Page 85 of 835 FirstFirst ... 357581828384858687888995135185585 ... LastLast
Like Tree210Likes

Thread: BASIC LIST / SUGGESTED ITEMS FOR LONG TERM SURVIVAL

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 6 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 6 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    Poorman Survival's Blog

http://poormansurvival.wordpress.com/
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 01-30-2012 at 07:07 AM.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Survival US Blog

http://www.survival.us/
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 01-30-2012 at 07:07 AM.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 01-30-2012 at 07:08 AM.

Special Survival Situations: Pregnancy

By Angela, on February 18th, 2011
    Here’s a situation that’s obviously on my mind lately. What if an emergency hits while I’m pregnant? With the rate that ladies are pregnant in this world, the possibility that someone you know is going to be expecting a little one when an emergency happens is pretty good.

I’ll say now that every woman handles pregnancy a little differently. Some get quite sick for a couple of months, then are fine. Some are seriously vomiting sick the entire nine months. Others never really feel sick, just extra tired. And everywhere in between. Those that are sick are going to need a little extra help staying nourished and hydrated, and any pregnant lady can use a little extra sleep which may be hard to come by in a survival situation, but will be extremely important to her physical and mental well being.
    Some crave certain foods–like early this pregnancy I wanted lots of milk and yogurt and usually I don’t eat much dairy. And fresh fruit has always been a pregnancy craving of mine. This goes along with the craving post, but usually a pregnant lady’s cravings are well founded–it is actually her body telling her that she needs more of a certain nutrient to build that baby right. Do you have a variety of nutrients and foods available in your food storage? Most pregnant ladies take a pre-natal vitamin to fill in the nutrition gaps–are you stocking any kind of vitamins? You’ll want to have some on hand even if nobody is pregnant, but they are especially important to building a healthy baby.
    Another consideration is that a pregnant lady’s physical ability is usually diminished over what she could do pre-pregnancy. I’m relatively fit, but when I’m expecting a baby I get a high dose of a hormone called “relaxin” which turns my hip and low back joints to jello. It is supposed to make delivery easier, but in the meantime it really affects my ability to lift, walk, run, ride a bike, hike, clean house, okay, practically anything even mildly physically demanding which are normally activities I really enjoy (except that clean the house one . . .). Just this last week it took me 2 days to quit hurting from a half hour bike ride with the kids! So you know if I had to carry my 72 hour survival kit or even pull a wagon full of kids and supplies we just wouldn’t get very far and I’d be in no shape to build us a shelter when we got where we were going! Honestly, it’s kind of frustrating, but it’s just the way my body handles getting a baby here. Something to think about. If you’re the pregnant one, think of people who could help you–your significant other, neighbor, friend, older children? If you’re not, don’t expect mama to keep up with a speedy on-foot evacuation without a little help!
    Oh yeah, and the clothes in my emergency kit won’t fit right now either.
    And then there’s labor and delivery. Cleanliness is a must. Sterility is better. Make sure if you’re expecting a baby post disaster, you’ve got a way to have some clean linens on hand for the birth. Get to know people in your area who are midwives or have some medical training. You might need them. I love those ladies who do home births or even just go through labor naturally. Bless them. As for me, the epidural is the reason I wasn’t born in pioneer times! I’m quite happy to let the hospital staff do their jobs and help get my baby here as easily as possible. I do have friends I could call on who have done the natural birth process, but I’m really hoping for no emergency on baby delivery day!
    So even if you’re a man, or a lady past baby bearing years, give pregnancy a thought when you’re prepping. There may be someone you know who has some special needs for emergencies because of the little angel she’s going to bring into the world.

http://foodstorageandsurvival.com/sp...ons-pregnancy/
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 01-30-2012 at 07:10 AM.

Baby 72 Hour Survival Kit

By Angela, on February 3rd, 2011

Babies and toddlers have a whole different set of needs than we adults do when it comes to a survival situation, so your standard survival kit isn’t going to work for them. We’ve always just stuck baby stuff in our survival kits when we had a baby in the house, but this time I’m doing something a little different. Why? Because my emergency kit is heavy enough, and sweet husband’s doesn’t have room in it for all the baby stuff, and oh yeah, this kit actually wasn’t for my baby–it was a baby shower gift for a friend.
    So I made a stand alone baby survival kit for evacuations or to toss in the car when you’re going somewhere like some event in another town or grandma’s and you might get stuck unexpectedly spending the night. If you use it for the latter, just make sure to re-stock when you get back home so it’s always ready for a real emergency!
    Here’s what I put in it:
    Goods for cleaning–Travel baby soap/lotion/etc., wipes, pack of wash rags.

More baby care items and first aid: sunblock and hand sanitizer from the travel/sample size section of the store, travel packs of tissues, basic first aid kit, Instant cold compresses, infant ibuprofen. Scratch mitts and hand warmers for warmth.

Clothes: socks, hat, 2 jammies (one is a sleeper sack so you could layer both if needed), onesie.

I put all the clothes in a gallon ziplock. You could also vacuum pack them with a foodsaver type vacuum sealer to make them smaller. This was a gift, so I wanted the new mommy to be able to get in and change the clothes around if she wants to. Clothes will need changing out as the baby grows–mark your calendar, this might be more often than every 6 months.

