to go if the SHTF and they have to get out. Keep in mind that the vast majority of the populations of those cities are not going to have this knowledge and most will not even try to leave, but will instead wait for outside help that may or may not come. Out here in the small towns and rural areas of America, most of us would pull together in such a situation and help each other out, as has been proven time and time again when the big Gulf hurricanes have hit the nearby coast. In the aftermath of Katrina, the media covered the chaos and violence going down in New Orleans, while people along the even harder hit Mississippi Coast quietly rolled up their sleeves and went to work digging out of the rubble and rebuilding.

So it's obvious that where you live has a lot to do with how you should formulate your survival plans and can be a big factor in your chances of success or at least the degree of difficulty you would face. But one thing we are blessed with here in the U.S. is plenty of undeveloped and uninhabited lands. It may not seem so when you're driving past mile after mile of strip malls and suburban sprawl, but compared to so many other countries in the world there is a lot of unused land here - both public and private. Have you explored all the potential bug out locations near you? What if you travel a lot for your job or for pleasure? Do you know where the big uninhabited areas are in other regions you frequent? If not, you should think about it. I hope that this kind of information detailed in my new book will be of use not only for bug out planning, but to encourage readers to get out and explore the great wild places available their own region and other parts of the country.

Bug-Out Survival: Which Bug-Out Region Do You Live In?

The Top 50 Survival Blogs!

RANK Blog Name Score
    1 SHTF Plan 5 25877 12
    2 SurvivalBlog 5 30126 11
    3 The Survival Podcast 4 32944 10
    4 Urban Survival 5 60732 8
    5 The Survivalist Blog 5 77585 7
    6 The Survival & Emergency Preparedness Blog 3 54062 7
    7 In Case Of Emergency 6 2464161 6
    8 Off Grid Survival 5 127741 5
    9 Pioneer Survival Blog 5 285809 5
    10 Willow Haven Outdoor 5 531340 5
    11 Preparedness Pantry 5 610228 5
    12 Survival And Prosperity 5 1241422 5
    13 Modern Survival Blog 4 81940 5
    14 American Preppers Network 4 142687 4
    15 Modern Survival Online 4 148121 4
    16 Back Door Survival 4 154173 4
    17 The Survival Mom 4 162147 4
    18 Armageddon Online 4 225446 4
    19 Prepper Website 4 227841 4
    20 Doom And Bloom 4 229431 4
    21 Preparedness Pro 4 263665 4
    22 SHTF Blog 4 291562 4
    23 Survival Spot 4 337156 4
    24 Tactical Intelligence 4 361861 4
    25 ATEP Emergency Preparedness Blog 4 411385 4
    26 The Apartment Preppers Blog 4 442160 4
    27 Surviving In Argentina 4 517612 4
    28 TEOTWAWKI Blog 4 557554 4
    29 Survival Joe 4 625058 4
    30 Food Storage And Survival 4 715813 4
    31 Wilderness Survival Skills 4 782119 4
    32 Backwoods Survival Blog 4 810328 4
    33 Stealth Survival 4 972257 4
    34 Survival Topics 4 1102065 4
    35 Nature Skills 4 1270239 4
    36 SurvivalRing 4 1272194 4
    37 Total Survivalist Libertarian Rantfest 4 1288941 4
    38 Bug-Out Survival 4 1404977 4
    39 Disaster Preparedness Blog 4 2924103 4
    40 Be A Survivor 4 3816868 4
    41 Doug Ritter 4 3878149 4
    42 The Wilderness Survival Guide 4 4515014 4
    43 The Just In Case Book Blog 4 4859690 4
    44 CARDs Blog 4 6558220 4
    45 Preparedness And Response 4 15882754 4
    46 Survival Cache 3 103652 3
    47 Simply Canning 3 153078 3
    48 Survival And Beyond 3 271852 3
    49 Advanced Survival Guide 3 304028 3
    50 Shepherd School 3 434455 3

=> View these other great Survival Blogs that almost made the Top 50!

For Readers
    These are the top 50 blogs in the survival niche. By keeping their blogs up to date with news, ideas, and fresh and valuable content they provide you with the very best survival information. Share this list with everyone you know who is interested in learning survival.

For Advertisers
    The top 50 survival bloggers are some of the most influential in the survival niche. Getting your name and product in front of these survival bloggers and their audiences can bring increased awareness of your company and bring additional sales. If these guys don’t know who you are then you need to let them know!

For Bloggers
    These are your friends. These are people as dedicated to learning and sharing information about survival as you are. The SurvivalTop50 lets you quickly see how your blog ranks compared to your peers. Oh yeah, and we hope the SurvivalTop50 sends you tons of traffic!

How are the survival blogs ranked?
    The entire ranking is objective and for fun. The real goal of SurvivalTop50 is to bring exposure to great survival bloggers. Currently only Google and Alexa are used to rank a site and each get 10 points towards a total of 20. The better your blog does in the eyes of Google and Alexa, the better you will rank here.

Contact
    bgreen@survivaltop50.com

The Top 50 Survival Blogs!

Survival Gear Review: FLIR Scout PS series

Admittedly seeing thermal images in the stark of night is cool. Even in a limited product test mode, my mind was going wild conjuring up the multiple uses for such a tool. I was given the opportunity for a month to check out the FLIR Scout PS series handheld thermal imaging unit.

By Dr. John J. Woods, a contributing author to SurvivalCache.com

I wish it had been the open hunting season, but just think of the opportunities during SHTF events or a night time Bug Out. Without a doubt thermal imaging brings a whole new dimension to viewing live animals or other objects emitting heat that are picked up by the Scout. The prospects for using thermal imaging are endless when it comes to hunting and other applications such as security work within your Bug Out area or around the neighborhood of our Bug In.
    Uses for Thermal

The more obvious uses for preppers having thermal imaging capability include game management/herd surveys, wildlife observations, security, Bug Out camp law enforcement applications, searching for livestock, camper/hiker/preppers traversing trails at night, tracking downed game, or watching territory invaders.

For survival enthusiasts, the uses should seem more obvious. Walking or riding hide out areas at night just to survey or patrol the area has its own benefits. Anything that emits a heat signal will be picked up by the FLIR Scout. Checking out game or other critters four-footed or two would be awesome.

It also works great for spying fields, food plots, and open trails for active observational spotting. The Scout PS will spot man-sized targets out as far as 500 yards. It also works through light fog, smoke, or dust.
    FLIR PS Scout Specs

The Scout PS is a lightweight, handheld device similar to a monocular optical scope. The unit is held securely by an adjustable hand strap like a compact video camera. It is easy to use, hold steady and very portable at only 12 ounces. The unit recharges via a supplied USB cable.

The unit itself is ruggedly designed covered in a soft cushion-like material that will take field bumps, but more importantly is really easy to grasp even when wet. The design was well thought out for the user in terms of ergonomics, and grip-ability, if that is a word.

The operational control buttons are on top of the unit in a row. Once the user learns
    which button does what, it becomes second nature to turn on and adjust. The FLIR web site has excellent tutorial video guides for learning to use the PS Thermal Camera.

The PS series thermal unit can “see” heat in two modes including white hot, and black hot. In use I preferred the white hot mode. This simply means that the heat signature showing up on the screen is white as opposed to everything else being white in the background while the heat object picked up is black. It’s a matter of personal preference I guess. The white hot mode seemed clearer to me and easier to see detail.
    The FLIR PS in Use

FLIT Scout units are in such high demand for product testing by writers that I only had a short time to use the unit in the field. I took the Scout to my Bug Out camp on an overnight trip. We built a huge fire in the campfire ring out in front of the cabins to give me a base of operation to work from.

Then I set out to walk down the main camp road. I switched on the unit and changed the imaging to the white hot mode. The PS immediately began to pick up heat signatures that I would not have expected. Though it was 9 PM the tree line around camp was still emitting heat from the sunlight of the day. That was cool.

The campfire of course lit up the Scout viewing screen in red hot color. I could also easily see my campmate sitting in his chair by the fire. This was from over a hundred yards away. I picked up all types of heat escapes from the cabin as well.

I continued to stroll further from camp down the road. Next I spotted a small animal on the ground roughly 50 yards out in front of me. The image was so clear it was easy to determine the animal was a rabbit. Its entire body was shown in mostly bright white in the viewer, but more particular the rabbit’s eyes were a brilliant white.

I crept up closer and closer until I was within ten yards of it. My footsteps in the gravel road must have finally startled it as it ran into the woods. Neat. Next I heard a bird chirping up over my head, and when I put the PS on it, it too, appeared glowing white. This proved to me just how sensitive the FLIR-PS is.

Alas I did not spot any deer with the unit, but if they had been out, I am quite sure their heat visibility would have been spectacular. I learned enough with my limited testing time to appreciate the value of having the capability to read thermal images in the wild at night. Just imagine scouting your protected area with a unit like this.

At a retail price of $1999 (Amazon $1,899), the FLIR PS would be a welcomed piece of gear for a prepper or settled survivalists. The Scout PS would also be helpful in spotting trespassers or poachers where they should not be. Also if game were lost or wounded, the Scout would be great for those tracking efforts after dark. Thus, the FLIR Scout is certainly a recommended piece of high tech gear every SurvivalCache participant could use if it fits your budget.

Photos by: Dr. John J. Woods
    FLIR

Survival Gear Review: FLIR Scout PS series