Diapers. These will need to be changed out as the baby grows also! Make sure to keep a current size or the next size up in your kit. Too small diapers just don’t do the job well. I put them in a ziplock, but again, they could be vacuum packed to save space. You wouldn’t believe how flat diapers get when they’re vacuum packed! Make sure to label your package with the size and how many are in it if you’re vacuum packing. If you’re planning on a long term emergency, you’ll want to pack cloth diapers and have some way of washing them. I stuck in enough diapers to probably last a week, so you’ve got a pretty good amount of time to find a source of diapers before you run out!

Feeding: bottles, bowls with lids, spoons. You’ll want to add your favorite infant formula and probably a bib or two as well right at the start. As the baby gets to solids, add a box of baby cereal and/or some dehydrated baby food along with your formula. Put formula in the kit even if you are nursing–What if dad is the one home with baby when they need to evacuate and you can’t meet up until a day or two later? Or if, heaven forbid, something happens to mom, baby still needs to eat.

Comfort items: a few small toys and a couple of blankets (also ziplocked). If you’ve got a spitty baby, put some burp rags in your kit.

And finally, some water bottles (you need something to re-constitute the formula and dry baby food), plastic bags (for dirty diapers, wet clothes, etc.), and a name tag for the bag. Put your name and phone number on the tag as well as any allergies baby has and whatever other information you want. I like to include a family picture with the tag so there’s a visual to show in case one of us gets separated.

Put it all in your bag and it’s ready to go! You might want to also include or have nearby a baby sling or other carrier so you’ve got hands free to carry whatever else needs taken.
    Baby Survival Kit

Now here’ s the deal. You can spend a lot of money on this if you want. I spent about $30.00, but some of the things like the hats, socks, water, onesies, bowls, and spoons came in “packs” that I split up so I’ll be using the other half of the pack to stock my own baby’s survival kit. The bag, jammies, blankets and toys were purchased at the thrift store and washed really well before packing. If you are the one having the baby, you may get a lot of this stuff as baby gifts or have it left over from one of your other kids–use that to stock your baby survival kit and you’ll get it put together even more inexpensively. And if it’s built as a stand alone kit instead of baby stuff in your kit, anyone can carry it or it can be used for the weekend getaway and then re-stocked when you get back. And yes, it’s a great baby shower gift.

http://foodstorageandsurvival.com/ba...-survival-kit/
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 01-30-2012 at 07:24 AM.

Family Survival Blog
    Survival Preparedness Tips for Families

http://familysurvivalblog.com/
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 01-30-2012 at 07:25 AM.

The Survival Blog

http://www.survivalsun.com/
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 01-30-2012 at 07:25 AM.

Probe to Reveal Link Between Vaccine Settlements and Autism Parts 1 of 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTWBFLe5VE8

Probe to Reveal Link Between Vaccine Settlements and Autism 2 of 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aja4KZ_Jxz4

May 9, 2011

Alisyn Cameroda discusses the autism cases in the Vaccine Injury Compensation Program with Dr. Sarah Bridges, the mother of a child with autism paid by the program after a severe vaccine reaction that causes brain damage including autism. Millions have been paid from the VICP to dozens of families of children who regressed into autism after being vaccinated.
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 01-30-2012 at 07:27 AM.

Snack On Pistachios To Keep Healthy Weight

May 17, 2011

by Personal Liberty News Desk

Nuts have gotten a bad reputation in the past because of their high-calorie, high-fat content. But a growing body of research has suggested that the compounds present in nuts are actually quite healthy and can help keep excess body fat at bay.

In a study that was conducted at the University of California, Los Angeles, a team of researchers found that dieting obese participants who snacked on 240 calories worth of pistachios each day were more likely to reach their weight loss goal than their counterparts who were allowed pretzels as snacks, totaling about 220 calories per serving.

"Snackers often think pretzels are a better choice for weight management compared to a nut like pistachios just because they are lower in fat. This study debunks that myth," said co-author David Heber, M.D., Ph.D.

During the 12-week study, the participants who snacked on nuts consumed about 30 percent of their total calories in fat, whereas the pretzel group's fat intake accounted for just 20 percent of their daily calories.

http://www.personalliberty.com/news/sna ... 05_17_PLA_[P11636678]&rrid=238434262
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 01-30-2012 at 07:28 AM.

Weather And Foods Can Trigger Headaches

Weather And Foods Can Trigger Headaches

July 20, 2010
    by Bob Livingston

Did you know that the weather can trigger your most excruciating headaches or migraines? Other triggers include red wine, perfume and food allergies. But according to a study in Neurology, every five-degree increase in the temperature increases hospital-related headache visits by 7.5 percent.

Keeping a headache diary to track your individual occurrences may prove helpful.

Record your food intake, beverages, medications and activities for the week, plus the time your headache begins and ends.

You may be able to see a pattern in your headaches and be prepared to help prevent them.

http://www.personalliberty.com/health-t ... headaches/
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 01-30-2012 at 07:29 AM.